Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 AM

15,202 posts, read 10,210,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I'm in my mid-40's and just decided to quit going to the gyno. I've been married forever, don't need birth control, and I am certainly past my childbearing years. I'm not declared "at risk" for any female health issues either.

I don't get the mammo every year either although my insurance pays for it. I've had a few already which were totally normal. I'll go every couple years. Again, I don't advise this for everyone, but I am not at risk and I'm in excellent health. However, I wold certainly get one if something was off.

I do see my primary care doc every year for a physical and any boosters I may need.
I was 55 and there was no history of breast cancer in my family. Diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer after a routine mammogram followed by a breast ultrasound. All my previous mammograms were normal although I had "dense" breasts. If I were you I wouldn't skip mammograms entirely.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:44 AM

14,226 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I was 55 and there was no history of breast cancer in my family. Diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer after a routine mammogram followed by a breast ultrasound. All my previous mammograms were normal although I had "dense" breasts. If I were you I wouldn't skip mammograms entirely.
Shh, certain people here will tell you that you got breast cancer because you had mammograms.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:56 AM

6,416 posts, read 7,626,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Um, they DO...well, at least mine always have. Before every invasive test my provider has either explained potential risks of the procedure or handed me literature about it. Doesn't your provider require you to sign an informed consent form? Mine does. But then I have this bad habit...when someone suggests a diagnostic test I haven't had before I ask about possible complications first. Usually they beat me to the draw.
When I went to Urgent Care I was required to electronically sign four unread documents so I asked for paper copies to read while I waited. The girl slammed the copier around and protested that it is an electronic office so people no longer get paper copies. Yikes, they can quickly change any part of any document without the patient knowing it! When I did get to read the docs, I discovered that I had unknowingly given consent to data mine my info to non-government, unregulated companies who make money off my information. It doesn't seem fair that they have all the advantage and keep us in the dark about risks and who they really sell our information to for their profit.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:00 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,727,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Can't the health insurance company force you to have screenings - is not having regular screenings a cause for cancellation of one's policy? I was just wondering about that.

I've never heard of this happening, and I don't think it would be a new initiative by the insurance companies. You have the right to refuse any care or screening that you decide you do not want. Now, if you leave the hospital against medical advice, sometimes insurance will not pay for the stay, but they don't cancel policies due to lack of screening.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:06 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
When I went to Urgent Care I was required to electronically sign four unread documents so I asked for paper copies to read while I waited. The girl slammed the copier around and protested that it is an electronic office so people no longer get paper copies. Yikes, they can quickly change any part of any document without the patient knowing it! When I did get to read the docs, I discovered that I had unknowingly given consent to data mine my info to non-government, unregulated companies who make money off my information. It doesn't seem fair that they have all the advantage and keep us in the dark about risks and who they really sell our information to for their profit.
I think I saw a rep from you about not using a D.O. We have many excellent D.O's in my area and I use both Integrative Md and DO. A DO found the answer to 10 yrs of depression back in the 90's. He knew his work and years of medicine from his time. He was still working in his 90's, PT but still available to his longtime patients. I avoid allopathic MD's. They lost me a long time ago.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:13 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,727,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
I

I put off dental X-rays as long as humanly possible. I just hate the idea of any form of (even slight) radiation, let alone near my head...

You might want to stop flying also if you don't like radiation. The amount of radiation you are exposed to with dental Xrays is about the same as a two hour flight.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:17 PM

3,706 posts, read 2,652,613 times
"Screenings" are the cash cow of the failed conventional medical system.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:00 PM

689 posts, read 968,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
You might want to stop flying also if you don't like radiation. The amount of radiation you are exposed to with dental Xrays is about the same as a two hour flight.
Quite aware thank you. We all pick our poisons though, don't we?

Old 09-03-2019, 02:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,745,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I didn`t know that you could stop test after a certain age. Are you over 100.?
Apparently, you're under the mistaken impression that the patient isn't the boss with respect to testing.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:37 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,658,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Quite aware thank you. We all pick our poisons though, don't we?
Not to mention that there is no way to make a direct comparison between those two scientifically. Even if we suppose that the total amounts of radiation are equal (and there are way too many variables to establish that as broad-brush fact), the effect of receiving it all in a millisecond zap to a very localized area would logically be far different than for the same total exposure over 2 hours to the entire body. I'd put my money on the flight being much safer without hesitation.

Those kinds of comparisons are marketing tools dreamed up to support industry agenda and are useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.