Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 03:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,921,573 times

Advertisements

My DH had a foot of his colon removed a number of years ago. The lesion was discovered in a routine colonoscopy. He is alive today because this was caught before it could do damage. Prior to the surgery he had no symptoms.

When I was very young, my mother noticed that I was tired and lethargic. I had my first blood test and we discovered that I was anemic. I’ve had several blood tests through the years that showed anemia, even when I was not aware of being unusually tired.

Like many of you, I tend to see the doc only when necessary. But doing routine testing seems a useful way to check one’s health, and to find out how to improve.

Just because some docs do more tests than we think are necessary, does not mean ALL medical tests are a waste of time and money.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:06 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,724,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Not to mention that there is no way to make a direct comparison between those two scientifically. Even if we suppose that the total amounts of radiation are equal (and there are way too many variables to establish that as broad-brush fact), the effect of receiving it all in a millisecond zap to a very localized area would logically be far different than for the same total exposure over 2 hours to the entire body. I'd put my money on the flight being much safer without hesitation.

Those kinds of comparisons are marketing tools dreamed up to support industry agenda and are useless.

My comparison was not a marketing tool to support industry agenda, but based on knowledge of radiation principles. You all are free to do whatever you like.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:09 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My DH had a foot of his colon removed a number of years ago. The lesion was discovered in a routine colonoscopy. He is alive today because this was caught before it could do damage. Prior to the surgery he had no symptoms.

When I was very young, my mother noticed that I was tired and lethargic. I had my first blood test and we discovered that I was anemic. I’ve had several blood tests through the years that showed anemia, even when I was not aware of being unusually tired.

Like many of you, I tend to see the doc only when necessary. But doing routine testing seems a useful way to check one’s health, and to find out how to improve.

Just because some docs do more tests than we think are necessary, does not mean ALL medical tests are a waste of time and money.
My daughter went to docs for years with anemia and they didn't help her. The growth hormone she's using reversed the anemia. No doctor involved.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:27 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,630,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
My comparison was not a marketing tool to support industry agenda, but based on knowledge of radiation principles. You all are free to do whatever you like.
Wow, if I've heard that claim once, I've heard it 10,000 times over the last several decades. But never before have I heard anyone claim to be its source.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:29 PM

10,180 posts, read 6,226,409 times
Jamin, you are about 10 years my senior. Did your parents have all of these screening tests? I do not remember mine ever having them.

I will admit that while I was raising my own kids 35+ years ago, I never paid very much attention to my heath. My kids health concerns where my #1 priority. After they were grown and I was in my 50's, I still didn't care. Made it this long so never gave it a second thought. It is now 20 years later for me at 70. How did we make it this far without Preventive Medicine and constantly seeing doctors for this and that?

Until 10 years ago I worked in a Public School District which had a Wellness Program. I was totally in "non-compliance" with all of their FREE screenings. My premiums went from $0 to $400/month. Sorry, but NO, I QUIT, and went without health insurance for 5 years until I aged into Medicare precisely at the time that the ACA went into effect. Yeah, my husband could have covered me for $700/month but that would have been a total waste of money. Yes, people on here that is in hindsight as well. Pure "luck" nothing happened to me, or in the 10 years since then.

I have recently been searching to get a DNR. Hubs mentioned this to HIS doctor who said have her come to see me. "She ain't going to see you". Yeah, and what would he DO? Just TALK? No. You need this test, that test. Let's see what conditions you have before I will "grant" you a DNR. Expletive delete. Found out I can get an Advanced Directive with a DNR WITHOUT any doctor signing it.

Follow the $$$$ with the medical profession, and all these preventive screening tests.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 PM

1,487 posts, read 868,944 times
Default Screening tests

Yes....and maybe?

Age 75...NP..50 years in nursing..still read medical journals, tho retired

I see a breast surgeon..used to be yearly...last time I saw him I asked if I still needed mammogram....my mom had pre menopause breast cance..have had yearly since age 35...
He said...well..probably don’t need mammograms anymore...we usually stop at age 75...but I know you hate to do breast self exams....so just make appointment to see me..or my NP...and we will do exam!
Last year I skipped as it was a bad orthopedic year for me..

Our gastrointestinal guy..did my third colonoscopy a few years ago...he said didn’t need another one unless I had symptoms...never had a polyp

Cardiac guy....no more thallium tests..

Total hysterectomy age 50.....have seen gynecologist since post op

Now..dear hubby..almost 80..

Had heart attack age 61..stents, which occluded as many do, had bypass surgery age 63..
He sees his cardiologist yearly...

Had two negative colonoscopy, then 8 years after one...age 70..he had colon cancer..had surgery..hadn’t spread..he has colonoscopy every 5 years now..saved his life..

We use urgent care..see NP for minor things like sore throat, uti, or lung things to make sure we don’t have pneumonia...we get flu shots at drug store

Old 09-03-2019, 05:49 PM

14,799 posts, read 11,943,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
When I went to Urgent Care I was required to electronically sign four unread documents so I asked for paper copies to read while I waited. The girl slammed the copier around and protested that it is an electronic office so people no longer get paper copies. Yikes, they can quickly change any part of any document without the patient knowing it! When I did get to read the docs, I discovered that I had unknowingly given consent to data mine my info to non-government, unregulated companies who make money off my information. It doesn't seem fair that they have all the advantage and keep us in the dark about risks and who they really sell our information to for their profit.
The same information appears on both electronic and paper forms of consent documents. You can read the electronic form on the tablet before you sign it.

And medical providers are bound by HIPPA laws, which allows them to provide your medical information to entities who will participate in your medical care, or those who will pay for it, such as insurance companies. They do not "sell"it to anyone. This is also explained on HIPPA consent forms included with other consent forms you get before a medical encounter.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 PM

6,403 posts, read 7,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I think I saw a rep from you about not using a D.O. We have many excellent D.O's in my area and I use both Integrative Md and DO. A DO found the answer to 10 yrs of depression back in the 90's. He knew his work and years of medicine from his time. He was still working in his 90's, PT but still available to his longtime patients. I avoid allopathic MD's. They lost me a long time ago.
I used a DO a few times when I lived in Phx. Az. - fortunately he was stopped from practicing. I quit before that when he said I needed to have my appendix removed instead of treating a UTI. Today, hospitals are hiring them instead of qualified medical doctors for things like heart issues. I'm sure they are fine for removing splinters but not for my heart! Recently, the so called NP missed several important issues so I'm not sure that is a good idea either but she was great at treating pink eye. If a qualified doctor says I need to be screened for a real problem, then I will consider it but otherwise, buyer beware many of them just want your insurance money.

If you Google doctor's compensation you will find that some hospitals pay doctors for referrals which can amount to thousands in additional income each month for making their referral numbers. Sad, as it does not put the patient's best interest first.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yes. I started researching all of these tests (mammogram, colonoscopy), and found that there are good reasons not to have them (won't go into details, if interested, do your own research - I don't subscribe to "groupthink" and mass marketing around these tests).

I regret that I ever had the above tests, ever (had around 3 or 4 mammograms and the same with colonoscopy - but I didn't know then what I learned, so I can't blame myself too much for my ignorance on the subject). I trusted people who were also ignorant.

Live and learn.
DH had negative colonoscopy..8 years later he had another..yep..had colon cancer that time...doing well 10 years later..no spread, does fine without a foot of his sigmoid colon

Old 09-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I'm in my mid-40's and just decided to quit going to the gyno. I've been married forever, don't need birth control, and I am certainly past my childbearing years. I'm not declared "at risk" for any female health issues either.

I don't get the mammo every year either although my insurance pays for it. I've had a few already which were totally normal. I'll go every couple years. Again, I don't advise this for everyone, but I am not at risk and I'm in excellent health. However, I wold certainly get one if something was off.

I do see my primary care doc every year for a physical and any boosters I may need.
I had complete hysterectomy age 50....

My biggest fear was ovarian cancer which can be a killer....a bi manual exam during a gynecologist exam is the only way to palpate ovaries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.