Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,882,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Hill View Post
Good for you & your daughter for stopping. If I had known then what I know now I never would have started so young, maybe wouldn't have started at all. I agree with trying to stay healthy through good nutrition, as well as getting enough exercise, not smoking, not drinking excessively, & staying at a healthy weight.
20 years of radiation via mammogram can cause breast cancer.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:57 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,608,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
20 years of radiation via mammogram can cause breast cancer.
If 20 years of radiation from a mammogram can cause breast cancer than frequent flyers and pilots would be dropping dead right and left from cancer. The average flight exposes a person to just as much radiation as a mammogram.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:11 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,658,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There was a Canadian Breast Cancer study that looked at 50,000 women, all whom died of breast cancer. Half had mammograms where cancer was discovered + follow-up treatment. The other half were labeled as cause of death breast cancer but had no mammogram to discover it and received no treatment.

There was no difference in age at death. No difference in survival rates.

Makes one think ....

PS to naysayers: Yes the study exists. I've posted links to it multiple times. Go find it yourself if interested in learning something. Don't throw accusations that it doesn't exist if you haven't bothered to look for it.
Thank you so much. I can't tell how you inspired I am at the rare sound of independent thought.

It just makes my day....and offsets the effect on my blood pressure of reading the much more typical postings.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:17 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,882,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
If 20 years of radiation from a mammogram can cause breast cancer than frequent flyers and pilots would be dropping dead right and left from cancer. The average flight exposes a person to just as much radiation as a mammogram.
Have there been any studies done on rates of flying and rates of cancer?

If you don't look for it, you won't find it.

Do you know why the drug darvocet was pulled from the market? Investigate.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:31 AM

689 posts, read 968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Not to mention that there is no way to make a direct comparison between those two scientifically. Even if we suppose that the total amounts of radiation are equal (and there are way too many variables to establish that as broad-brush fact), the effect of receiving it all in a millisecond zap to a very localized area would logically be far different than for the same total exposure over 2 hours to the entire body. I'd put my money on the flight being much safer without hesitation.

Those kinds of comparisons are marketing tools dreamed up to support industry agenda and are useless.
Honestly, with all of the travel I've done through the years both for work and leisure (yearly trips to Europe), I really should be dead by now...

I completely agree with your hypothesis and will continue to fly and keep my head away from those scary tooth rays

Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,658,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Honestly, with all of the travel I've done through the years both for work and leisure (yearly trips to Europe), I really should be dead by now...

I completely agree with your hypothesis and will continue to fly and keep my head away from those scary tooth rays
A sound decision, I'd say.

I think tooth x-rays are (by far) the most frequently done x-ray and for the least of pressing needs and potential benefit to patients.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:55 PM

689 posts, read 968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
A sound decision, I'd say.

I think tooth x-rays are (by far) the most frequently done x-ray and for the least of pressing needs and potential benefit to patients.
Not to be overly cynical, but it's pretty obvious that x-rays are an essential part of the dental business model. If you can't detect anything through frequent x-rays/per patient, you can't earn the $$$ fixing anything. Of course, there are those emergencies like a cracked filling, damaged tooth, or urgent pain, but for most of us who keep up with good oral hygiene and proper eating habits, this is rare.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,623,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Not to be overly cynical, but it's pretty obvious that x-rays are an essential part of the dental business model. If you can't detect anything through frequent x-rays/per patient, you can't earn the $$$ fixing anything. Of course, there are those emergencies like a cracked filling, damaged tooth, or urgent pain, but for most of us who keep up with good oral hygiene and proper eating habits, this is rare.
I stopped dental xrays probably 10 yrs ago.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:14 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,154,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

I flew 2-4 times a week for 40 years. Oh well!

Everything in life (EVERYTHING) has consequences. Whether that be screening, surgery or medications. We make our choices based on best available information and then LIVE WITH IT!

Old 09-06-2019, 03:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,623,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I flew 2-4 times a week for 40 years. Oh well!

Everything in life (EVERYTHING) has consequences. Whether that be screening, surgery or medications. We make our choices based on best available information and then LIVE WITH IT!
Wow, 2-4 times a week for 40 yrs? Were you a pilot. I know you said you were a pharmacist. That's a lot of flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.