Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 02:49 PM

689 posts, read 968,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I am almost 45 and have had two mammograms and one ultrasound. The ultrasound was for dense breast tissue. All scans were normal.

Side note: My mother (almost 70) has never had a mammogram even though she has great health care coverage. She just doesn't want one.

Interesting that some can refuse dental xrays. My old dentist passed away over three years ago at age 71. He was my dentist since I was a kid, and he did not force xrays like they do now. He only required bite-wings every few years if you didn't have issues he was watching. I never even had a cavity so I was good to go. Well, when he passed it seemed every single dentist anywhere I called required full xrays to become a patient and bite-wings every year. I put off going to the dentist for almost three years because I did not want to get all those xrays. I finally caved and went because I was feeling gross by not getting my teeth cleaned. I am going to try to get out of the bite-wings when I go again; these dentists in my area want bite-wings every year.

I miss my old school dentist. He was the best and I never had any complaints about him or his care.
As far back as I can remember, I've been pressured to get the bitewings and full x-rays. My former dentist was a bit more lenient since I'd been a patient for over 20 years. He'd let me go as long as 2.5 years in between.

We moved 3 years ago and I started with a new dental practice and, of course, they insisted on full x-rays from the jump. After that, I put them off for 1.5 years, then the pressure began. I succumbed to bitewings, then, eventually had to do the full deal again. I'll try, again, to put it off for a couple of years now, but they won't put up with more than that. I don't think any dentist will these days.

I go for cleanings every six months, so they see me regularly - plenty of ops to proselytize

Old 09-07-2019, 03:48 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,623,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I am almost 45 and have had two mammograms and one ultrasound. The ultrasound was for dense breast tissue. All scans were normal.

Side note: My mother (almost 70) has never had a mammogram even though she has great health care coverage. She just doesn't want one.

Interesting that some can refuse dental xrays. My old dentist passed away over three years ago at age 71. He was my dentist since I was a kid, and he did not force xrays like they do now. He only required bite-wings every few years if you didn't have issues he was watching. I never even had a cavity so I was good to go. Well, when he passed it seemed every single dentist anywhere I called required full xrays to become a patient and bite-wings every year. I put off going to the dentist for almost three years because I did not want to get all those xrays. I finally caved and went because I was feeling gross by not getting my teeth cleaned. I am going to try to get out of the bite-wings when I go again; these dentists in my area want bite-wings every year.

I miss my old school dentist. He was the best and I never had any complaints about him or his care.
My neighbor who is 93 now just quit them maybe 10 yrs ago after I met her and we talked....she only wished she met me earlier in her life. And the doctors didn't even STOP doing them on her late age...grrrr

I've posted in the Dental area here about how I've changed so much of my Dental care and it's been some yrs since I've even gone to a dentist...

Old 09-07-2019, 04:07 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,656,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Well, if you are MALE that would be absurd.
Not as absurd as you might think:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20374740

Old 09-07-2019, 04:08 PM

10,194 posts, read 6,259,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
What difference does it make to you? Don't read her posts if you don't like them - no one's twisting your arm.
I think this poster is a Medical Professional so has a horse in this race,

Old 09-07-2019, 04:16 PM

10,194 posts, read 6,259,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Oh, better tell my 70 year old husband about this! After two heart attack and Parkinson's, he is going to die from breast cancer if he isn't screened!

Kinda like my SIL having her cancerous ovaries removed 6 months before she died of Dementia. Well, she didn't die from Cancer!!!!!

Old 09-07-2019, 05:20 PM

6,416 posts, read 7,626,244 times
Quote:
Oh, better tell my 70 year old husband about this! After two heart attack and Parkinson's, he is going to die from breast cancer if he isn't screened!

Kinda like my SIL having her cancerous ovaries removed 6 months before she died of Dementia. Well, she didn't die from Cancer!!!!!
Sorry about your SIL, but as for them -- follow the money and data mining:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...h-records.html
"Patients simply may not realize that their genetic, reproductive health, substance abuse disorder, mental health information can be used in ways that could ultimately limit their access to health insurance, life insurance or even be disclosed to their employers," Jesse Ehrenfeld, MD, an anesthesiologist and chair of the AMA's board, told the Times.

"Patient privacy can't be retrieved once it's lost," Dr. Ehrenfeld added.

Brett Meeks, vice president of policy and legal for the nonprofit Center for Medical Interoperability, proposed that a secure data-sharing platform should be put in place before records can be shared with third-party apps.

"Facebook, Google and others are currently under scrutiny for being poor stewards of consumer data," Mr. Meeks told the Times. "Why would you carte blanche hand them your health data on top of it so they could do whatever they want with it?"

In response to these concerns, however, Don Rucker, MD, an emergency physician and the HHS' national coordinator for health information technology, said the new rules will not only empower patients, but also give tech companies the tools to develop improved health products.

Dr. Rucker also suggested physicians and hospitals' main grievance with the rules are not their potential data abuses, but rather the loss of any financial benefit that may come from having a monopoly on medical data. "All we're saying is that patients have a right to choose as opposed to the right being denied them by the forces of paternalism," he told the Times.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:08 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,656,570 times
Quote:

Oh, for Pete's sake! Did you even look at or read my link? As the link said, it's very RARE for a man to have breast cancer, but it is possible. I was responding to your comment that it would be absurd if you are male. It does happen.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:19 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,882,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake! Did you even look at or read my link? As the link said, it's very RARE for a man to have breast cancer, but it is possible. I was responding to your comment that it would be absurd if you are male. It does happen.
About 400 men die each year from breast cancer.

About 430 people die each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

About 3,000 people die each year from food poisoning,

Almost 37,000 people died in 2018 from a car accident.

There is really no reason for a man to get a mammogram. The risk is miniscule.

But, continue the fear mongering.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM

14,872 posts, read 12,016,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
About 400 men die each year from breast cancer.

About 430 people die each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

About 3,000 people die each year from food poisoning,

Almost 37,000 people died in 2018 from a car accident.

There is really no reason for a man to get a mammogram. The risk is miniscule.

But, continue the fear mongering.
Although if one considers the perspective of those men who did die of breast cancer, at least somd of whom might have been saved had they had screening mammograms...........

Old 09-08-2019, 01:02 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,882,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Although if one considers the perspective of those men who did die of breast cancer, at least somd of whom might have been saved had they had screening mammograms...........
Do you advise people not to drive because they could be killed in a car accident?

Suggesting that every man get a mammography every year for 40 years ... is an abuse of the medical system.

Although it's an extremely profitable proposition. I'm sure it will be added to screening guidelines soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.