Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 05:46 PM

14,871 posts, read 12,012,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Do you advise people not to drive because they could be killed in a car accident?

Suggesting that every man get a mammography every year for 40 years ... is an abuse of the medical system.

Although it's an extremely profitable proposition. I'm sure it will be added to screening guidelines soon.
I don't think I suggested either one. Sorry, but you don't get to read what isn't there based on your own anti-medical establishment bias in comments made by people you know nothing about.

My comments addressed the cavalier dismissal of a medical condition that can be fatal to a gender minority because the statistics don't suit you.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:59 PM

14,226 posts, read 11,522,208 times
I don't see how most non-obese men could get a mammogram () but a friend's husband was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to go through treatment. He's fine now. Not surprisingly, it's a little easier for a man to notice a lump. There often isn't anywhere for it to hide.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:04 PM

36,994 posts, read 41,017,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No one is advocating that all men get mammograms.
Yes, that was my point exactly. 100% you nailed it. [sarcasm]

SuzyQ, I know you would love to have male mammograms as annual screening for all men. Why don't you start petitioning the USPSTF? Since there is such a glaring need for it?

Do you even comprehend my posts before spouting off? No. You don't.
I am not the one with the comprehension problem. You quoted me saying that not all men should have them.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:14 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,315,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
I haven't had a pap in 15 years and don't intend to--it's invasive and unnecessary, but I'm still on BCP. My dr wanted me to have a mammogram, and I refused that as well. I will never have one. She mentioned a colonoscopy at my last visit, and when I looked at her, she knew it wasn't going to happen and dropped it. IMO those tests represent more ways for the healthcare system to waste my time and money (I have private insurance through my employer, but it still costs tons in co-payments and overages, even though I have a good state-based system). If I get cancer, then so be it; I will refuse that treatment as well.
One of the reasons breast cancer has such a high survival rate now, is because of the availability of screening mammograms. If breast cancer is caught early, there is a very high chance of surviving it; in fact, you could detect it early enough with a screening mammogram, that chemo or a mastectomy might not even be necessary. However, if you don't catch it until it's in Stage four those high survival rates might not apply to you. I'd hate to be told I am dying, but if only I'd caught the lump 18 months earlier, I would be surviving. But if you don't want the mammogram, don't get it. See if you can get a sonogram instead if you are worried about the procedure or radiation. Or thermography. Anything is better than nothing.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 09-08-2019 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
I read that the pressure on the breast is around 20 pounds but could be more, depending on the size of the breast Also, the tech doesn't know exactly how much pressure he/she is using because the machine only displays the compression force. This would explain why sometimes it feels better than other times, I guess. Either way - I'm out.

Bruises are totally not acceptable btw - I hope you reported that...
I wasn't happy but they just told me it was sometimes a side effect and didn't seem to care that much.

So I went to a different mammogram center and haven't had that problem since. The practitioners at this new place will slowly press the plates together so that they aren't crushing you all at once. They showed me how they do it, and it was just fine. Anyone who clamps down really fast on your breasts, to rush through the procedure, is a reason to never go back to that place again.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:38 PM

19,585 posts, read 9,117,631 times
Interesting article on how the body might be able to heal itself in many (not all) cases.

https://www.nextavenue.org/mind-over...y-heal-itself/

And another note to this discussion:

Much of good health is due to genetics, of course, but many people lived to their 80's and beyond before there were any screenings at all. People only went to the doctor when they knew or suspected that something was actually wrong.

I am 66 and take my blood pressure readings occasionally and will go to the doctor if something is wrong, but my last real check-up was years ago. (I take no medication, but I eat healthy foods, although no health food type foods or supplements.) Three out of four of my grandparents had the same approach, and they lived to 92, and my mom is 87 and still going strong. However, none of us smoked or had any seriously unhealthy habits, which I think is very important.

OTOH, it seems to me that virtually all the people I've known who were in their 60's and 70's and who believe(d) in regular check-ups and tests ended up on some kind of lifelong medication before they turned 60 and were not nearly as healthy and active as I am (knock wood).

Go figure.

P.S. This is not to say, however, that I don't believe in conventional medicine because I most definitely DO. If someone has some kind of serious condition, then of course I think they should be treated for it -- unless they are 90-something and have Alzheimer's, that is (for example).

Last edited by katharsis; 09-08-2019 at 06:59 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 06:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Ok I have a question for you experts and since I'm probably the oldest member talking now, how many of you had mothers/women in your life who NEVER had mamms and lived long lives and just died from something...many people don't know what a lot of folks died from.

I'm talking about times before mammography tests were out there. B.C. was never talked about in my life and again my mother and aunts etc would be in the 100's today.

Did many women die with cancer cells that were "just there" and caused no issues.

Maybe just maybe all this squeezing and radiation does cause the cells to spread....

Over and over all the tests that are given....

Don't we all have cancer cells in our bodies? I'm no cancer expert but I've heard this for some time. There is a lot of info on this. https://www.sharecare.com/health/gen...y-cancer-cells

I believe the above poster was posting similar to what I just posted.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-08-2019 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 07:14 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,246,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
I haven't had a pap in 15 years and don't intend to--it's invasive and unnecessary, but I'm still on BCP. My dr wanted me to have a mammogram, and I refused that as well. I will never have one. She mentioned a colonoscopy at my last visit, and when I looked at her, she knew it wasn't going to happen and dropped it. IMO those tests represent more ways for the healthcare system to waste my time and money (I have private insurance through my employer, but it still costs tons in co-payments and overages, even though I have a good state-based system). If I get cancer, then so be it; I will refuse that treatment as well.
How utterly nihilistic of you - why do you go to the doctor at all? If you don't plan to get treated for something like cancer, what things do you bother with?

Old 09-08-2019, 07:17 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,657,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Ok I have a question for you experts and since I'm probably the oldest member talking now, how many of you had mothers/women in your life who NEVER had mamms and lived long lives and just died from something...many people don't know what a lot of folks died.

I'm talking about times before mammography tests were out there. B.C. was never talked about in my life and again my mother and aunts etc would be in the 100's today.

Did many women die with cancer cells that were "just there" and caused no issues.

Maybe just maybe all this squeezing and radiation does cause the cells to spread....

Over and over all the tests that are given....

Don't we all have cancer cells in our bodies? I'm no cancer expert but I've heard this for some time.

I believe the above poster was posting similar to what I just posted.
Good questions and food for thought, Jam. None of the women that I know of in my family lived extraordinarily long lives, but none died from breast cancer that I know of, either.

My dear mother-in-law did, but that was very likely brought on by stress and alcoholism induced by living with her awful husband. Craziest and most impossible man I've ever known, although my own father was close. She was such a sweet person and very sadly died at 62. He lived another 20 years.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Good questions and food for thought, Jam. None of the women that I know of in my family lived extraordinarily long lives, but none died from breast cancer that I know of, either. .
What's happened in my own family is purely anecdotal. I have to look at the bigger picture and overall statistics.

For some women, breast cancer runs in their family. And some women have died from it in spite of not having a family history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.