Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 09:12 AM

14,871 posts, read 12,012,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Mikala, bless your heart, but you just politely did what she said is done.
Mikala expressed her own opinion regarding flu shots in her post, I didn't see any name calling or bashing as was the accusation in the post she responded to.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:25 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,657,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you consider saying "unwise" the same as "uniformed idiot", then I guess so. Many people take things way out of context.
I know they're not the same - just saw a bit of humor in the parallel and I meant it good-naturedly.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,315,360 times
I used to be one of those people who didn't get a flu shot.

After reading about the more serious consequences of getting the flu, including sepsis, I'm getting the shot, period. Even though I know it's not 100% effective. I want to do everything I can to hedge my bets against getting the flu.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:41 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,879,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Mikala expressed her own opinion regarding flu shots in her post, I didn't see any name calling or bashing as was the accusation in the post she responded to.
She said people who do not get the flu shot are "unwise."

unwise = stupid

So yes, it's an insult. Why not say: "I do this. Everyone else can do as they choose." No insult there.

Big difference in the 2 responses. Huge.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:54 AM

14,871 posts, read 12,012,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
She said people who do not get the flu shot are "unwise."

unwise = stupid

So yes, it's an insult. Why not say: "I do this. Everyone else can do as they choose." No insult there.

Big difference in the 2 responses. Huge.

And yet another example of reading what you like into another's comments, whether or not it was intended by the author.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:13 PM

14,226 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And yet another example of reading what you like into another's comments, whether or not it was intended by the author.
Then people should be more careful about what they say, so they're not saying things they don't intend. A reader can't be blamed for taking words at their face value. It is perfectly natural to interpret "I think doing that would be unwise" as a polite way of saying "I think doing that is foolish." That's what "unwise" means, "foolish." And "foolish" is a synonym of "stupid."

This is undeniable. Google "definition of unwise."

Good-natured or not, CrownVic was quite right in calling out Mikala.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:16 PM

48,405 posts, read 34,546,688 times
Wow.

So now saying I "think an action is unwise" is tantamount to a personal attack?

Learn something new every day. Not sure how you can disagree with someone without it being taken to an extreme. But we digress.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-09-2019, 12:26 PM

14,226 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Wow.

So now saying I "think an action is unwise" is tantamount to a personal attack?

Learn something new every day. Not sure how you can disagree with someone without it being taken to an extreme. But we digress.
No, no. You're losing sight of the context. It's all about the context:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Really? Show me ONE pro Pharma go get a flu vaccine post that says people are free to choose and aren't uninformed idiots if they choose NOT to get a flu shot.
Quote:
Almost all of them.

I could care less if anyone forgoes the flu shot. I think it is unwise, but you do you.
Venice said straight out, "Show me a post that says people who do X aren't foolish."

Mikala replied, "Okay. People who do X are foolish."

CrownVic pointed out the irony, that's all. It's very funny, actually, though the humor was unintentional. Time to let it go; I doubt Venice feels personally aggrieved or attacked.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:32 PM

48,405 posts, read 34,546,688 times
I find it unwise. That's just me. Others do not find it unwise, and that is them.

I didn't say it WAS unwise.

I didn't get a flu shot this year (just never got around to it), which I find unwise. I'm not calling myself stupid.

And yes, I agree, it is time to let it go. I will not post again on this part of the topic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-09-2019, 12:40 PM

689 posts, read 968,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, true. But you're entitled to your opinion.

I don't share her enthusiasm for "supps", as that is just a more affordable walk down the same road traveled by big pharma.

But whereas most people, particularly women, are knee-jerk followers of medical cartel edict, Jam's perspective is on a higher plane. She asks questions that need to be asked, as sometimes the whole truth is not that which immediately meets the eye. And some will just never get that.
This debate would best be moved over to the alt-med forum, but I have to disagree with you.

Those of us who use supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathics, etc., do NOT do so because they are the same walk-down. On the contrary! We use them because we believe they are kinder and less toxic to the body both for preventative measures and for addressing various conditions/symptoms.

When used properly and with the right knowledge, they cause little to no side-effects, address issues long before they require a more heavy-hitter pharma drug and, often, come from natural, plant sources which we feel are, overall, more aligned with our natural bodies.

There are also many subtle imbalances in the body that traditional medicine simply doesn't have an answer for since they don't fit with any disease model. This is also where natural support products can do a world of good - again with the right knowledge.

Lastly, they're hardly less expensive! We have to pay 100 percent out of pocket and this adds up quickly.

And, for the record, I am not anti-pharma. There's a time and place when one has to turn in this direction, but those of us who believe and practice holistic health measures hope to maintain a healthy balance that will rarely require one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.