Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 02:19 PM

2,142 posts, read 3,037,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I think you are seeing what you want to see. I do not get that from her posts at all.

Jam talks about her experiences and that of her friends and ends practically every post with some statement about how people are free to do what they want.

Do you disagree that people are free to make their own decisions? Want mandatory healthcare dictates from the gov? Mandatory screening? Forced drug participation?

I have never once, not ever, seen any pro Pharma poster say, people are free to do what they want. They ALL claim screening/testing/drugs are the SOLE answer to every condition/disease. And that anyone who chooses otherwise is an uninformed idiot.
Yes she does. She talks about her experiences and broadly extrapolates to what people should be doing. She brings up supplements in threads whose topic isn’t even in shouting distance. Search her posts.

And I absolutely think each person should do what they think is best for their own health. I couldn’t care less how you approach your own health. But I will criticize misinformation.

And there are positions in between anti-western medicine and pro-pharma, as you call it. I don’t take anyone’s opinion uncritically—neither doctor, drug company, insurance company, random internet article, “research” funded by an interest group, or c-d poster.

And ending a post with “that’s just my opinion” doesn’t negate everything that came before.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:36 PM

10,181 posts, read 6,230,691 times
There was a recent thread on Politics calling for insurance to deny coverage for those who refuse vaccinations, and need to be hospitalized for "vaccine preventable" illnesses. Why stop there? If a person doesn't get testing for Preventative Screening Tests, should they also have heath insurance rates go up and claims be denied as well? Raise your insurance rates if you are not up to date on your preventive screening rates as well?

My former employer instituted a "Wellness" Program with all this Preventive Medicine. Used STICKS not carrots for non-compliance. Don't get FREE your physicals, FREE Mammograms,vacciations, etc, you are in non-compliance, and we will raise your Premiums. Listen, SUZY Q. I PAID those extra $$$$ premiums, because I would not comply with what they wanted me to do. At $15/hour wages that was not chump change. I have my principles that I will not cross for any amount of money. So if I have breast or colon cancer, how will you, or ME, ever know? Did you ever consider that maybe I do not want to be treated for any of these conditions? Do I have that right to refuse treatment as an ADULT, especially as a Senior Adult?

Old 09-09-2019, 02:47 PM

688 posts, read 966,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
There was a recent thread on Politics calling for insurance to deny coverage for those who refuse vaccinations, and need to be hospitalized for "vaccine preventable" illnesses. Why stop there? If a person doesn't get testing for Preventative Screening Tests, should they also have heath insurance rates go up and claims be denied as well? Raise your insurance rates if you are not up to date on your preventive screening rates as well?

My former employer instituted a "Wellness" Program with all this Preventive Medicine. Used STICKS not carrots for non-compliance. Don't get FREE your physicals, FREE Mammograms,vacciations, etc, you are in non-compliance, and we will raise your Premiums. Listen, SUZY Q. I PAID those extra $$$$ premiums, because I would not comply with what they wanted me to do. At $15/hour wages that was not chump change. I have my principles that I will not cross for any amount of money. So if I have breast or colon cancer, how will you, or ME, ever know? Did you ever consider that maybe I do not want to be treated for any of these conditions? Do I have that right to refuse treatment as an ADULT, especially as a Senior Adult?
This is one of the things that scares me about the possibility of Universal Health Care. Of course, we all love the idea of lowering health care costs and making proper care accessible to everyone, equally. But I do NOT want anyone dictating to me what tests, vacs and other health measures I MUST have to continue my enrollment.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:55 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,633,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
This debate would best be moved over to the alt-med forum, but I have to disagree with you.

Those of us who use supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathics, etc., do NOT do so because they are the same walk-down. On the contrary! We use them because we believe they are kinder and less toxic to the body both for preventative measures and for addressing various conditions/symptoms.

When used properly and with the right knowledge, they cause little to no side-effects, address issues long before they require a more heavy-hitter pharma drug and, often, come from natural, plant sources which we feel are, overall, more aligned with our natural bodies.

There are also many subtle imbalances in the body that traditional medicine simply doesn't have an answer for since they don't fit with any disease model. This is also where natural support products can do a world of good - again with the right knowledge.

Lastly, they're hardly less expensive! We have to pay 100 percent out of pocket and this adds up quickly.

And, for the record, I am not anti-pharma. There's a time and place when one has to turn in this direction, but those of us who believe and practice holistic health measures hope to maintain a healthy balance that will rarely require one.
You may not do so because they are a walk down the same road, but they are.

My post was in essential support of Jam. And I have supported you in this thread as well. Now you're looking for a new argument? Find it somewhere else as I am done with this thread.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:02 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,850,828 times
Quote:
This is one of the things that scares me about the possibility of Universal Health Care. Of course, we all love the idea of lowering health care costs and making proper care accessible to everyone, equally. But I do NOT want anyone dictating to me what tests, vacs and other health measures I MUST have to continue my enrollment.
Same here. We should have free will. Insurance and pharma companies want to force us to do all this testing because if you test enough you WILL find something "wrong" for which medicines can be prescribed. Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not against all pharmaceuticals, I am on one now that is saving my life. But if I choose to refuse vaccinations (never get them and NEVER sick!) and opt out of paps and mammos, and colonoscopy, that should be my right. The "health care" system in this country is really pretty much broken; there are medicines that people need (like insulin) that is completely unaffordable for those without insurance. The medicine I am on is Eliquis, which costs almost $500 for one month supply without insurance. That is absolutely INSANE!!!!

Old 09-09-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You may not do so because they are a walk down the same road, but they are.

My post was in essential support of Jam. And I have supported you in this thread as well. Now you're looking for a new argument? Find it somewhere else as I am done with this thread.
Hey, don't get your panties in a twist - not looking for a fight, just refuting your statement. I know you've been supportive, can't we disagree without it becoming something monumental?

We alt folks get attacked on CD quite regularly so just wanted to set the record straight for others who might feel in the mood to pounce.

Don't leave on my account, we need some balanced voices on here...

Old 09-09-2019, 04:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,290,798 times
Quote:
Those of us who use supplements, herbal remedies, homeopathics, etc., do NOT do so because they are the same walk-down. On the contrary! We use them because we believe they are kinder and less toxic to the body both for preventative measures and for addressing various conditions/symptoms..
Herbs and essential oils can be EXTREMELY toxic and dangerous, even in very low doses.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:41 PM

14,201 posts, read 11,453,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The medicine I am on is Eliquis, which costs almost $500 for one month supply without insurance. That is absolutely INSANE!!!!
I hope no one is paying that much. If you don't have insurance, or have a high-deductible private plan, you can get a coupon for Eliquis for $10/month. When my husband had to take Eliquis for a period of time, the pharmacist directed us to the website to get the coupon. I had to call and verify our information and get a code, but from then on, his prescription was $10/mo., not a penny more.

(I think I stated in a previous thread that it was $5/mo, but that was my error. I double-checked and $10 is the correct amount.)

Old 09-09-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Herbs and essential oils can be EXTREMELY toxic and dangerous, even in very low doses.
Okay. Thanks for letting me know

Old 09-09-2019, 06:44 PM

10,181 posts, read 6,230,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Herbs? What herbs? Don't even attempt to tell those of us from Italian heritage not to use basil, oregano, and GARLIC in large quantities. These are our medicines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness