Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:42 PM

10,180 posts, read 6,223,702 times

Advertisements

I have only used home insurance ONCE in 50 years of owning three homes in two different states. Hurricane Gloria. Our gutters fell down. A tree hit our house but insurance didn't pay for that because it was a NYC planted tree on our curb. NYC paid for the tree to be taken away from our roof. The homeowners insurance refused to do it because the tree was City property. lol

Driver's insurance? Only accidents I have gotten into were with stationary objects like trees, my own mailbox, AND my husband's car parked in our driveway. I do not drive on highways or go more than 20 miles away with 30 mpr speed limits. Who is going to SUE ME or put in a claim against me? The tree or my own husband? ROFL According to auto insurance I have an EXCELLENT record for 40 years never submitting a claim! lol

Forget Health Insurance. Never put in a claim, and maybe the 2 times I went to a doctor it never met my deductible, except for childbirth 35 years ago. I've had Medicare A & B, no D, for 5 years and never submitted any claims including for physicals and free preventative testing. I get nothing from Medicare at all, not even their yearly Medicare and You booklet. Off their radar which is fine with me. Think I have or want Supplemental Medicare?????

What if you get into an accident or need Cancer treatment? I looked into getting a DNR form and bracelet. I have the right to refuse medical treatment. Husband asked his doctor. Tell her to come talk to me. Oh, H, no. Advanced Directive which no doctor has to approve of. I do not wish to be treated for any accident or condition. As an adult I do not have that RIGHT?

Get used to the fact that everyone doesn't think the way you do.

Last edited by Jo48; 09-11-2019 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 02:46 PM

14,185 posts, read 11,431,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I do not wish to be treated for any accident or condition. As an adult I do not have that RIGHT?
You certainly do. It's kind of hard to believe you would actually prefer to live the rest of your life with, say, an unset broken arm, but you do you.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:16 PM

26,634 posts, read 28,419,191 times
Okay, it's been fun (mostly) but this thread has run its course.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:52 PM

48,261 posts, read 34,376,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
So sorry about your sister, I didn't realize she lost her home during the Tubbs fire. But thank goodness she was properly insured. Many people here were underinsured at the time of the fires and deeply regretted that they had not updated their policies to reflect current home values and other possessions. They were not able to rebuild or recover and, sadly, had to move on. After things settled down, we immediately reviewed and updated our policy to make sure we had everything in place.

As far as insurance goes, we're huge proponents all around - homeowners, cars, health, dental, vision - you name it. It's not a perfect system, by any means, but the alternatives can be financially (and emotionally) devastating...

Thank you for your kind words. Construction will be finished first week of Oct. and it is absolutely beautiful.

They had just updated their insurance a month before it happened.

Then me, my husband and two behemoth dogs will move in with her until we get settled in NV. /lol

I'm from Santa Rosa, and it was devastating to so many people.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-11-2019, 06:27 PM

688 posts, read 965,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thank you for your kind words. Construction will be finished first week of Oct. and it is absolutely beautiful.

They had just updated their insurance a month before it happened.

Then me, my husband and two behemoth dogs will move in with her until we get settled in NV. /lol

I'm from Santa Rosa, and it was devastating to so many people.
Not sure you remember, but I live next door in Windsor so we were in the thick of the crisis as well. Fortunately, we dodged the worst of it but it came within 5 miles of us and many people we know were not so lucky.

I actually sent you a PM during the fires when we were self-evacuated up in Eureka. You mentioned in a post about a particular face mask and you replied with the right one which we used for several weeks and still have in our emergency kit.

Small world sometimes...maybe I'll see you around town, who knows?

Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Not sure you remember, but I live next door in Windsor so we were in the thick of the crisis as well. Fortunately, we dodged the worst of it but it came within 5 miles of us and many people we know were not so lucky.

I actually sent you a PM during the fires when we were self-evacuated up in Eureka. You mentioned in a post about a particular face mask and you replied with the right one which we used for several weeks and still have in our emergency kit.

Small world sometimes...maybe I'll see you around town, who knows?

I'm in Windsor about once a year. My (departed) Grandparents lived there, and that's where my sister rents a house now.

I remember our conversation now that you mention it!

It was like a war zone for awhile, my sister evacuated to her SILs, and then they almost had to evacuate from there. I can't imagine going through what you all did.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:40 PM

688 posts, read 965,632 times
Honestly, even after all this time most of us are still a bit traumatized. I can only imagine how your sister and her family feel. I'm sure you've been following the aftermath - PG&E has been creating some new (court-mandated) preventative measures.

Regardless, it's still an outstanding place to live as you know. I can only imagine how amazing it was to grow up here...

Old 09-11-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Honestly, even after all this time most of us are still a bit traumatized. I can only imagine how your sister and her family feel. I'm sure you've been following the aftermath - PG&E has been creating some new (court-mandated) preventative measures.

Regardless, it's still an outstanding place to live as you know. I can only imagine how amazing it was to grow up here...

She gets panic attacks when the high winds start, we went camping 1 year ago and they had fires at Yosemite (area) and we got all the smoke, she had a panic attack.... so did most of us, so we left.

I grew up in Rincon Valley.

I'll stop now cause WAYYYYY off topic, but feel free to DM me anytime.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 PM

14,799 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
This was at a SW Florida Public School District. They did not like how many of their employees weren't getting Preventive Screening Tests; specifically the district was not happy about how many female staff weren't getting their mammograms. They dropped their Florida Blue Coverage, and Self-Insured. Make their own rules, which included hiring their own "health coaches" who gave BMI and W/H measurements to ALL staff; not their private doctors. Each staff member was assigned their own Health Coach (RN's) who could OVERRULE their own personal doctor. If a staff member was not in compliance, they were charged more money in their premiums. Sticks, not carrots. Self-insured can do this.

I know a number of the Teachers dropped their coverage, and went with their spouses health insurance because this was so intrusive. I can tell you that my premiums went from $0/month to $400/month because I was in non-compliance for all their Wellness Testing. Yes, I could have dropped my school health insurance, but my husband's coverage for me alone would have been $700/month. Even worse considering I do not go doctors. Florida's Health Insurance isn't CHEAP.

BTW, not to get too OT, but this school district made national news a few years ago when they took this "Wellness" blank, blank, down to their students as well. Athletes were getting "fat" letters send home because they were weighing students for BMI and these athletes did not measure up to their standards. You live in SW Florida. I am sure you must have heard about this.

I feel very strongly about my right as adult to refuse medical treatment, including these preventative tests. I was willing to put my money where my mouth is for it on principle.
Wow, talk about intrusive! Overruling an employees personal physician????

I'd have been right there with the employees who canceled their health insurance with rhe school board in lieu of their spouses' insurance, though I know that's not always an option.

Now that you mention it, I think I do recall news media accounts of schools sending "fat notices " based on their BMIs compared to canned artificial BMIs for some students to their parents, and the general outrage that ensued.

I can't imagine such an tyrannical program would have won much favor among most of the employees, and I'd figure it would have been driven into oblivion.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 PM

5,371 posts, read 3,384,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That's up to the individual. If you want it no one is stopping you from buying it, that's for sure.

And you can spend as much as you want for protection from whatever fear that is being sold (car accident illness house fire death oven explosion cow farts). I'm sure your insurer can tell all the horrible things that can happen to you if you don't buy that super expensive plan that is offered.
Well sure, I know all that. I was just looking forward to your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.