Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:54 AM

680 posts, read 527,830 times

Advertisements

My wife had surgery and was inpatient for 8 days. The previous hospital we went to sent one bill that included everything. This most recent hospital visit is different. We are getting a hospital bill, anesthesiology bill, radiology bill, physician group bill, ER bill. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 09:04 AM

13,098 posts, read 20,801,082 times
Yes. Been this way for decades.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:37 AM

680 posts, read 527,830 times
They’re all part of the same health system and don’t communicate, that’s what I don’t like. For each billing question you have to call that physicians office, even though it was an inpatient visit. One of the doctors listed never stepped foot in the room.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:06 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
They’re all part of the same health system and don’t communicate, that’s what I don’t like. For each billing question you have to call that physicians office, even though it was an inpatient visit. One of the doctors listed never stepped foot in the room.
What is "normal" in the medical world? That's why I do my best to steer clear more and more the longer I live. And yes I know about that doctor never stepped in the room and got a billing from them. I have over some yrs thrown a stack of copay bills in the trash. I have Medicare and so 20% is my responsibility and that can add up depending on the surgery etc.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,092,566 times
Quote:
My wife had surgery and was inpatient for 8 days. The previous hospital we went to sent one bill that included everything. This most recent hospital visit is different. We are getting a hospital bill, anesthesiology bill, radiology bill, physician group bill, ER bill. Is this normal?
Doesnt your insurance deal with all these bills?

Old 09-01-2019, 11:54 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Jim, so many of us don't reside in a country with social medicine.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:44 PM

13,098 posts, read 20,801,082 times
Quote:
The 'same health system" is meaningless as each of them cab be separate entities. Example, you go to Big Conglomerate Heath System Main Street Hospital. You are also seen by Big Conglomerate Heath System Radiology Group East. You also have specialized consulting by Big Conglomerate Heath Care System HeyWhatDatDotOnXray Associates. Although they are all part oft he same parent health system, they are essentially all different practices. Each practice or group can bill on their own. I have even seen two practices within a group where one was in-network and the other was out of network.

It's not uncommon for medical professionals to combine offices into a group practices while still maintaining their individual identity. The office may have a single name under which all those medical professionals practice, but they are all their own entity with their own ID just using a single named office. This is when you look in your insurance provider directory and you can't find We-B-Doctors practice listed but you do find 8 different professionals all with their own ID number listed at that same address. The flip side is when you go to Cramed Em In HMO Clinic and all bills come under that HMO name regardless who you saw as they are a single medical entity and the medical professionals are just paid employees of the company.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:33 PM

15,243 posts, read 12,859,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You also have specialized consulting by Big Conglomerate Health Care System HeyWhatDatDotOnXray Associates.

Pretty sure this is the practice that read my recent chest films.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:42 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,537,551 times
Quote:

Make that Dr. or the hospital show evidence of his participation in her care. He may have been the assistant surgeon, or the Dr. on call for her regular Dr. and taken a night or weekend call from the nurses. Bit check it out. One Dr. tried to pull a fast on on my Dad and withdrew when challenged on it.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,777,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Insurance will take off their portion and the remainder of the balance is then sent out. All the different departments and physicians bill separately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness