Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 12:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Contrary to popular belief, hearing aids do not always help. Severe to profound hearing loss, (which the OP seems to have) is “unaidable.” Also, just because someone wears a hearing aid does not mean that their aided hearing is anywhere near normal.
Read thru the postings again, folks, OP is reporting some positive comments. Profound hearing loss is NOT what I'm getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 09:29 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,569,333 times
People need to state their age and such things......

Hearing loss in people 12-25 can be onset of AN (tumors on the hearing nerves) which can just happen or be part of a condition like NF2.

If hearing slowly goes an MRI is in order.

Family member here with AN's didn't even discover it herself - mom said she was always asking her to repeat herself from one side.

May not be the answer to the OP, but hearing loss should always be a concern.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:22 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,380,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Read thru the postings again, folks, OP is reporting some positive comments. Profound hearing loss is NOT what I'm getting.
Actually, that is exactly what I am getting. His last comment said he is getting more sensitivity to sound, but he still doesn’t have clarity. If he really doesn’t have clarity he probably does have severe to profound hearing loss. Severe to profound hearing loss doesn’t mean you don’t hear things, it means you don’t have any clarity.

If you can’t understand someone speaking loudly and clearly directly to you in a quiet room — if you cannot understand them at all or can only understand a few words, then you are probably unaidable and legally deaf in that ear.

I am not saying that he has no hope of recovery or that he won’t find a treatment that works for him, but as it stands now this is what it seems like to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness