Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 3,056 times

Advertisements

]Very scared
Just found out by my ent today that I suffered SSHL. In my left ear. I was on my last day of vacation ready to go home and woke up to a clogged ear that got me worried so I went to an urgent care asap. I'm taking prednisone with a tapered schedule for two weeks and had one injection to the ear Thursday. I hear clicking poping and some rapid low tones in my effected ear. Looking for advice from any who can make sense of what maybe going on. Please.

Last edited by Ed78; 09-01-2019 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 03:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed78 View Post
Very scared
Just found out by my ent today that I suffered SSHL. In my left ear. I was on my last day of vacation ready to go home and woke up to a clogged ear that got me worried so I went to an urgent care asap. I'm taking prednisone with a tapered schedule for two weeks and had one injection to the ear Thursday. I hear clicking poping and some rapid low tones in my effected ear. Looking for advice from any who can make sense of what maybe going on. Please.
A family member went thru Sudden Hearing Loss at about age 40 or so and was married and had 2 little children. The family all came to the conclusion it was due to a lot of pharma drug interactions including Vicodin. She ended up with a Cochlear Implant in left ear only as the doctors wanted to leave the right one alone in case she got some hearing back.

15 yrs later she avoids drugs with a passion and lives with this damage.

She went thru House Clinic in L.A. and it's said probably 50% of hearing loss issues are due to Vicodin.

Have you taken a lot of drugs?

Old 09-01-2019, 05:04 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Did you have any indication that something was going-on with that ear before the sudden hearing-loss?

Is you ear swollen, in need of cleaning, is the ear-canal closed/partially closed????

I had a bad ear-infection and closing of the canal.........my hearing was WAY down.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 PM

1,264 posts, read 666,761 times
Quote:
]Very scared
I have been getting treatment for this same issue for five weeks with little progress. Although after a tube insertion and injection my symptoms/pain and constant tinnitus have eased up. From what I understand there is a six week window for treatment to try to get hearing loss returned. Best odds are from immediate treatment from the initial occurrence. I go back to ENT in 10 days for further testing but after that we are going to see a neurologist for their advice.
If I can help, ask or PM me.
Good luck to you!

Old 09-02-2019, 05:05 AM

Hi Tickyul, thanks for responding . My hearing lost came without any warning signs in my left ear.. I just went to sleep woke up and felt fullness in my left ear , thought it was allergies so I took an Advil to see if that would clear things up but things got worst. , became little dizzy. Hoping and praying things get better with the treatments. At this moment I hear sound pitches, poping , and muffled sounds in my ear , where as before I heard nothing in my ear. Hope that's a good sign. Thanks Tickyul.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:22 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Hi Tickyul, thanks for responding . My hearing lost came without any warning signs in my left ear.. I just went to sleep woke up and felt fullness in my left ear , thought it was allergies so I took an Advil to see if that would clear things up but things got worst. , became little dizzy. Hoping and praying things get better with the treatments. At this moment I hear sound pitches, poping , and muffled sounds in my ear , where as before I heard nothing in my ear. Hope that's a good sign. Thanks Tickyul.
So you don't have a history of taking a lot of drugs, I asked you that one. j

Old 09-02-2019, 11:59 AM

No drugs . just fish pill and muiltivitamin in the morning. It may have been something I picked up in a hot tub near a pool, where several people were using.Dont no for sure but that's the last place I went before going to sleep. Thanks

Old 09-02-2019, 02:03 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
No drugs . just fish pill and muiltivitamin in the morning. It may have been something I picked up in a hot tub near a pool, where several people were using.Dont no for sure but that's the last place I went before going to sleep. Thanks
Did anyone suggest trying an OTC decongestant? Why would you take Advil for an allergy? It is an anti-inflammatory but it wouldn't counteract an allergic reaction. Wouldn't an antihistamine be a better choice? Hope you find an answer OP!

Old 09-02-2019, 02:43 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:

Just to let your know, when my ears were infected and partially closed..........it took a LONG time for
the swelling and infection to go away, like 6 weeks. During that whole time, my ears felt full and my hearing was much diminished.

Just as a very rough gauge, you should be able to easily put the first joint of your pinky fully into
your ear-canals...........if not, they are probably quite swollen.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:45 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Just to let your know, when my ears were infected and partially closed..........it took a LONG time for
the swelling and infection to go away, like 6 weeks. During that whole time, my ears felt full and my hearing was much diminished.

Just as a very rough gauge, you should be able to easily put the first joint of your pinky fully into
your ear-canals.
..........if not, they are probably quite swollen.
I certainly cannot do that, never have been able to. And my ear canals are certainly not swollen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness