Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 01:35 AM

23,015 posts, read 18,343,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good question, back in those days I didn't question doctors, so the doc made extra money on me, now that you mention it.
It's not a matter of not questioning a doctor. If you understood basic anatomy/physiology you would have known tubal ligation wasn't necessary after a hysterectomy. You know, the sort of biology you'd get in public school? Being able to support and carry a fetus after a total hysterectomy falls into the realm of miracles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 02:15 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,910,204 times
If someone who has normal fallopian tubes (no curly queues) does not want to have children, and has successfully avoided having children until the age of 35, then I think no intervention is the best option. It's a bit weird to panic about pregnancy for the first time 20 years after the start of fertility.

There are many ways to avoid pregnancy. Tubal ligation means interference with the normal monthly hormonal cycle. The cycle is broken.

If the goal is to not interrupt libido, then carry on without medical intervention. As you approach menopause you'll be dropping multiple eggs as once - watch out for twins!

Old 09-02-2019, 04:16 AM

1,153 posts, read 563,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
You do realize that having a tubal ligation means your libido will disappear - it disrupts the natural hormonal cycle.

If you don't want any children, and are 35 years old without an accident, I suggest you continue doing what you are doing. It's working.

Check for fibroids. Women who do not have children but who do have a couple of abortions sometimes develop fibroids which can lead to heavy bleeding towards menopause - it's not a good reason for a hysterectomy.
I'm not suggesting a hysterectomy and I've never had an abortion.

Tubal ligation is what I'm suggesting, it doesn't disrupt the natural hormonal cycle. I'm against that, which is why I don't use the pill. All that happens after a tubal ligation is that an egg is released each month as normal, but instead of reaching the uterus, it doesn't get further than the fallopian tubes, dies and is reabsorbed back into the body. You have your normal cycle, you ovulate, etc, after a tubal ligation. It has no effect on a person's libido. The pill on the other hand effects mine.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
If someone who has normal fallopian tubes (no curly queues) does not want to have children, and has successfully avoided having children until the age of 35, then I think no intervention is the best option. It's a bit weird to panic about pregnancy for the first time 20 years after the start of fertility.

There are many ways to avoid pregnancy. Tubal ligation means interference with the normal monthly hormonal cycle. The cycle is broken.

If the goal is to not interrupt libido, then carry on without medical intervention. As you approach menopause you'll be dropping multiple eggs as once - watch out for twins!
I don't think you know about tubal ligation?

I don't want to use condoms nor do I want the worry of getting pregnant anymore, which I could theoretically become pregnant for the next 10 years (I'm 35). My mother got pregnant age 44 and when I had some nutritional testing a few years ago, they tested my fertility at the same time even though I didn't really care about that, and told me my LH and FSH levels were very good.

After a pregnancy scare last month (just a late period) this is a real dampener on my sex life.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:23 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. It is good to hear some positive experiences

Old 09-02-2019, 06:49 AM

15,202 posts, read 10,210,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I am a 35 year old woman who is considering sterilization. My form of birth control has always been withdrawal method combined with tracking my cycle obsessively by taking temperature and finding out when ovulation is happening and abstaining or using a condom during ovulation. It has worked in the past as I've never got pregnant but I don't want to worry anymore when my period is late, which frankly is something that happens often because my cycle can sometimes be a bit irregular.

I am a bit worried about side effects, complications or the process not working. Does anyone on here have experience with female sterilization, negative or positive?

I'm talking about the kind where they block your fallopian tubes, not a hysterectomy or anything.
You know what they call people who use the withdrawal method? Parents! If your cycle is irregular you are definitely playing Russian roulette.

I had an unplanned pregnancy at age 36. I wasn't thrilled but since I had two boys I thought maybe this one would be a girl. Unfortunately I miscarried at 6 weeks. I gave myself some time to get over the loss and then had a tubal ligation. Best thing I ever did. No more worrying about pregnancy, birth control, etc. It was a simple procedure and I think I went home the same day or maybe the next; I don't remember as it was in 1991 and I've had numerous hospitalizations since then. A little discomfort the first day or so but nothing intolerable.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:25 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,244,988 times
I used a diaphragm successfully for years. It avoided the risks of artificial hormones. Not the most convenient but very reliable if you're motivated. I'm 66 now so I no longer have to use anything. Woo-hoo!

My mother had some sort of sterilization back in the 1960s (5 kids in 7 years- she wanted that many but she was done). No side effects at all that I knew of. (When I was in college she wrote that she and Dad had gone on vacation to Myrtle Beach- "Being near the ocean does something to us". TMI, Mom!) She lived to age 85.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:46 AM

11,026 posts, read 9,659,351 times
Quote:
Don't do it. Use condoms or the pill. It's better for your overall lifelong wellness if you continue to be a whole person with regular periods until your last eggs are gone.

Out of curiosity, how many children do you have?
You still have a period with a tubal, just no eggs reach the uterus. I had a tubal at 38. It was a piece of cake. it was done in my OB/GYN's surgical suite. Her office building was next door to the hospital. They use an intravenous anesthetic, like they do with a colonoscopy. One drug knocks you out, 15 or 20 minutes later, a second drug wakes you up and you have one or two tiny incisions about a half an inch long with one suture to close. There was some mild discomfort, like menstrual cramps for a day or two, but no need to reduce my daily activities. You are considered sterile after your next period. I've never had any issues with it.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:51 AM

11,026 posts, read 9,659,351 times
Quote:

Not true. It in no way interferes with your hormonal cycle, periods, or libido. You still have ovaries, and they still produce hormones as normal. It's just basically a knot, or band (ligature, hence "ligation") tied around your fallopian tubes between the ovaries and the uterus. You still have all your factory installed parts present. It has zero effect on your libido, except now you don't have to worry about pregnancy so you are free to go at it anytime of the month you choose.

Seriously, don't answer a medical question if you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:02 AM

3,259 posts, read 4,972,250 times
I had a tubal ligation in 1979, after my third child was born, when I was age 32. It wasn't exactly a piece of cake -- it's abdominal surgery, after all -- but it wasn't the worst medical experience I've ever had, either. I'm very glad I did it.

There was no change in my periods, no hormonal disruptions, no problematic after-effects of any kind.

OP, talk to your OB-GYN and get the real facts, not pseudo-facts from strangers on an internet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness