Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 06:21 PM

17,465 posts, read 38,886,587 times

Advertisements

I was released from the hospital a few days ago with a blood clot. I am now on blood thinner (Eliquis), for at least 6 months, but probably for life. I know there are great risks of excessive bleeding in a trauma or accident and wondered if I need to wear a tag or bracelet indicating this? Does anyone here wear one consistently for this or any other medicl reason? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 06:54 PM

6,886 posts, read 4,349,461 times
Yes and yes.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:02 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,183,199 times
Short answer....Yes you should absolutely consider wearing a Medic Alert bracelet if you are on Eliquis or any blood thinner.

It's not just the risk of increased bleeding with trauma, which is real...

Lets say you had head trauma and lost consciousness, you are absolutely at increased risk of intracranial bleed compared to the "average" patient with head trauma....if your medical info isn't readily available no one treating you may know about the risk.

Especially true with the type of blood thinner you are on since it doesn't show up in routine lab testing the way Coumadin or Heparin would.

Another example....if you had a stroke, in an ischemic stroke the first line of treatment are potent thrombolytics...clot busters.....these are contraindicated in patients on blood thinners....if you were unable to communicate a medical history which would certainly be possible during a stroke treatment could be catastrophic

Old 09-02-2019, 07:02 PM

2,514 posts, read 2,735,738 times
Yes, I think you should and not just because of the Eliquis itself and its direct consequences but also because of potential drug cross-reactions.

I have a number of life-threatening allergies, including to commonly used medications (not blood thinners) as well as cross-reactions to some substances, such as latex. I have had anaphylaxis due to a certain foods, too. And I'm also severely allergic to all hymenoptra (think bees, wasps and their relatives). I've been wearing a bracelet for years.

I use Medic-Alert. Their database contains all my pertinent information in greater depth than what is on the bracelet. The most urgent information is engraved on the bracelet with a phone number for the EMT's, ER staff, etc., to access directly. They also keep on file all your emergency contact information.

Hope you're feeling better . . . I hate those wake-up calls when the body throws us a curve. Stay well!

Old 09-02-2019, 09:07 PM

Thanks all. I guess I am surprised the doctors did not suggest this to me. I will get one.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:07 AM

14,840 posts, read 11,978,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thanks all. I guess I am surprised the doctors did not suggest this to me. I will get one.
I think it's a good idea. Though I think ID tags are pushed more by marketing than by the docs who prescribe anticoagulants, your doctor probably didn't even think about it. Yours might have encouraged you to wear an ID tag if you'd asked about it, though.

I had wondered in passing about getting an ID tag after my pacemaker was implanted. But I really don't want one, and figure that since I was given an ID card showing the specifics about the pacemaker and leads, along with the name and phone number of the doctor and clinic, I can keep that in my wallet under the driver's license.

But people don't get ID cards for medication, so that ID tag might be the only notification to emergency medical personnel that you're on an anticoagulant in the event you can't tell them, so it's a good idea.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think it's a good idea. Though I think ID tags are pushed more by marketing than by the docs who prescribe anticoagulants, your doctor probably didn't even think about it. Yours might have encouraged you to wear an ID tag if you'd asked about it, though.

I had wondered in passing about getting an ID tag after my pacemaker was implanted. But I really don't want one, and figure that since I was given an ID card showing the specifics about the pacemaker and leads, along with the name and phone number of the doctor and clinic, I can keep that in my wallet under the driver's license.

But people don't get ID cards for medication, so that ID tag might be the only notification to emergency medical personnel that you're on an anticoagulant in the event you can't tell them, so it's a good idea.
Yes, I think it's a good idea, and I ordered one today with my name and medication engraved on it.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 8,346,577 times
I support the concept and it's goal to alert.
Curious if emts are required to even look for such tags?
I just finished a first aide course and no where does it say we must look for medical tags. And this was from the American red Cross.
This would certainly be something to also check out on a local level. I may just call my ambulance provider...

Old 09-03-2019, 06:22 PM

14,840 posts, read 11,978,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I support the concept and it's goal to alert.
Curious if emts are required to even look for such tags?
I just finished a first aide course and no where does it say we must look for medical tags. And this was from the American red Cross.
This would certainly be something to also check out on a local level. I may just call my ambulance provider...
I don't think there's a specific requirement for EMT's to go on a body search for medical ID jewelry, but a medical ID pendent or bracelet would hopefully be noticeable by a paramedic as soon as he/she encounters the patient, and provide valuable medical information that might not otherwise be easily available.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,987,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't think there's a specific requirement for EMT's to go on a body search for medical ID jewelry, but a medical ID pendent or bracelet would hopefully be noticeable by a paramedic as soon as he/she encounters the patient, and provide valuable medical information that might not otherwise be easily available.
EMTs, in my state, are supposed to check for the official DNR bracelet before they do anything with a patient, so I assume that when they look at both wrists they would notice a medical ID bracelet.

I'm been on blood thinners for years and none of my doctors have ever suggested a medical ID bracelet. But, I can see how one would be quite useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness