Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 10:57 AM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times

Advertisements

My tinnitus gets worse during allergy season. Almost never there out of season.

I have to believe that there is an allergy component to tinnitus

OP, I'd call ENT or, at least, your audiologist for a check-up

Old 09-04-2019, 11:22 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP: I have had some tinnitus issues off and on in my life and lately NOT SO, and I know that the antioxidants I take and have been for many years keep this issue very minimal. My hearing is good and I'm 81.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
I got tinnitus after car accident where various air bags were deployed
Noise was almost erased initially
Could not hear or conversations were very muted
I was treated at an ER because of seat belt trauma—couldn’t breath
But they did a **** poor assessment
I was told that if I had been given steroid right away for the air compression effect on the villi in my ear canal I might not have lost hearing or had tinnitus
Don’t know if that is true but they certainly didn’t do any real examination

Old 09-04-2019, 12:27 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I've had tinnitus for many years. It's there constantly. I've noticed that it gets louder when I eat anything with high sodium in it, like soup, and it also gets louder when I take an aspirin. After a while, the volume goes down to its normal level again. White noise is useful when the tinnitus becomes too annoying.

Sorry you have this, hope it's just temporary for you.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:05 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I got tinnitus after car accident where various air bags were deployed
Noise was almost erased initially
Could not hear or conversations were very muted
I was treated at an ER because of seat belt trauma—couldn’t breath
But they did a **** poor assessment
I was told that if I had been given steroid right away for the air compression effect on the villi in my ear canal I might not have lost hearing or had tinnitus
Don’t know if that is true but they certainly didn’t do any real examination
Traumatic soft tissue injuries can be hard to diagnose and treat because it is a fluid/dynamic situation. It gets worse before it gets better.

Having the correct treatment is key to recovery. I received the wrong treatment for 3 months - very discouraging experience. With an experienced knowledgeable physiotherapist, I needed about 6 weeks of 2X week treatment (ultrasound and electronic muscle stimulation) plus exercises to see relief. It was well worth it. I was surprised to learn that the neck muscles have such a major role in hearing and numbness/tingling in hands. I would suggest that anyone who has an onset of tinnitus should pursue treatment, as it is important for quality of life.

I also tried many acupuncture and massage therapy treatments. Both provided short term relief but, over time, made no difference.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:03 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I developed that in my left ear after the whiplash. Tinnitus is in the right ear. Whiplash direction was back left to front right and a second time back to front. The whooshing sound is also reduced through posture and neck exercise.

I don't know if this will help, but one exercise my physiotherapist has me doing is side to side neck movements (ear towards shoulder). There are two separate exercises. The first is to put my finger on my nose, keep my nose in one place, and tilt my head slowly to the left and right. The other one is to keep my finger in place, but to move my entire head and nose left to right. Sounds ridiculous, feels ridiculous, but does help. The first exercise addresses the upper neck muscles, the second addresses lower neck muscles. Another exercise is to pull my shoulders down - yesterday he put 10 lb weights in my hands and I did shoulder lifts.
Thanks, maybe I'll give this a try, though I try to be careful about what shoulder exercises I do. I get bursitis in my left shoulder and sometimes too vigorous exercise, and lifts with elbows above shoulders will aggrevate it.

I do several exercises that make me feel silly and probably look just as silly, so what's a couple more?

Old 09-04-2019, 07:44 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I've had tinnitus for many years. It's there constantly. I've noticed that it gets louder when I eat anything with high sodium in it, like soup, and it also gets louder when I take an aspirin. After a while, the volume goes down to its normal level again. White noise is useful when the tinnitus becomes too annoying.

Sorry you have this, hope it's just temporary for you.
Ringing in the ears is a side effect of taking aspirin and it goes away as the aspirin leaves your system. Usually it happens if you take too much aspirin, but it makes sense that if you already have tinnitus, it would make it worse.

Mine has gotten awful over the last few years. I've always had ringing to some extent, but now I hear birds tweeting, the cicada sound, one night I thought I heard steam blasting out of the radiator. I don't have hearing aids (yet) and will never get any if we can't cure the recurring inflammatory rashes in my ears. The skin peels, the ears produce wax, and the two make quite a plug. When it's cleared out, everything seems better for a while.

Meanwhile, it's so bad that sometimes I mute the TV and put on the closed captioning because the sound of the television, my ears, and the H saying anything to me it just all too much at once.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:22 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Thanks, maybe I'll give this a try, though I try to be careful about what shoulder exercises I do. I get bursitis in my left shoulder and sometimes too vigorous exercise, and lifts with elbows above shoulders will aggrevate it.

I do several exercises that make me feel silly and probably look just as silly, so what's a couple more?
A lot of my exercises look really nutty if people don't know why I'm doing such strange actions, but repetition of movement loosens the muscles and gradually rebuilds strength. The strange thing with tinnitus is that it distorts normal hearing and can interfere with figuring out the direction of a sound. I hear something, but don't know which direction to look to see what's causing the sound. That in itself is a strong reason for me to want to reduce and eliminate it.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:14 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Ringing in the ears is a side effect of taking aspirin and it goes away as the aspirin leaves your system. Usually it happens if you take too much aspirin, but it makes sense that if you already have tinnitus, it would make it worse.

Mine has gotten awful over the last few years. I've always had ringing to some extent, but now I hear birds tweeting, the cicada sound, one night I thought I heard steam blasting out of the radiator. I don't have hearing aids (yet) and will never get any if we can't cure the recurring inflammatory rashes in my ears. The skin peels, the ears produce wax, and the two make quite a plug. When it's cleared out, everything seems better for a while.

Meanwhile, it's so bad that sometimes I mute the TV and put on the closed captioning because the sound of the television, my ears, and the H saying anything to me it just all too much at once.
I have had tinnitus for 60 years. And, yes, there are times when it is louder and times I forget I have it. If I think about it, like now, it seems louder. Of course, having a conversation in a crowed room, is almost impossible for me - I have lost too much of my hearing. But, if I did not have my tinnitus, I would not have anybody to talk to!

Old 09-05-2019, 04:19 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Greetings,

60 year old male here. I've never had an issue with Tinnitus in my life until very recently. I do have two siblings that have this condition though. I've had poor hearing all my life and I do wear hearing aids although rarely at home. I few months ago I started hearing a noise in my left ear and at first I thought it was something within my home. Didn't take long to realize it was just me. Thing is there is no ringing of the ear but more of a sound like a bunch of Cicada's. It's pretty much non stop now. Am I right in believing that there is really nothing that can be done about this or is it worth seeing someone about it?
You would be right. It happens, its annoying, and eventually your brain helps ignore it.
It began with me about the same age. Too many turbine engine leak-checks, and too many mega-decibel concerts.
Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness