Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 04:51 PM

17,300 posts, read 13,042,795 times

Advertisements

https://www.realsimple.com/health/pr...lu-season-tips

Quote:
Caesar Djavaherian, MD, a cofounder and chief medical director at Carbon Health, and the previous founder of Direct Urgent Care, is breaking down everything you need to know to stay ahead of the upcoming cold and flu season this year.
When exactly is flu season?

“We think of cold and flu season in terms of peak number of patients affected,” says Dr. Djavaherian. “Since the flu never really goes away, identifying the peak month of activity is more useful. In the past 35 years, peak flu season has most commonly occurred between October and May and has most frequently peaked in February.”

Not a vaccination article, so don't post pros and cons of vaccines

Old 09-07-2019, 09:39 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,840,903 times
If you need to drastically change your behavior because you are terrified of 'flu season' you're probably not taking any steps to support your health during the rest of the year.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If you need to drastically change your behavior because you are terrified of 'flu season' you're probably not taking any steps to support your health during the rest of the year.
I certainly agree, and know that my antioxidants/immune system supports keep me healthy 365 days.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:10 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,187,292 times
Quote:
Who is "terrified"? And how is getting a shot "drastically" changing your behavior?

I do lots of stuff to stay healthy and this is just one of those things. You do your "thing". But do know that if you change or even think about your diet or your activity level you are of course terrified as the reason for doing so.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:23 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,840,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Who is "terrified"? And how is getting a shot "drastically" changing your behavior?

I do lots of stuff to stay healthy and this is just one of those things. You do your "thing". But do know that if you change or even think about your diet or your activity level you are of course terrified as the reason for doing so.
If you read the actual OP, this is not discussion vaccines. At all. Not mentioned, not allowed to discuss.

So again, if someone is drastically changing their behavior, they ARE terrified of something, or they just don't care at all about their health until they see the media fear mongering about flu. And then panic and change behavior as a reaction to advertising of the flu.

I mean, really. Is anyone anywhere in the entire United States NOT aware of flu season? We don't need to be told about it anymore. Seriously, why can't the media just move on?

Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,758,953 times
The flu can get anyone regardless of how well they take care of themselves. I think a healthy lifestyle will perhaps lessen the severity or time of the illness.
I had not gotten the flu for 50 years. I got it two years ago and it flattened me. I take very good care of myself with eating extremely healthy and exercising.
Lots of people will say they never got it because they are so good at taking care of themselves and they doubt they ever will get it. The flu doesn't care.

The best way to prevent the flu is by washing hands and staying away from people who have it. Obviously that is a tall order.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Flu happens. That's why I keep Oscillococcinum in my home.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:20 PM

26,634 posts, read 28,419,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Flu happens. That's why I keep Oscillococcinum in my home.
That never worked for me. What worked was avoiding crowds.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
Quote:
If you read the actual OP, this is not discussion vaccines. At all. Not mentioned, not allowed to discuss.

So again, if someone is drastically changing their behavior, they ARE terrified of something, or they just don't care at all about their health until they see the media fear mongering about flu. And then panic and change behavior as a reaction to advertising of the flu.

I mean, really. Is anyone anywhere in the entire United States NOT aware of flu season? We don't need to be told about it anymore. Seriously, why can't the media just move on?
The OP said no pro/con of vaccines. That said, virtually every article about how to avoid flu says as their #1 message: Get a flu vaccine. The rest of the stuff isn't very helpful without the vaccine.

"If you don’t make an effort to prevent it, odds are that you’ll catch the flu this season."
https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/c...g_germs_work#1
https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en...the-flu-1-3001

This has nothing to do with being "terrified". It has to do with taking care of oneself.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:23 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,572,771 times
Our whole family got the flu last winter. We slept a lot and took supplements like elderberry and vitamin C. We also drank a lot of tea with lemon and honey. It was the first time I’ve had it in a very long time. The first time my youngest has ever had it and the second time for my oldest and the first time in about a decade or my husband. It was tiring but overall, not a big deal.

I’m going to prepare by having elderberry syrup on hand as well as a few other supplements. I’m going to continue washing my hands regularly. That’s about it.

Last edited by MissTerri; 09-09-2019 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness