Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 06:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times

Advertisements

I used a walker in the bathroom because space was really tight in there. My best advice for the bathroom is to start heading toward it as soon as you need to go, don't put it off until it becomes really urgent.

Also, if you still have periods, make sure you'll be able to use your usual period supplies...I had the hardest time inserting a tampon when my leg was broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 08:25 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,041,607 times
If you don't have a hand held sprayer on your shower, get someone to switch out your showerhead for you - it makes a world of difference in terms of being able to effectively shower while using the shower chair.

When I was non-weight bearing, it was for hip surgery and I used a walker rather than a knee scooter and attached a basket to the front so I could transport small items around my home. Maybe you can right something like that for the knee scooter?

I also found it was easiest to get one of those big water containers with the spigot to have on a table next to the sofa where I spent most of my time, so that I could always have water nearby and not have to get up to get it every time.

https://www.target.com/p/arrowhead-b...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Esp at the beginning where you might need to take pain pills overnight, keep some pretzels (and water of course) next to you bed, so that you don't have to take anything on an empty stomach.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:54 AM

51,587 posts, read 25,525,472 times
Great advice in the above posts. Get your systems in place and practice before surgery.

Great idea to get a water container with a spigot near your nest.

Only thing I have to offer is instead of pillows to elevate your foot while sleeping, get a form wedge pillow for elevating legs. Pillows slip around.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:35 AM

526 posts, read 896,267 times
When my brother (a doctor himself) broke his ankle, he used a knee crutch like this one: https://iwalk-free.com/

He tried this after a few weeks of using regular crutches and a knee scooter. Regular crutches have a lot of obvious disadvantages (hard on the upper body, can't carry anything). The knee scooter was nice in some situations but was bulky and impractical in lots of indoor settings.

He said it the knee crutch was amazingly easy to get used to, it leaves your hands completely free, and it is easy to use in small spaces. I would definitely consider it if I were you.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:57 AM

129 posts, read 81,516 times
Absolutely get a hand-held shower sprayer. And be sure you know how to get up or down steps. My husband broke his leg and they sent us home from the hospital with crutches and pain pills and no idea how to function. We had our first "OH CRAP" moment when he tried to go up the one step from our garage to the house... we can laugh about it now but it took forever to figure out how to get up or down that one single step. Have a sturdy non-rolling chair next to the garage and install grab bars now! We had to watch You Tube videos to figure out most of it. He was non-weight-bearing for 10-12 weeks and it was absolute hell for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness