Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,911 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow I am having Achilles Tendon reattachment using a second tendon (the one that goes to your big toe). I will be non weight bearing for 12-16 weeks. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I did order a knee scooter and a shower chair. I will read books, watch movies, work on my Italian, etc. but, I mean other things like learning to use the scooter, washing my hair ideas, shaving legs, getting around and to the bathroom... etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 AM

15,106 posts, read 27,550,358 times
I was non-weight bearing for several weeks after foot surgery. I used a wheeled office chair to get around, I found I had swelling and had to keep the leg elevated (not doable on a knee scooter). Have lots of ice on hand, put a pillow under your leg to keep it elevated when sleeping. I washed my hair in the kitchen sink (kneeled on the chair). I think your hairy legs will be fine, LOL. I also learned (the hard way) - that although I had brought up lots of things that would easy to eat/heat up from my basement storage, I had put them up in cabinets that I couldn't reach sitting (I usually can reach many of them only by standing tiptoe which of course wasn't possible - had a neighbor friend come in and pull the things down for me). Good luck.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:14 PM

22,835 posts, read 18,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karendfw View Post
Tomorrow I am having Achilles Tendon reattachment using a second tendon (the one that goes to your big toe). I will be non weight bearing for 12-16 weeks. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I did order a knee scooter and a shower chair. I will read books, watch movies, work on my Italian, etc. but, I mean other things like learning to use the scooter, washing my hair ideas, shaving legs, getting around and to the bathroom... etc.
Practice getting yourself around your house with the scooter. Through doorways and around things that can't be moved like the vanity, sink, toilet in your bathroom. Better to find out where it will work and where it won't ahead of time. Practice the transfer from your shower chair. You may find having a set of crutches helpful...they'll take up less space in a constricted area than the scooter will and are more maneuverable. However, using crutches means your hands aren't available...find some sort of soft open top shoulder bag to carry small items in as you move around.

A hand held grabber device will help you reach things that aren't within easy reach, pick things up off the floor that you dropped, etc. I put a strip of velcro on the handle of mine and attached the other velcro piece to a crutch (you could attach it to your scooter) so it was always with me. Nothing more annoying than needing the grabber and realizing you left it somewhere.

Create yourself a "nest" in the chair or couch most likely where you'll spend the most time sitting. Gather together little items on a side table you may want while being there to save some trips elsewhere. Obviously right after your surgery you'll be sore and have to deal with swelling, but as time goes on you won't be hurting, and be tempted to "cheat" on the whole non-weightbearing restriction. That's actually the harder time...sticking with it.

As for icing (to reduce swelling and discomfort) are you going to use a plug in chiller (a portable apparatus that pumps cold water from an ice-filled cooler through a wrap around the area) or cold packs? Stock up on cold packs so you always have one ready.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-08-2019 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 02:28 PM

17,318 posts, read 13,051,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I was non-weight bearing for several weeks after foot surgery. I used a wheeled office chair to get around, I found I had swelling and had to keep the leg elevated (not doable on a knee scooter). Have lots of ice on hand, put a pillow under your leg to keep it elevated when sleeping. I washed my hair in the kitchen sink (kneeled on the chair). I think your hairy legs will be fine, LOL. I also learned (the hard way) - that although I had brought up lots of things that would easy to eat/heat up from my basement storage, I had put them up in cabinets that I couldn't reach sitting (I usually can reach many of them only by standing tiptoe which of course wasn't possible - had a neighbor friend come in and pull the things down for me). Good luck.

Get a grabber

https://www.aginginplace.org/best-re...grabber-tools/

Old 09-08-2019, 02:33 PM

5,839 posts, read 6,108,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I second this. I got one after back surgery in May to avoid bending and I actually still use it for some things, just out of convenience.

I would have some concerns about using mine to pick up something heavy from above me, so make sure you get a sturdy one, OP.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:56 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,726,637 times
Another vote for grabbers! I got mine to help when my wonky back acts up and I can't get up and down. Then I had a leg injury a couple of years ago which put my right leg out of commission for two months - as in I couldn't bend it at all and could barely put weight on it. The grabber was invaluable. On my good days I still use it for that sock that dropped between washer and dryer or those recalcitrant leaves hiding behind pots on my patio. I wonder how I ever lived without it?!

I have two - one with the pincers and one with the suction cups. I much prefer the suction cups as it is better at picking up small items. The pincers one only closes "so far" and anything smaller than that gap doesn't get picked up. Think like a piece of paper . . . the suction cup one can still get it but the pincers one can't.

Great advice about storing items at an easily reachable level. In the same fall that injured that leg, I also sprained my left hand and all fingers, wrist and elbow so my arm was useless. I wouldn't have dared to try to take something off an upper shelf with only one hand and a bad leg. My neighbors brought things down to a workable level. Mine was an accident (guess that's obvious!) so I hadn't had an opportunity to prepare but it made me change some of my habits around here just in case anything like that ever happens again.

On a positive note, my mom severed the tendons on the front of her ankle many years ago and after reconstructive surgery similar to yours made a complete recovery. Just be sure to follow instructions and go to PT if it's prescribed. Best of luck tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:29 PM

15,106 posts, read 27,550,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I really should as I'm not quite 5' tall - my late husband was 6'4" so I had a live in reacher - I do have step stools and stepladders of course.

I forgot to mention about the crutches, I would assume they would be supplied at the hospital.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:50 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,562,368 times
I was non weight bearing for over 2 months after knee surgery last year. Do not shower when you’re home alone no matter what. I slipped and it was almost really bad. Also use a backpack - it’s really useful for carrying things around while on crutches or a scooter. Make sure you have drinks with solid lids that won’t spill. Download some mindless apps on your tablet or phone to pass time. Binge watch Netflix. Try to do something each day even if that something is a crossword puzzle. Good luck!!

Old 09-08-2019, 04:28 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,914,385 times
i had AT reattachment after trying to act 30 again (nephew: Go Long!....i went about half-way)

"Does anyone have any words of wisdom?"
1. get an apron (or 2) with lots of Big and DEEP pockets.
2. stick furniture "sliders" on the bottom of a laundry basket. easier to slide it around when filled with too-big-for-apron stuff.
3. straighten out a wire coat hanger to reach an itch underneath the cast (or whatever).
4. research walking canes online. i like Harvey canes better than the standard type.
5. buy some gel-cap Advil. that worked better for me than hydrocodone.
6. Amazon Prime.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:35 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
When a person goes thru this, there are things that are not that important. Wipes are great and a shower/bath isn't needed every day etc,, let the legs go, they will be fine with some hair, and there are wonderful dry spray shampoos...Batiste is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness