Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,741,621 times

Advertisements

So over the summer, I was doing my landscaping up here in the Pocono Mountains. If anyone knows the topography of the area, it’s rocks and clay. I have a downward hill in front of my house. They dug out for my foundation and seem to have just dumped the rocks in the front. In an attempt to make it look nice, I needed to remove some rocks.
Some of them are enormous. Actually, a few dozen are. There were many very large that I popped loose with a heavy landscape fork, then lifted into a wheelbarrow. I went to lift one particularly heavy one and felt a major pull in my right bicep. It hurt badly for a couple weeks. It went away and I didn’t lift any more of the rocks.
Three weeks ago, I was helping my daughter move. I went to lift one end of the sofa and felt it again. The pain in the bicep is severe. I now have a significantly decreased usage of my right arm with pain traveling to the forearm. I’m even getting a burning pain when I turn my hand up or down.
I should add that I’ve always been active and lifting isn’t anything new for me. I do it regularly and always have.
A year ago, I had a shoulder injury, due to lifting. I went to the ortho. They found bursitis, tendinitis, a cyst and a rotator tear. They basically said to do nothing and it will heal. Just rest for two weeks. That cost me about $1000 with insurance, so hopefully you can see my hesitation to go back to the doctor to just be told to rest it.
Has anyone ever had anything like this with their bicep and forearm? If so, did it ever just go away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:49 PM

44,566 posts, read 61,347,806 times
I had rotator tears in both arms at different times, The first one I had surgery and pain issues with it for years afterwards.
The second tear in the other arm several years later I said to my self that I would not go through with that surgery again. I nursed it along with pain pills and after about 1 year the problem solved itself and there has been no pain since. I also resolved to not do any heavy lifting again.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:25 AM

924 posts, read 1,668,464 times
This sounds a lot like a biceps tendon tear and I would see an ortho sooner rather than later.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
This sounds a lot like a biceps tendon tear and I would see an ortho sooner rather than later.
You know, I thought this too. I have no bruising or visible deformity in the entire arm. It certainly hurts like something is up but physical appearance looks normal.
I had some very faint broken blood vessels after lifting the sofa but that was it.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 AM

924 posts, read 1,668,464 times
I had one in the upper part of my right arm after a car accident. There was nothing to see on the outside (no "Popeye arm.") The pain I had was a constant ache that intensified to real pain with movement, especially in certain middle ranges. I do remember pain radiating up to my shoulder if I tried to flip my hand over with my arm outstretched.

Go see the doctor. They'll probably get you into a sling, give you an anti-inflammatory and send you for an MRI to see what this could be.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:33 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,614,992 times
I don't want to scare you, but it sounds like it's not getting better and I had a similar situation with my arm several years ago. I had a pain in my arm, with trouble raising it, after heavy lifting. My doctor gave me some anti-inflamatories and told me it would get better (but it didn't). After a couple of weeks she told me to go to the ER and it turned out to be a large blood clot. This is pretty rare so odds are that it's not a blood clot, but you never know. I'd get it checked out if I were you.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:49 AM

Ok, you all have me panicking a little bit. I’m going to make an appointment.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:32 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,614,992 times
It's probably not anything serious but better safe than sorry in my opinion.

I have bad insurance too now so I sometimes send a message or call the doctor on call at the office as a first step if it's something I'm unsure about.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:57 PM

23,015 posts, read 18,343,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Ok, you all have me panicking a little bit. I’m going to make an appointment.
Injuries can be cumulative. You could have reached a sort of threshold beyond what the body could repair without help. Best to get it checked. There are scans/imagery the doc can use to pinpoint the real source of the problem to promote best healing and help you avoid more damage.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:04 PM

Thank you, everyone. My appointment is tomorrow afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness