Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 03:01 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,879,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Only with other providers directly involved in your medical care. It doesn’t give consent to share with your friends, employer etc. I work in the medical field and you only ever see or discuss a patient’s information if you’re caring for them or have a direct need to know.
And other medical facilities that ask for it.

And the government. Whenever it feels like asking for it for data collection. Which could be collected for a third party.

Truth is, you do not know who sees your medical information once you sign the HIPAA firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 03:08 PM

3,060 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
If a person ever files an insurance claim from being injured in a car wreck the insurance company will demand to see ALL of your medical records for the past 5 years or longer.They are looking for anything that could discredit you and your claim... Also all records from any physiatrist and his notes on you can be reviewed for anything you may have said that could in some way discredit you.....All of this focus on you and you were the victim just trying to have your medical bills paid.
That must be for only auto accidents because Ive never seen that with other types of accidents.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:08 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,154,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Every time I buy medicine the clerk ask if I have a CVS card. If so the record of what I have just bought goes onto the card data and this info IS NOT protected,I am not happy with this so I do not have a cvs card,,,

Your prescriptions are already in CVS's Rx system.

There is nothing regarding the Rx contents that goes into the CVS card..Only that you had an Rx filled

But that has nothing to do with OP

Old 09-18-2019, 06:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And other medical facilities that ask for it.

And the government. Whenever it feels like asking for it for data collection. Which could be collected for a third party.

Truth is, you do not know who sees your medical information once you sign the HIPAA firm.
I work in healthcare IT. This is false in so many ways...

1) other medical facilities can only see this if you sign a release to allow them to. They then have to request the info and only certain things are shared of that based on legal and compliance’s decisions on what is ok to share with external facilities. There are sometimes state-wide forms that allow other sites to share, such as within Epic (the vendor for most of the larger hospital systems in the us)

2) any data used for government purposes is first anonymized by the computer. What they might get is something like 40y female came in with chest pain on 9/1 and her diagnosis was anxiety attack. They cannot see anything truly identifying and you’re talking about places with hundreds of thousands or even millions of patient visits a year.

3) you can request an audit trail of all people who view your records and the HIM department must produce it. This shows everyone from doctors and nurses to someone in IT who was troubleshooting a ticket to registration and the billing folks etc. so you can have complete knowledge of this if you want to - all you have to do is ask.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,879,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I work in healthcare IT. This is false in so many ways...

1) other medical facilities can only see this if you sign a release to allow them to. They then have to request the info and only certain things are shared of that based on legal and compliance’s decisions on what is ok to share with external facilities. There are sometimes state-wide forms that allow other sites to share, such as within Epic (the vendor for most of the larger hospital systems in the us)

2) any data used for government purposes is first anonymized by the computer. What they might get is something like 40y female came in with chest pain on 9/1 and her diagnosis was anxiety attack. They cannot see anything truly identifying and you’re talking about places with hundreds of thousands or even millions of patient visits a year.

3) you can request an audit trail of all people who view your records and the HIM department must produce it. This shows everyone from doctors and nurses to someone in IT who was troubleshooting a ticket to registration and the billing folks etc. so you can have complete knowledge of this if you want to - all you have to do is ask.
Right.

The govt can take ANY DATA they want. Whenever they want. They can get into all your EMR no problem.

Other medical facilities means EVERY facility that parent company owns, plus every relationship they have with other companies, as well as any others mentioned on the form.

To pretend that the HIPAA form is about 'privacy' is an insane joke.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,109,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
I was told by a pharmacist that it was a federal database. I dont take claritin/decongestant thats behind the counter anymore. I dont feel like being carded every time and treated like Im an addict.
find a new pharmacist.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 PM

2,870 posts, read 2,109,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Yes, I included the antibiotic that was proscribed by the dentist on the form I filled out at the PCP before the appointment. I wasn't hiding anything.

My surprise was that doctor's office could view all my Pharmacy meds online in the Pharmacy website whether the PCP prescribed them or not.

I was not informed by the pharmacy that this was the case, nor was I asked to sign a consent form to allow any provider to view my prescriptions.
something is off here. unless they are part of the same system (i.e. kaiser type system) docs cannot access pharmacy computer systems that i know of.

a state's controlled substance data base is NOT a pharmacy prescription data base although the info in it comes FROM pharmacies. they data bases are managed by the states. as far as i know the states don't yet communicate with each other, there is no federal controlled substance prescription data base.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:45 PM

15,994 posts, read 20,986,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
find a new pharmacist.
That won't change anything unless he finds a shady pharmacist, and who really wants to do that?

In 2005, Congress passed the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act to address the criminal diversion of PSE to the illegal production of meth. This federal law requires:

PSE-containing OTC medicines to be secured and sold from behind a sales counter;
Daily purchase limits of 3.6 grams (approximately a 15-day supply) per day and 9 grams per 30 days; and
Purchasers must present government–issued identification and sign a logbook accessible by law enforcement.
In a lot of places the 'logbook' is electronic so you might not realize you're 'signing' it, but if you buy PSE products you're getting carded one way or another.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:38 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,333,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I ran into this issue this morning at a doctor's office (PCP) at a large healthcare system. I was in the office with the assistant, who does the blood pressure, etc., and she was reading off all the scrips I had filled recently at a local pharmacy. Some that she listed had been prescribed by my dentist, where I had some oral surgery a month ago. The dentist office has nothing to do with the healthcare system where I see the PCP.

I understand that doctors need to know all meds a patient is taking, but everything the doctors in a given health system have prescribed is already in their system. And I have to fill out a form prior to each app't listing everything I'm taking.

For a healthcare system doctor's office to be able to view all of a patient's past prescriptions online at a particular pharmacy, even if they weren't prescribed by that institution, just seems wrong to me. Too invasive, in my view. I didn't realize until today that doctors can view 3rd party pharmacy records online. The pharmacy is a separate business, in this case, part of a grocery store. What's next, the doctor's office viewing my grocery items at checkout?
I agree with you 100%. My eye doctor's assistant saw every one of my prescriptions from my pharmacy, even though I had not given them a list. I don't like this at all. Don't understand why he would need all this info anyway.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Right.

The govt can take ANY DATA they want. Whenever they want. They can get into all your EMR no problem.

Other medical facilities means EVERY facility that parent company owns, plus every relationship they have with other companies, as well as any others mentioned on the form.

To pretend that the HIPAA form is about 'privacy' is an insane joke.
You are insanely paranoid...the government can’t take any data they want. There are checks and balances. The data that gets reported to them is for overall public health and is not attached to an individual person’s identity. I have seen what gets sent across in requests and all personal identifiers are removed. They can request information but again it’s not “newtovenice came to us with x,y,z complaint and lives at this address.” As for other healthcare providers again they can only access individual patient data if they have an explicit need to. You cannot just go scrolling or go look up your neighbor or something unless you want to get fired and wind up in court potentially. Heck we are not even permitted to look at our own medical records in the system - seriously. It is all so heavily audited you really are worrying about things that just don’t happen in real life. You may not believe me but seriously almost no one is going to risk their career and the time and money invested in the education needed to get there to go snooping in a medical record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness