Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:41 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,522,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I ran into this issue this morning at a doctor's office (PCP) at a large healthcare system. I was in the office with the assistant, who does the blood pressure, etc., and she was reading off all the scrips I had filled recently at a local pharmacy. Some that she listed had been prescribed by my dentist, where I had some oral surgery a month ago. The dentist office has nothing to do with the healthcare system where I see the PCP.

I understand that doctors need to know all meds a patient is taking, but everything the doctors in a given health system have prescribed is already in their system. And I have to fill out a form prior to each app't listing everything I'm taking.

For a healthcare system doctor's office to be able to view all of a patient's past prescriptions online at a particular pharmacy, even if they weren't prescribed by that institution, just seems wrong to me. Too invasive, in my view. I didn't realize until today that doctors can view 3rd party pharmacy records online. The pharmacy is a separate business, in this case, part of a grocery store. What's next, the doctor's office viewing my grocery items at checkout?
The heavy push toward all medical records (including pharmacies) being handled and kept electronically started with George W. Bush. I think that was passed at that time. But Obama cont'd it. So both parties were in favor of it.

It supposedly saves money, but also makes it easy for anyone who would have a right to that info, to get it cheaply and quickly. Any treating provider would, I suppose, have the right to get your entire medical records.

This can be good, if you forgot that you took a medicine before, or had a procedure. It can be bad, too. Does the govt have a list of everyone who has had an abortion? Or has taken opioids? Or everyone who has AIDS?

The records can also be hacked, since they're electronic.

Personally, I think they wanted this because the insurance companies wanted it, and the govt wanted it. You can understand why the ins. cos. wanted it. When you apply for ins., they don't have to rely only on what you say is your medical history, they will have your records (back to only a certain year, I would think).

When I got an individual ins. policy in 2014, the company (Blue Cross) called me and asked me about a medication I'd taken at a prior time...was that continuing, what was it for. They told me I didn't have to answer, but I did (it was a one time thing...no biggie). So BC had accessed my electronic records, since I didn't have to "apply" or fill out a form (it was Obamacare).

I'm just glad I'm older, so most of my records will never be in that system. I just hope they don't think the generic Prozac I got for several years was for me....it was for my dog! The dr's name on it was a vet, so I guess they would know that. Still, you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,799,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDann636 View Post
My wife got a script for 2 1mg tabs of Ativan for a series of scans. Every time she saw a new provider it was “so you take Ativan”? Maybe it sounds silly to some, but she felt uncomfortable. Personally, I don’t care, but some do.
Good example of providers not carefully looking at the reason for the Ativan. App'ts are rushed and doctors don't take time to look carefully at records. This is how mistakes and bad assumptions happen.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:37 PM

1,159 posts, read 613,031 times
I wouldn't like it. Nosey. I don't trust doctors.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:27 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,154,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
I wouldn't like it. Nosey. I don't trust doctors.

Well, that's the world we live in. Time to get over it!

Not "Nosey", life saving

Old 10-02-2019, 11:18 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,882,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Well, that's the world we live in. Time to get over it!

Not "Nosey", life saving
Or opt out.

Don't sign the HIPAA form. See what happens.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:59 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,799,149 times
Well, I did some more research on this topic and learned that there is a PDMP (Prescription Drug Monitoring Program) database in almost all states. It was set up a few years ago to track controlled substances prescribed by any provider, and to track opioid abuse and track people who "doctor shop" for opioids.

However, it also tracks all other prescriptions from any provider in the state, and can be accessed by any provider in a given state.

As far as I know, each state has its own PDMP database, and it's not accessible across state lines by individual providers, but perhaps it is accessible to law enforcement across state lines, no idea about that.

So, at any rate, this answers my initial question about why a primary care doctor in a clinic can see a prescription from an independent dentist. I had this happen again the other day in a doctor's appointment. The assistant was reviewing my medications and asked me if I was taking the prescription mouthwash. It threw me off, since the mouthwash was prescribed by my dentist a while ago. I don't care if the doctor knows about the mouthwash, but I was surprised that they somehow knew about it without my mentioning it. As mentioned before, it's about patient information, and who has access to it.

After some research, I found out about the PDMP database in most states. So, question answered.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:59 PM

23,821 posts, read 33,345,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Well, I did some more research on this topic and learned that there is a PDMP (Prescription Drug Monitoring Program) database in almost all states. It was set up a few years ago to track controlled substances prescribed by any provider, and to track opioid abuse and track people who "doctor shop" for opioids.

However, it also tracks all other prescriptions from any provider in the state, and can be accessed by any provider in a given state.

As far as I know, each state has its own PDMP database, and it's not accessible across state lines by individual providers, but perhaps it is accessible to law enforcement across state lines, no idea about that.

So, at any rate, this answers my initial question about why a primary care doctor in a clinic can see a prescription from an independent dentist. I had this happen again the other day in a doctor's appointment. The assistant was reviewing my medications and asked me if I was taking the prescription mouthwash. It threw me off, since the mouthwash was prescribed by my dentist a while ago. I don't care if the doctor knows about the mouthwash, but I was surprised that they somehow knew about it without my mentioning it. As mentioned before, it's about patient information, and who has access to it.

After some research, I found out about the PDMP database in most states. So, question answered.
One of the pharmacists that replied said that. I ended up finding his reply pretty easy, #15

Google - Prescription Drug Monitoring Program database - A prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP) is an electronic database that tracks controlled substance prescriptions in a state. PDMPs can provide health authorities timely information about prescribing and patient behaviors that contribute to the epidemic and facilitate a nimble and targeted response

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
My professional guess is that they looked at any controlled substances that you purchased

This is now state law in most states that a database of controlled drugs be available for any healthcare professional that treats you or dispenses meds to you

This prevents "doctor shopping"

I can't believe the number of times that one idiot or another would come into my store with an RX for Oxy or Percocet, etc and when I checked OARRS https://www.ohiopmp.gov/ and say that it had been filled at 4-5 stores (written by 4-5 doctors) in the past week. (Even though EVERY store and EVERY Dr's office is supposed to check EVERY time, some don't---They are in the process of being investigated in Ohio and I expect all hell to break loose)

I would mark the Rx and give it back and the idiots would swear on their children's lives that it wasn't them! Screw em!!!!

OP, get used to it!!!

Old 10-25-2019, 03:01 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,234,514 times
Better you worry about who else reads your medical records than protest a doctor reading them. Like it or not, your medical records are no longer private. It's a long story and I am short on time.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:34 PM

3,334 posts, read 2,294,079 times
Coordination of care is a good thing not a bad thing. Some people forget that they take a thing, or don't think it "counts". Some people leave stuff off on purpose but some don't mean to leave things off. Like people with memory problems or a patient coming in with a lot of pain, they're not thinking too straight. Or even people brought in unconscious if they have an id showing who they are but they can't tell the doctor anything. Best that the doctor can see everything and not have to rely on the patient to tell the truth /and/ remember everything /and/ be able to recite or write down a list at the moment.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:59 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,234,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Coordination of care is a good thing not a bad thing. Some people forget that they take a thing, or don't think it "counts". Some people leave stuff off on purpose but some don't mean to leave things off. Like people with memory problems or a patient coming in with a lot of pain, they're not thinking too straight. Or even people brought in unconscious if they have an id showing who they are but they can't tell the doctor anything. Best that the doctor can see everything and not have to rely on the patient to tell the truth /and/ remember everything /and/ be able to recite or write down a list at the moment.

How about agreeing that it's a bit of both? Like anything else we deal with - pros and cons. But it still boils down to: "Your medical records are not private. So, be careful what you say." And, by the way, have you ever wondered why we patients do not get to read what the doctor says about us? I have one instance where I'd really like to know. But, there we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness