Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM

1,488 posts, read 872,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This can protect you from medication interactions or from side effects if you have had a medication that you react badly to that is similar to another one. A lot of times people might not always remember every medication they are prescribed, particularly if it is an as needed medication that they might take once every few months.
Thanks...that was what I was going to point out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 02:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,997,496 times
Quote:
This can protect you from medication interactions or from side effects if you have had a medication that you react badly to that is similar to another one. A lot of times people might not always remember every medication they are prescribed, particularly if it is an as needed medication that they might take once every few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Thanks...that was what I was going to point out!
Me, too.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:48 PM

7,957 posts, read 7,309,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I certainly agree that there are people out there who scam the system, but I'm not one of them. This system assumes everyone is "guilty before being proven innocent."

You have to show ID when you buy certain cough syrup at the grocery store. Do you get offended? Do you feel like you're being accused of doing something wrong? The first time I was "carded" at the supermarket for cough syrup I was a little miffed but I got over it.

As for the doctor's office doing "due diligence" on medicines, I do not object at all.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,951,787 times
Of course they can see all your prescriptions, why wouldn't they? The drugs you take shouldn't be kept a secret from any of your healthcare providers.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:57 PM

17,379 posts, read 13,125,822 times
Quote:
I ran into this issue this morning at a doctor's office (PCP) at a large healthcare system. I was in the office with the assistant, who does the blood pressure, etc., and she was reading off all the scrips I had filled recently at a local pharmacy. Some that she listed had been prescribed by my dentist, where I had some oral surgery a month ago. The dentist office has nothing to do with the healthcare system where I see the PCP.

I understand that doctors need to know all meds a patient is taking, but everything the doctors in a given health system have prescribed is already in their system. And I have to fill out a form prior to each app't listing everything I'm taking.

For a healthcare system doctor's office to be able to view all of a patient's past prescriptions online at a particular pharmacy, even if they weren't prescribed by that institution, just seems wrong to me. Too invasive, in my view. I didn't realize until today that doctors can view 3rd party pharmacy records online. The pharmacy is a separate business, in this case, part of a grocery store. What's next, the doctor's office viewing my grocery items at checkout?

My professional guess is that they looked at any controlled substances that you purchased

This is now state law in most states that a database of controlled drugs be available for any healthcare professional that treats you or dispenses meds to you

This prevents "doctor shopping"

I can't believe the number of times that one idiot or another would come into my store with an RX for Oxy or Percocet, etc and when I checked OARRS https://www.ohiopmp.gov/ and say that it had been filled at 4-5 stores (written by 4-5 doctors) in the past week. (Even though EVERY store and EVERY Dr's office is supposed to check EVERY time, some don't---They are in the process of being investigated in Ohio and I expect all hell to break loose)

I would mark the Rx and give it back and the idiots would swear on their children's lives that it wasn't them! Screw em!!!!

OP, get used to it!!!

Old 09-16-2019, 02:57 PM

7,142 posts, read 4,984,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Really? Do you not honestly inform any doctor you are visiting of your current medications? I'd love to know why not, IMO this is risky behavior, but maybe I'm missing something.

Very short sighted. Your medical history becoming part of public record is the first step towards a Dystopian Society where eugenics will be practiced. (Think I'm exaggerating? How many TreeHuggers are out there thinking there's "too many people" for the health of the planet? How do they vote?

BTW- in over 40 yrs of practicing, I never once asked for "old records." I preferred making my own mistakes instead of repeating others'.

BTW- in over 40 yrs of practice, I never once asked for "old records." I preferred making my own mistakes instead of perpetuating others'.

Quote:

The problem is, the non-physicians take the history and enter it into the record. My experience since I have become a "civilian" on the cold end of the stethoscope is the docs just give it a glance at best and it doesn't sink in.

x2zy has it right in an earlier post (too early to rep you again): why should 329,500,000 pts be penalized because there are 500,000 cheaters out there?

"Medical safeguard" is just their totalitarian excuse to justify their control over us.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I certainly agree that there are people out there who scam the system, but I'm not one of them. This system assumes everyone is "guilty before being proven innocent."

I think patients should, at the very least in a situation like this, be informed by BOTH the healthcare system and the private chain pharmacies that all Rx are viewable by a particular healthcare system, including those Rx not prescribed by them.

I understand that there are scammers out there, and drug addicts, etc, but some of us simply want to protect our own privacy and control access to our own medical information.

There is no way that you can bypass this system

AND, how do I know that you are not one of those people who scam the system?

Everyone is treated equally

Old 09-16-2019, 03:10 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,866,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There is no way that you can bypass this system

AND, how do I know that you are not one of those people who scam the system?

Everyone is treated equally
Everyone is treated as suspect.

There's your freedom. /shrug/

Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM

7,142 posts, read 4,984,962 times
[quote=mike1003;56192361]My professional guess is that they looked at any controlled substances that you purchased....

quote]

Slippery slope.

We should hope that docs themselves, their nurses and hopefully clerical staff exercise some modicum of professional ethics when dealing with pts' histories....But how sure are we that large chain, retail outlets, for instance, that have access to that computerized record have adequately screened & trained non-professionals like part-time help still in high for that same professionalism?

We won't even get into the problem of computer hackers.

There's absolutely no need for med records to be put in a position where they can be obtained in some setting other than the docs' offices/hospitals without specific request & specific release.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Everyone is treated as suspect.

There's your freedom. /shrug/

No, suspects are suspects and the rest of us should care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness