Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 04:36 PM

111 posts, read 72,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This can protect you from medication interactions or from side effects if you have had a medication that you react badly to that is similar to another one. A lot of times people might not always remember every medication they are prescribed, particularly if it is an as needed medication that they might take once every few months.
Yeah, this to me is more important than the addict issue. If you're willing to list them then it shouldn't matter anyway, and this makes it easier for patients to avoid having to remember everything. I had strep a couple months ago, and I couldn't for the life of me tell you what they prescribed for me other than just that it was an antibiotic.

Not to mention, it avoids the issue of people listing what they thought the "important" prescriptions were, despite the fact that drug interactions can be complex and sometimes unexpected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 04:50 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,845,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
No, suspects are suspects and the rest of us should care less.
Would you like an employer to gain access to those Pharma records?

Old 09-16-2019, 05:14 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,175,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I ran into this issue this morning at a doctor's office (PCP) at a large healthcare system. I was in the office with the assistant, who does the blood pressure, etc., and she was reading off all the scrips I had filled recently at a local pharmacy. Some that she listed had been prescribed by my dentist, where I had some oral surgery a month ago. The dentist office has nothing to do with the healthcare system where I see the PCP.

I understand that doctors need to know all meds a patient is taking, but everything the doctors in a given health system have prescribed is already in their system. And I have to fill out a form prior to each app't listing everything I'm taking.

For a healthcare system doctor's office to be able to view all of a patient's past prescriptions online at a particular pharmacy, even if they weren't prescribed by that institution, just seems wrong to me. Too invasive, in my view. I didn't realize until today that doctors can view 3rd party pharmacy records online. The pharmacy is a separate business, in this case, part of a grocery store. What's next, the doctor's office viewing my grocery items at checkout?
Don't understand the outrage.....not even a little bit....

Why should it matter to you that your health care provider, your PCP, was able to access ALL of your prescriptions whether from THAT office or elsewhere???

Do you think that information should be hidden??? Who benefits from that?? Not you...

People have already outlined the rationale for why this type of accountability is a GOOD thing.

This isn't about a doctor's office being able to access your checking account or your employer being able to access medical records...

It's about your PCP having ALL relevant data regarding your health history...including recent medications prescribed anywhere....

Old 09-16-2019, 05:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,175,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
This thread isn't about that....not even a little bit....

Old 09-16-2019, 05:37 PM

22,855 posts, read 18,137,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I certainly agree that there are people out there who scam the system, but I'm not one of them. This system assumes everyone is "guilty before being proven innocent."

I think patients should, at the very least in a situation like this, be informed by BOTH the healthcare system and the private chain pharmacies that all Rx are viewable by a particular healthcare system, including those Rx not prescribed by them.

I understand that there are scammers out there, and drug addicts, etc, but some of us simply want to protect our own privacy and control access to our own medical information.
A couple of times a new provider and I would be discussing whether to try a new medication or not and prescription history came up. Looking through my history of past meds in the same classification prompted key questions about how those meds worked, didn't work, or whether I had had any adverse reactions. If one didn't work, why waste effort on another that might not either? If I had reactions, why tempt misery again? Morphine derivatives for example. A very good idea for me to avoid them entirely. I wouldn't necessarily be able to recall the dosage, exact formulation used before, but using a similar med would be counter indicated. A couple of chemotherapy medications I can't safely use again if a cancer recurs. I'd like my provider to see this history if I can't recall pertinent details from 20 years ago. I have nothing to hide from any health provider and I don't have a permanent photographic memory either. Privacy principle or not, it just doesn't worry me.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-16-2019 at 05:48 PM..

Old 09-16-2019, 06:37 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,945,126 times
Quote:

That's as likely to happen as it is for your pharmacy to access your employer records. It doesn't work like that at all, the two are not accessible to each other in any way, shape, or form.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,613,397 times
Quote:
Of course not.

I don't worry about it though, since it is against the law, unless I give the employer specific permission to see my medical records. https://www.localsolicitors.com/empl...nd-information

Call me when someone tries to change the law, and I promise I will get very agitated.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,214,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think this is a GOOD thing.

It helps to block people who visit several doctors in order to get multiple prescriptions for the same drug. This is a common behavior for people who are addicted to prescription drugs.
Doctors are getting alot of pressure this year to shorten those opioid prescriptions. They are writing weaker and shorter doses these days.

Some are even getting the licenses pulled, so I hear.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:13 PM

17,322 posts, read 13,057,451 times
Quote:

There is not a damn thing that we can do about it. The data (only controlled substances) is stored in a multi state database and that is the LAW!

Old 09-16-2019, 08:15 PM

3,318 posts, read 5,525,668 times
It's about time. Too many addicts and too many doctors over prescribing.

Hopefully, this will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness