Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 11:55 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

I ran into this issue this morning at a doctor's office (PCP) at a large healthcare system. I was in the office with the assistant, who does the blood pressure, etc., and she was reading off all the scrips I had filled recently at a local pharmacy. Some that she listed had been prescribed by my dentist, where I had some oral surgery a month ago. The dentist office has nothing to do with the healthcare system where I see the PCP.

I understand that doctors need to know all meds a patient is taking, but everything the doctors in a given health system have prescribed is already in their system. And I have to fill out a form prior to each app't listing everything I'm taking.

For a healthcare system doctor's office to be able to view all of a patient's past prescriptions online at a particular pharmacy, even if they weren't prescribed by that institution, just seems wrong to me. Too invasive, in my view. I didn't realize until today that doctors can view 3rd party pharmacy records online. The pharmacy is a separate business, in this case, part of a grocery store. What's next, the doctor's office viewing my grocery items at checkout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 12:02 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
I think this is a GOOD thing.

It helps to block people who visit several doctors in order to get multiple prescriptions for the same drug. This is a common behavior for people who are addicted to prescription drugs.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

It helps to block people who visit several doctors in order to get multiple prescriptions for the same drug. This is a common behavior for people who are addicted to prescription drugs.
That is an excellent point.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:18 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:

I certainly agree that there are people out there who scam the system, but I'm not one of them. This system assumes everyone is "guilty before being proven innocent."

I think patients should, at the very least in a situation like this, be informed by BOTH the healthcare system and the private chain pharmacies that all Rx are viewable by a particular healthcare system, including those Rx not prescribed by them.

I understand that there are scammers out there, and drug addicts, etc, but some of us simply want to protect our own privacy and control access to our own medical information.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I certainly agree that there are people out there who scam the system, but I'm not one of them. This system assumes everyone is "guilty before being proven innocent."

I think patients should, at the very least in a situation like this, be informed by BOTH the healthcare system and the private chain pharmacies that all Rx are viewable by a particular healthcare system.

I understand that there are scammers out there, and drug addicts, etc, but some of us simply want to protect our own privacy and control access to our own medical information.
Really? Do you not honestly inform any doctor you are visiting of your current medications? I'd love to know why not, IMO this is risky behavior, but maybe I'm missing something.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM

127 posts, read 61,359 times
Quote:

This right here!

Old 09-16-2019, 12:49 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
If insured you gave up any of your desire to be deemed "invading your privacy "amongst the providers of your medical needs.

True fact: if the doctor's where my mom was being treated took 30 seconds to see her current and past med alerts she wouldn't have died two months later. They prescribed a med that two years prior she was hospitalized for! Her reaction to that med caused her throat to swell and close. Lost oxygen and they put her on life support because some dufus didn't want to do a med history!! But I'm sure that couldn't possibly happen today ...because well humans now don't make mistakes or own up to em. Be grateful that you had one person cross referencing. .

Old 09-16-2019, 01:04 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Most of those releases you sign at the doctor’s offices cover they sharing of information and anything controlled is released to other health care providers under law in most cases. I know our electronic health system pulls in all controlled substances via our state’s mandatory reporting system so we can see if a patient was prescribed multiple opioids by different doctors etc. I think it’s a great thing for patient safety.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:24 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
I bought medical/dental insurance from a private insurance company 6 months ago and they had access to all my prescription records too. Even ones from a diet center!

Old 09-16-2019, 01:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
This can protect you from medication interactions or from side effects if you have had a medication that you react badly to that is similar to another one. A lot of times people might not always remember every medication they are prescribed, particularly if it is an as needed medication that they might take once every few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness