Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 04:45 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,855,178 times

Advertisements

The consent form is pretty pointless.

If you don't sign it? No treatment. So it's sort of extortion in a way. You're basically agreeing that if they hurt you, it's not their fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 05:08 PM

17,627 posts, read 15,321,679 times
The nurses and anesthetist asked me to tell them what procedure I was about to undergo -- I was about to have my first screening colonoscopy after procrastinating years. I answered, "well, I'd like to say I'm having a facelift and will look 20 yrs younger, but that's not the end you'll be working on...." Fortunately all of them, doc included, had an excellent sense of humor.

I don't recall reading the consent form in great detail before signing it; there was no question but that I was getting that procedure done and over with -- I was really nervous about anesthesia but everyone, including the doc & nurses, said I would love Propofol, calling it "the best 20 min nap you'll ever have." I must say, it was totally fine and I was so happy not to awaken in a drugged-out state. But it wasn't the best nap I ever had, as the best nap involved drooling into my pillow and waking up not knowing where I was or what time of day it was and no drugs were involved. That was a nap!

Old 09-18-2019, 03:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

If you don't sign it? No treatment. So it's sort of extortion in a way. You're basically agreeing that if they hurt you, it's not their fault.
Once again, you clearly don't understand the intent or purpose of a consent form...

By signing the form a patient indicates they have been informed of risks, benefits and alternatives for a given procedure or treatment and they are willing to go forward with that knowledge....that's it....

"Risks" could very well include unintended consequences or "harm" and the patient needs to be aware of these risks.

However, as has been stated several times already, you can't sign away "rights"....if harm occurs that is clearly outside of what would be considered accepted risks resulting from negligence, incompetence, whatever no consent form will protect a provider from being sued....

You also seem unclear on the term extortion....I suggest you research that term as well

Old 09-18-2019, 05:18 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,508,363 times
You are only hurting yourself by not taking an active part in reading & understanding them 100%.......

When you are first talking to the doctor, ask all your questions....then the RN will have you sign the consent. Pay attention to what it says....& we will ask you if you have any questions.....on our forms, there is a place where you sign & we do that it was gone over with you....but we can’t make you listen or read!!! Your signature says you did...

Old 09-18-2019, 05:27 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,508,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

You’re just agreeing that you are aware of common risks & results....& in elective surgeries...this is super important, because you may decide not to have it. You aren’t agreeing it’s not their fault tho....if you go in for a tonsillectomy & they remove your foot....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness