Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,541,354 times

Advertisements

Within the past month or two my right shoulder has throbbed with hot pain as if a burning coal had been placed inside it. It finally dawned on me to try a hot water bottle, and I ended up buying one of the old school rubber ones. I filled it with piping hot water and just laid it on my shoulder at work, refreshing it two or three times over the course of the night. It's been maybe a week and the pain is greatly diminished, though I seem to have actually burned my shoulder slightly without realizing it (I lay the bottle on my shoulder over my shirt and undershirt). Random gout attacks (that would have my foot feeling as if I'd stepped on a live mine and scotch-taped it back together) could've been lessened, probably, had I thought to use a hot water bottle but the gout pops up less nowadays and is nowhere near as bad (finds wood to knock on).

So yeah, hot water. Never occurred to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 05:12 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,606,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Within the past month or two my right shoulder has throbbed with hot pain as if a burning coal had been placed inside it. It finally dawned on me to try a hot water bottle, and I ended up buying one of the old school rubber ones. I filled it with piping hot water and just laid it on my shoulder at work, refreshing it two or three times over the course of the night. It's been maybe a week and the pain is greatly diminished, though I seem to have actually burned my shoulder slightly without realizing it (I lay the bottle on my shoulder over my shirt and undershirt). Random gout attacks (that would have my foot feeling as if I'd stepped on a live mine and scotch-taped it back together) could've been lessened, probably, had I thought to use a hot water bottle but the gout pops up less nowadays and is nowhere near as bad (finds wood to knock on).

So yeah, hot water. Never occurred to me.
They also have those hot/cool packs you can get. I have 2 and usually have one in the freezer and one I can pop in the microwave for heating. The benefit of that is that it tells you the maximum heat for each microwave wattage so you shouldn’t be able to burn yourself.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:44 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,244,988 times
Not surprising- when I was an adolescent I had agonizing menstrual cramps and the only thing that would settle them down was heat. (Well, they'd stop if I lay on my back and put my feet up over my head but that wasn't sustainable.) The heating pad was my friend. I had one of the microwaveable heat packs and it was great for pulled muscles, but at some point it broke and the little plastic beads got loose!

Glad you found an easy, inexpensive solution.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
They also have those hot/cool packs you can get. I have 2 and usually have one in the freezer and one I can pop in the microwave for heating. The benefit of that is that it tells you the maximum heat for each microwave wattage so you shouldn’t be able to burn yourself.
I actually didn't even notice I'd burned myself until I got this annoying itch on my shoulder and took a close look at it. That water bottle feels great, though. Pain is still there but nowhere near as bad.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Not surprising- when I was an adolescent I had agonizing menstrual cramps and the only thing that would settle them down was heat. (Well, they'd stop if I lay on my back and put my feet up over my head but that wasn't sustainable.) The heating pad was my friend. I had one of the microwaveable heat packs and it was great for pulled muscles, but at some point it broke and the little plastic beads got loose!

Glad you found an easy, inexpensive solution.
Sounds like you had a more high tech one. I'll have to look into that.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:45 PM

6,063 posts, read 4,420,928 times
They sell those ThermaWraps that you stick on and I used to use them when I fell ice skating. Heat really can be better than drugs sometimes.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
They sell those ThermaWraps that you stick on and I used to use them when I fell ice skating. Heat really can be better than drugs sometimes.
Agreed. I don't like having to pop painkillers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness