Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:25 PM

13 posts, read 6,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am not telling you to tell them they will grow out of it. I was telling you. Your case of adult acne sounds horrible and I am sorry for what you have gone through. But I think you might be an exception and not the rule.

I have had acne on my chin up until menopause but nothing horrible. Just a pain in the butt.

Me, I'm okay with my acne. But it took decades for me to feel okay it. I don't want my girls going decades being insecure. My 69 year old mother, she's wrinkled, age spots, and she has chin and jaw acne. She's happy. I'm happy. My sister is happy. I want my daughters to be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I’m not doubting they are upset with their acne, but remember at age 13 the angst is five feet deep no matter what. My mother had 3 girls in four years. No wonder she died young.

Make sure they are NOT touching their faces constantly.
I'm sorry for you lost.

I have tried to teach my girls good skin habits, including not constantly touching their faces.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:33 PM

2,068 posts, read 994,042 times
My daughter's acne has been attributed to allergic reactions to various foods - peanut butter, soy, flour, etc. Perhaps a similar cause can be found in your daughter's case.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
My daughter's acne has been attributed to allergic reactions to various foods - peanut butter, soy, flour, etc. Perhaps a similar cause can be found in your daughter's case.
I had my older daughter tested for that already and it wasn't an allergy. I will have my younger daughter tested for that.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:10 PM

7,515 posts, read 11,328,316 times
Buy them some cotton balls and Sea Breeze for oily skin. Also wash their pillow covers twice a week.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:23 AM

218 posts, read 212,204 times
You need to be very careful with the Accutane. I was on it and let me tell you that stuff is not joke. I shook off the doctors suggestions of side effects just like any other high school kid that felt bulletproof. All I cared about was that the acne was gone. Her pores are going to ultra shrink all over her body, mostly shoulders up which will shed layers and layers of skin. So, a quality moisturizer is important, 2 or more times a day.

After coming off of it up to a year or so, I was constantly on edge and had heavy anxiety. I occasionally get pimples here and there, but nothing major at all. It did it's job but I spent a good deal of time afterwards rebuilding myself as a human being. I hope that isn't an issue for your daughter. Just in case, please don't turn to antidepressants or anxiety meds, EVER! I flushed them down the toilet after a few months and was strong enough to move forward in a positive direction on my own.

1) Lots of water on a daily basis.
2) Wash and moisturize daily with WATER BASED products (CeraVe)
3) Do what you have to, to promote a healthy and happy lifestyle.
4) Be aware of side effects and have a plan to deal with them appropriately if they arise.

PM me if you have any questions, here to help!

Old 09-21-2019, 10:49 AM

289 posts, read 488,325 times
My son had acne pretty badly, and I can imagine how it would affect a girl’s self image. You’ll never guess what cleared it up... using a colloidal silver soap bar we ordered from amazon. He used it twice a day, with a clean washcloth each time. I don’t know if this might help your daughter, but you might want to try it (goes into the won’t hurt, might help category). Silver is known for being antibacterial with low toxicity.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:49 AM

9,807 posts, read 7,638,556 times
OP, I think your main question is how to help them emotionally. I would just stress the fact that everyone has "something" and thank God they are healthy and smart and beautiful and not struggling with a serious physical or mental disease.

My own girls rarely had any pimples, if any of us had any skin issues, we would dab rubbing alcohol on the spot. You can feel it cleaning and drying it up. It's a well used staple in all our homes. We also avoid dairy, we all have trouble with it. A few family members had bad eczema until they gave up milk.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:11 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,498,108 times
Some allergies can result in acne. Allergy Associates in Lacrosse, Wisconsin helped turn my son's skin around. These days he only needs an OTC allergy med during hay fever season. The drop treatments & appointment cost less than the travel to the cllinic.

I would suggest trying that out in addition to the dermatologist.

&Yes, always compliment your children.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:58 PM

218 posts, read 212,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP, I think your main question is how to help them emotionally. I would just stress the fact that everyone has "something" and thank God they are healthy and smart and beautiful and not struggling with a serious physical or mental disease.

My own girls rarely had any pimples, if any of us had any skin issues, we would dab rubbing alcohol on the spot. You can feel it cleaning and drying it up. It's a well used staple in all our homes. We also avoid dairy, we all have trouble with it. A few family members had bad eczema until they gave up milk.
I would stick with a witch hazel as opposed to alcohol. If you are someone who has acne-prone skin, alcohol will dry it out and may keep the pore from producing short term but will eventually lead to irritation causing more acne. Eliminating or reducing dairy is a great suggestion. The level of hormones could be a significant contributing factor.

Prior to using Accutane, I tried almost every treatment on the market (Minocycline, Tetracycline, Benzoyl Peroxide prescription level, etc.). By the end, I actually considered changing my college major and getting an MD in Dermatology after going through hell dealing with cystic acne on my back and chest. Like KaraG suggested, many of the flair ups will be caused by things your children take in. For a more holistic approach, consider incorporating vitamins such as Zinc, Niacin (flush-free), and Vitamin E.

As for her mood, there isn't much you can do as this is a medication that unfortunately has a strong effect on behavior. Consider getting her involved in more activities at school around people. When my acne began to clear up, people noticed offering compliments to my skin. Something like that does make you feel good about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness