Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 8,573 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Back in July I became sick with nausea and vomiting. After a week it went away but came back late August. After an emergency room visit and two urgent care visits, nobody seems to know what's wrong. I've since had a endoscopy that seems OK and am waiting for results from an ultrasound. Meanwhile, my gastro doctor says he is waiting to talk to me if the results come back with a finding. Otherwise, my appointment with him is in October.

Meanwhile, I am retching every morning, sometimes for two hours. I start to feel better around noon until 5. Then I try to eat soup and sometimes feel nauseated at night. I've tried to medicate myself using prilosec, gaviscon and ginger pills but nothing has helped significantly. Meanwhile, I am becoming anxious because I am pretty much only eating 1 can of soup and drinking 30 ounces of water a day. This morning I am trying to eat a banana but after a few bites, I am nauseous.

I don't have any pain except if I retch too long.

Any thoughts on what this might be or what I can do to feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 11:50 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,567,859 times
How old are you? Any chance of pregnancy? I would suspect it’s a stomach acid issue and maybe you need prescription strength antacids.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 8,573 times
I'm 43 years old and no chance of pregnancy. Have you had this issue?

Old 09-20-2019, 12:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,758,890 times
I had that problem for about two years. I thought it was a medication side effect. I stopped the medication and the nausea continued. I didn't figure out what was going on until I started getting hives every time i vomited. Then I realized I'd become allergic to some of the foods I ate all the time. The weird thing is that I gained a lot of weight while barely being able to eat.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:18 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,596,683 times
Gallstones? I have a friend who had similar symptoms for two years and I don’t think she had classic right-sided pain. She mostly just had phases where she would just vomit. She was diagnosed with gastritis, but the Prilosec didn’t help the vomiting because it was the gallstones, not acid. I think she also checked for food sensitivities/allergies.

Keep in mind that if you are on something like Prilosec or Protonix, it can take a while for it to really start working- a month or even two months. I did about 4 months on a combo of the two for my issue to really calm down (with 3 months of prescription strength) because I would just wake up at about 12-1am feeling like acid was up to my throat. I’d then have to go chew some Gaviscon to keep it down for the rest of the night.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:35 AM

7,143 posts, read 4,988,309 times
If nothing is found by the GI work up, check neuro- and endocrine problems.

Nausea/with or without vomiting, lethargy and wt loss are classic for Addison's Dis.... Pituitary or ovarian tumors can cause nausea, etc etc

Old 09-21-2019, 07:03 AM

6,052 posts, read 4,410,054 times
Gall bladder, though they should find that at an ER visit.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:46 AM

2,245 posts, read 1,640,478 times
Definitely have your gall bladder checked. I had an elderly relative in the ER 4 times and they never tested her for that, probably because she always came back positive for a UTI.

Finally a young doctor who was there on the weekend shift caught it. This was in a university hospital so we were pretty stunned it had not been diagnosed earlier.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:38 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,567,859 times
I had that issue a few times...pregnancy, gall stones, kidney stones and when I had severe reflux in my early 20s/late teens (probably due to poor diet with that one). I would definitely get it checked out. Protonix helped when it was acid and is prescribed frequently I think

Old 09-23-2019, 09:41 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,204,194 times
Gastroparesis? You could have an emptying test done. Otherwise reflux or LPR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness