Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 03:52 PM

24 posts, read 14,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And how do you propose they solve that? The transplant team needs a firm answer (either a yes or a no) before the organs deteriorate to the point where they become useless for transplant. And they can't just "try another patient"; there aren't enough donors as it is to provide all the organs needed for every patient who could benefit from a transplant to get one.
Well, the first time he said he would like to be left alone. That's seems like a pretty clear answer to be. There's nothing to doubt.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,138,016 times
I know it's completely unethical but wouldn't it be cosmic-ly great if after patients needing a transplant were ranked based on need they were also ranked based on their willingness to donate? Strict non-donors at the bottom of the list?

Old 09-20-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I know it's completely unethical but wouldn't it be cosmic-ly great if after patients needing a transplant were ranked based on need they were also ranked based on their willingness to donate? Strict non-donors at the bottom of the list?
I would not oppose that.

As long as you have money, there are always doctors willing to treat you. Ethics don't even come into play.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:02 PM

15,793 posts, read 21,305,567 times
I spent last night at the home of one of my dearest friends who received a kidney donation when she was a teenager. She went on dialysis when she was 14 and waited for 3 years for a transplant, missing school and generally having a completely disrupted life because of it. If the mother of her donor - a young man who died in a motorcycle accident - had pulled a hissy fit because the organ transplant team was trying to get an answer from her then my friend would have died before she hit her 20s.

I have no respect for people who are not organ donors. I won't date them, I wouldn't hire them if I knew, and my friendship ends with them if I learn they choose not to be donors. Full stop. End of conversation.

One of the hardest things for me when I was diagnosed with cancer was learning that I would never be able to donate my organs because of the lymphoma, even now 8 years in remission. The only thing I can give is my corneas, which I do gladly.

It's a shame there's nothing legally binding that would prevent those who choose not to be listed as an organ donor from receiving an organ themselves. It's exceptionally easy to say you wouldn't take an organ when you're at no real risk yourself.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:07 PM

22,901 posts, read 18,196,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisclosedFeature View Post
If they have a certain deadline they have to make and haven't got an answer, it's up to them to solve that and maybe try another patient.

My friend just wanted to be left in peace in his mother's final hours. The team's timeframes were none of his business.
None of us here were present. All we have is YOUR pretty biased account. We didn't hear the transplant team's conversation and didn't observe their demeanor. Your friend was also emotional and touchy for understandable reasons too. Your attitude and assumptions are going to be the main reasons people will give you a hard time about not donating your organs. Most people accept that you have the right to decide this for yourself. You do not have the right to accuse, libel or slander others while doing so.

15,793 posts, read 21,305,567 times
Quote:
I would not oppose that.

As long as you have money, there are always doctors willing to treat you. Ethics don't even come into play.

Do you think the organ donation fairy comes down from the sky and creates organs for those who need them? Short of having the kind of money where you can hire a hitman to track down organs, money isn't going to help.

There are far more people in need of donations than there are organs available, money or not. There is a 3 to 5 year wait for a kidney, 6 month wait for lungs, and close to a year wait for a liver. Many people die waiting.

I know of two people waiting for kidney transplants at work - both in their 20s. One has been waiting for 4 years, the other 2. It is extremely expensive, disruptive enough to make it incredibly difficult to work, not to mention uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have no respect for people who are not organ donors. I won't date them, I wouldn't hire them if I knew, and my friendship ends with them if I learn they choose not to be donors. Full stop. End of conversation.
No dispute from me. It's your right to do so.

Quote:
It's a shame there's nothing legally binding that would prevent those who choose not to be listed as an organ donor from receiving an organ themselves. It's exceptionally easy to say you wouldn't take an organ when you're at no real risk yourself.
Can't speak for others but I have it written in my living will along the other DNR instructions. No measures should be taken to prevent a natural death in my case and I made sure transplants were specifically mentioned.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Do you think the organ donation fairy comes down from the sky and creates organs for those who need them? Short of having the kind of money where you can hire a hitman to track down organs, money isn't going to help.

There are far more people in need of donations than there are organs available, money or not. There is a 3 to 5 year wait for a kidney, 6 month wait for lungs, and close to a year wait for a liver. Many people die waiting.

I wasn't talking about transplants there, I was talking about general healthcare.

As long as you present them a big fat check, doctors couldn't care less about you being a non donor. It's irrelevant to them.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:12 PM

22,901 posts, read 18,196,061 times
Quote:
Well, the first time he said he would like to be left alone. That's seems like a pretty clear answer to be. There's nothing to doubt.
In your OP you wrote that he said "he'd think about it". That's not definitive at all. It implies indecision and possibly doubt. Now you're changing the dialog to support your argument. Backtracking a bit are we?

Old 09-20-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
In your OP you wrote that he said "he'd think about it" . That's not definitive at all. Now you're changing the dialog. Backtracking a bit are we?
Yes, he said he would like to be left alone for the time being and he would only decide after her death. That should have been clear.

They came back 2 or 3 times to pressure him while she was still alive and then one final time when she passed away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness