Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 06:11 AM

79 posts, read 50,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m in California and never heard of this. I’ve tried to find the website and can’t. Do you know what website it is that allows you to opt out?

Why am I not surprised that California would do something like this.

Try this:

https://register.donatelifecalifornia.org/remove/login

Old 09-22-2019, 06:36 AM

18,878 posts, read 14,069,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There is also a tremendous financial incentive to get people to donate their bodies.

The organ donor / family receives nothing.
The reason that money cannot change hands is incentive . . . or lack thereof to engage in illicit organ harvesting.
Of course, if the hospital and or surgeon is willing to go rogue - - -

Old 09-22-2019, 07:14 AM

15,202 posts, read 10,210,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Unfortunately, this is what it comes down to.

Organ donors are caring and generous individuals who have no idea what sort of a racket they potentially will get into. There is BIG money in donated organs. But their families won't see any of it. If it were not so lucrative, they wouldn't be trying so hard. If it were not so lucrative, there would be no Planned Parenthood (it's not about womens' rights, it's about the organs and the $$$). Communist China loves to harvest organs from dissidents and prisoners, and sees a future of profitable transplant tourism.

The advertising and the promotions don't disclose what a booming business this is!
What do you want to bet organ donations would increase dramatically if the donors' families were paid?

Old 09-22-2019, 07:41 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,879,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
I have to agree. People today just follow the crowd and don't question anything. If you don't think big money is not involved in all of this, you need to do your research. If you know who will be getting the organ, fine. If not, you might want to think twice.
Why do you think the Red Cross begs for blood after any and every event?

They SELL it. They PROFIT from it. It doesn't get put aside to help those people in that specific event. They sell it, folks.

AND people would be surprised how many makeup manufacturers are involved in buying donated tissues.

Think Uncle Bob's parts are helping someone live a better life? Nah, they are being used to create a new lipstick or body cream.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:09 AM

15,243 posts, read 12,859,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m in California and never heard of this. I’ve tried to find the website and can’t. Do you know what website it is that allows you to opt out?

Why am I not surprised that California would do something like this.
What you have to do to avoid being used for spare parts is fill out California's new Advanced Health Care Directive form. And make sure your loved ones are briefed about your wishes.

My California driver's license has expired (yay!) and I'm an Arizona resident now, so I don't have to do any of this. Arizona still requires one to sign up with the MVD to be an organ donor.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:14 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,765,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What you have to do to avoid being used for spare parts is fill out California's new Advanced Health Care Directive form. And make sure your loved ones are briefed about your wishes.

My California driver's license has expired (yay!) and I'm an Arizona resident now, so I don't have to do any of this. Arizona still requires one to sign up with the MVD to be an organ donor.
Is that true? Your loved ones can't decide for you, if you were suddenly in a car wreck or some other incident that immediately caused you to be unable to make a decision, and then the decision was made to take you off life support?

If you hadn't signed up with the MVD before your accident, you wouldn't be able to donate your organs on the consent of your next of kin?

I'm struggling to believe that, but again, Arizona doesn't always seem predictable.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Here ya go, Fluffy. Not so fast. Apparently, if you expressly wish NOT to be an organ donor, you need to make that clear through legal documents. You can't just sort of avoid the question by not signing up with the MVD.

So now I guess you'll need to spend the week making sure you want to take your stuff to the grave, if that's what you actually do wish.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...r-arizona.html

Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 AM

15,243 posts, read 12,859,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here ya go, Fluffy. Not so fast. Apparently, if you expressly wish NOT to be an organ donor, you need to make that clear through legal documents. You can't just sort of avoid the question by not signing up with the MVD.
When I sign up with a new health care provider, hopefully soon, they will register an ACHD for me. My old one in California had an ACHD for me but now of course that is out of date.

What is it with all the gleeful ghouls on this thread?

Old 09-22-2019, 09:20 AM

10,284 posts, read 13,800,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
It is your body, your choice however I think it’s incredibly selfish to do so. If I have a few hours of suffering but someone else gets a heart so they can live then it’s not a big deal to me. Or if they want to use my body for research or whatever. I won’t need it when I’m dead. Of course here in the states they also don’t deny you pain meds for being a donor anyways. Again to each their own...but I hope I have a donor should I ever need a transplant.
I agree. If you don't need the organs anymore someone else should have them. My ex fiancee's mom had the most ridiculous reason. She wanted to go to heaven whole. Even more ironic considering the despicable person she was.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
When I sign up with a new health care provider, hopefully soon, they will register an ACHD for me. My old one in California had an ACHD for me but now of course that is out of date.

What is it with all the gleeful ghouls on this thread?
I don't know anyone who is a gleeful ghoul - I just see people who are happily using the powers they have to deny sharing - what they don't need - with others who are greatly in need.

Tantamount, IMHO, to drinking your fill of bottled water in front of people on a trail who are parched and have lost their way, and when you're hydrated, pouring out the rest of the water onto the sand in front of them, because one in the crowd didn't ask politely enough for your help.

Now, let's talk about gleeful ghouls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.