Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 12:18 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,530,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Yes, I am.
Your's is shameful behaviour. You, not the people who decide not to donate. Bullying is never admirable.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m in California and never heard of this. I’ve tried to find the website and can’t. Do you know what website it is that allows you to opt out?

Why am I not surprised that California would do something like this.

https://www.ccsls.org/2019/01/17/new...rgan-donation/

-----------------------------

Old 09-22-2019, 12:33 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,183,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Wow, you quoted that poster as saying something that they didn't say, at all. What they did say was this.......

"Originally Posted by TwoByFour
to be so desperate for a few years of life that we are willing to butcher dead people for their organs."

You changed what they actually did say to suit you, which is dishonest at best. It changed the whole meaning of their sentence.
Maybe you should try a little reading comprehension

I didn’t misquote the poster I replied to but nice try

Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisclosedFeature View Post
I'm registered in my country's national database of non organ donors. Don't know how it works in the US but here you are always considered a potential donor unless you formally declare otherwise (by signing a document and joining this database). Of course even when you are not in this registry, your family can still refuse to allow it.

The mother of a friend of mine died in hospital and when it became apparent death was imminent, members of the transplant team showed up like vultures to start putting pressure on the issue. He told them he wanted to accompany his mother in peace in her final hours and then he'd think about it. They just kept coming back.

He noticed his mother was refused pain medication in her final hours as well, certainly to speed up death. When she finally died, the transplant team showed up 5 minutes later requesting his permission.

He found it so blatantly disrespectful that he showed them the middle finger and said they wouldn't use a single skin cell from his mother.

It's not like I touch this topic regularly with people around me but everytime I did I was rebuked by some of them, even when I explained my reasons.

P.S. Of course I would not require a transplant myself if I needed it. If a family member wanted to it, though, I would support them 100%.
The reason they show up “like vultures” is because there is a very limited amount of time they can harvest the organs where they can be used on another person once that person is medically deceased/or a functioning body no brain activity. I’m a registered donor. Truthfully once I’m dead and my organs can help another person survive or better their life fine by me. My wife knows my wishes and wholeheartedly agrees. What someone else does with their body is their personal choice. I don’t judge them so I expect them not to judge me

Old 09-22-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And if donors are possibly eased out of life a little earlier (I don't think they are) rather than being allowed to remain in a vegetative state,
Doing this is immoral.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:56 PM

50,191 posts, read 35,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisclosedFeature View Post
I'm registered in my country's national database of non organ donors. Don't know how it works in the US but here you are always considered a potential donor unless you formally declare otherwise (by signing a document and joining this database). Of course even when you are not in this registry, your family can still refuse to allow it.

The mother of a friend of mine died in hospital and when it became apparent death was imminent, members of the transplant team showed up like vultures to start putting pressure on the issue. He told them he wanted to accompany his mother in peace in her final hours and then he'd think about it. They just kept coming back.

He noticed his mother was refused pain medication in her final hours as well, certainly to speed up death. When she finally died, the transplant team showed up 5 minutes later requesting his permission.

He found it so blatantly disrespectful that he showed them the middle finger and said they wouldn't use a single skin cell from his mother.

It's not like I touch this topic regularly with people around me but everytime I did I was rebuked by some of them, even when I explained my reasons.

P.S. Of course I would not require a transplant myself if I needed it. If a family member wanted to it, though, I would support them 100%.

Who said it's unacceptable? Less than one third of Americans are registered organ donors. You're part of the majority.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Maybe you should try a little reading comprehension

I didn’t misquote the poster I replied to but nice try

You most certainly did. Tell the truth now. You added "at the end of their lives" which wasn't in the original. I included both the original post, and yours so all could see the difference. They are NOT the same. If you are going to quote someone it should be exactly the same. Copy, and paste.

Here it is again, shorter so you can see they are NOT the same.

Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
"they aren't "tacking a few years on to the end of their lives""

"Originally Posted by TwoByFour
to be so desperate for a few years of life"

Last edited by mlulu23; 09-22-2019 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,387,288 times
As long as you agree that you will never be an organ acceptor, then I am ok with you choosing not to be an organ donor.

But it is still a sad choice, to me.

My mother not only was an organ donor, but donated her body to a local medical school for research on her type of disease and whatever they needed. What a great thing. They returned her ashes to us in the end.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:19 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,862,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm still using my body parts, thanks.

When I'm done using them, you're certainly welcome to them.

No one is saying, when you get on the organ donor registry, that they will be taken from you while you're alive and well. Although, you certainly could make the decision to donate things you have spare - kidney, bone marrow, etc., if that's your decision.

NewToVenice - people are NOT KILLED for their body parts in the US.

And if donors are possibly eased out of life a little earlier (I don't think they are) rather than being allowed to remain in a vegetative state, and the decision was made by the person chosen by the dying family member, I'll take that, thank you. When I'm dying, let me go, please.
Along those lines, when you received an inheritance, do you give it all of it away to others who have less than you? Because well, it is really selfish since you have no need for it, to keep it.

And yes: people could be killed very easily for organ donation. If someone is in a coma and a VIP comes in desperately needing an organ ... and the coma patient is a *nobody* .... all of a sudden ... well, that coma patient is now being viewed as a potential organ donor.

There are many ways the system could be abused.

So, no, you do not get to decide for me what happens to my remains. Just like you do not get to decide for me who I leave my inheritance to. Same exact issue.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:20 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,862,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
As long as you agree that you will never be an organ acceptor, then I am ok with you choosing not to be an organ donor.

But it is still a sad choice, to me.

My mother not only was an organ donor, but donated her body to a local medical school for research on her type of disease and whatever they needed. What a great thing. They returned her ashes to us in the end.
Who decides who does not get an organ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness