Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 04:11 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,622,417 times

Advertisements

I am a registered organ donor and have been since I first got my driver's license. I recently found out I am going to need cornea transplants or face going blind. Due to the availability of cadaver corneas I won't ever have to worry about that. And health insurance covers most of the cost and I will not have to take anti-rejection meds, except for steroid drops for a few months. Which is a small inconvenience to prevent going blind. So, while the decision is up to each individual, I can't understand why anyone would refuse to help others, should something bad befall them. Just think of the people you love, would you want them to die prematurely or go blind or lose their quality of life or face daily dialysis because people refuse to be organ donors?

Old 09-22-2019, 04:24 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,232,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBierstadt View Post
Thank you!

Old 09-22-2019, 04:41 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,840,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I am a registered organ donor and have been since I first got my driver's license. I recently found out I am going to need cornea transplants or face going blind. Due to the availability of cadaver corneas I won't ever have to worry about that. And health insurance covers most of the cost and I will not have to take anti-rejection meds, except for steroid drops for a few months. Which is a small inconvenience to prevent going blind. So, while the decision is up to each individual, I can't understand why anyone would refuse to help others, should something bad befall them. Just think of the people you love, would you want them to die prematurely or go blind or lose their quality of life or face daily dialysis because people refuse to be organ donors?
There is no guarantee that the organs go to "help" anyone.

Many biotech, medical research and cosmetic companies buy the parts to further their own profiteering goals.

How would you feel if a for profit company bought your organs and your parts were used to create makeup or body creams? Would you have a problem with that? Or is that OK?

You don't get to "pick" where your body parts go.

I'd be fine donating my organs if I could sell them. My heirs could get the profit, instead of the middlemen and profiteers.

But that's not an option. /shrug/

Old 09-22-2019, 05:31 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,172,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
You most certainly did. Tell the truth now. You added "at the end of their lives" which wasn't in the original. I included both the original post, and yours so all could see the difference. They are NOT the same. If you are going to quote someone it should be exactly the same. Copy, and paste.

Here it is again, shorter so you can see they are NOT the same.

Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
"they aren't "tacking a few years on to the end of their lives""

"Originally Posted by TwoByFour
to be so desperate for a few years of life"
Here is your reading comprehension tidbit of the day

IF I were "quoting" the OP I was responding to, I would have done that....ie QUOTED that person...

Since I did NOT "quote" the OP I was responding and instead made a point based off what they said there was no "misquote" or "intent to deceive" or whatever YOU are reading into the post....

Nice try at obfuscation though....can't attack the point so attack the poster ad hominem....Failed....but nice try regardless

Old 09-22-2019, 05:34 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,172,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Along those lines, when you received an inheritance, do you give it all of it away to others who have less than you? Because well, it is really selfish since you have no need for it, to keep it.

And yes: people could be killed very easily for organ donation. If someone is in a coma and a VIP comes in desperately needing an organ ... and the coma patient is a *nobody* .... all of a sudden ... well, that coma patient is now being viewed as a potential organ donor.

There are many ways the system could be abused.

So, no, you do not get to decide for me what happens to my remains. Just like you do not get to decide for me who I leave my inheritance to. Same exact issue.
What a complete and utter lack of understanding how the organ donation system works....

Do you really believe "fictional" movies and novels depict "real life"...just sad.....

Old 09-22-2019, 05:39 PM

4,961 posts, read 5,209,573 times
My neighbor's family went through this earlier this year. An 18 year old died as a result of a traffic accident. She was kept alive on machines for weeks. I don't know what all happened, but from comments I read, my interpretation is that the loved one should have been declared dead days before she was and possibly shortly after she was brought to the hospital. The neighbor has stated that the organ donation really opened her eyes and she has read up a lot and has considered no longer being a donor. I believe she felt the body was kept alive for the convenience of donation and the donation possibly delayed the funeral and extended the families grief.

I watched the video of the final journey through the hospital to the ambulance waiting to take her. It broke my heart. Organ donation seems like a good thing, but its the family who is affected. I can see why they wouldn't want to be put through that.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:09 PM

7,600 posts, read 4,500,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisclosedFeature View Post
Well, they should learn some manners first then.

My friend later told me that he was actually considering allowing the donation at first. But after such behaviour he could no longer accept it. He also made a formal complaint at the hospital.
I hope the hospital was able to better train their staff. The loss of someone is tough. There are many decisions to make and having a new one tossed in could certainly be traumatizing. I'm sorry this happened to your friend.

It's an unfortunate exchange for all parties. A missed opportunity to have a piece of a loved one live on. A missed opportunity to help someone else live a longer life. A missed opportunity to bring purpose and respect in a situation that is very hard.

It's understandable that one would be upset if they felt their loved one was being reduced to a series of spare parts. Just know that in the greater range of things, there's much more to the decision. I'm sorry your friend had such a bad experience.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:13 PM

14,185 posts, read 11,431,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
My neighbor's family went through this earlier this year. An 18 year old died as a result of a traffic accident. She was kept alive on machines for weeks. I don't know what all happened, but from comments I read, my interpretation is that the loved one should have been declared dead days before she was and possibly shortly after she was brought to the hospital. The neighbor has stated that the organ donation really opened her eyes and she has read up a lot and has considered no longer being a donor. I believe she felt the body was kept alive for the convenience of donation and the donation possibly delayed the funeral and extended the families grief.

I watched the video of the final journey through the hospital to the ambulance waiting to take her. It broke my heart. Organ donation seems like a good thing, but its the family who is affected. I can see why they wouldn't want to be put through that.
This story is suspect. It wouldn't take "weeks" to prepare either the donor or the recipient(s) for organ transplant.

My personal experience is completely the opposite; doctors suggested that a family member be taken off life support before the person who was responsible for making that decision (his wife) was ready. As far as I can tell, the doctors were completely correct that there was no hope of recovery, and keeping the body alive mechanically served no purpose, but the wife took a long time to become convinced and felt horribly guilty about "pulling the plug." Perhaps something like this was going on with your neighbor.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:31 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What a complete and utter lack of understanding how the organ donation system works....

Do you really believe "fictional" movies and novels depict "real life"...just sad.....
I know. Unbelievable, and he/she is posting this on a forum where others might believe it.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:32 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,008,193 times
I am currently an organ donor. But I wouldn't think any less of anyone who refused to be one.

I do think that that I should be allowed to sell my organs at my demise and the proceeds to go to my estate. Why? Because the hospitals are charging outrageous amounts of monies for these procedures anyway. So if they can profit from the transplant operations, why can't the donors also profit from it? And what estate couldn't use the proceeds to help pay for funeral expenses or death taxes???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness