Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 12:23 AM

1,159 posts, read 611,709 times

Advertisements

I guess I wouldn't mind it. Donating, i mean. My husband is totally against it for himself. Religious reasons I guess. But I don't think that the physical body really matters.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:41 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,038,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
That doesn't look right. It's not part of the DMV, doesn't link to the DMV, and it's not a government website. It looks more like a website designed to register people to donate their organs, even though the word "remove" is there.
Mike09 + SFBayBoomer, didnt see your replies until now but looks like you figured it out and validated my post.

https://donatelifecalifornia.org/

does say at the very bottom:
"Donate Life California is the state authorized organ and tissue registry for the State of California." and just above and to the left is a DMV badge as one of their sponsors.

If you go in to renew your license, you'll see the pop up screen with corroborating info. Like I stated in my post, all CA driver license applicants are donors by default now.

- and they ask for ss# too, you "crazy for immigration issues" people!

Old 09-23-2019, 03:21 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,036,902 times
My solution to the problem is simple: if you are not a registered organ donor for at least five years prior to needing an organ donation yourself, you go "to the back of the line", no matter if your needs are more dire than someone else. The exception to this would be children, whose own clock starts clicking at the age of majority (or maybe even earlier, with the consent of their parents). And maybe, if this new rule doesn't get enough people to sign up as organ donors, maybe if you're not a registered donor, you're not even allowed to go to the end of the line, maybe you are simply deemed ineligible for donation. Harsh? Sure, Harsh but Fair.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:26 AM

50,191 posts, read 35,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I believe this. Years ago I read on the internet that guests in hotels were being found in their bathtubs on ice with one of their their kidneys gone. At least the people doing this took precautions to make sure the donor lived.
Yes those are black market kidneys, but that’s totally outside the world of hospitals.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:20 AM

8,302 posts, read 3,876,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisclosedFeature View Post
Well, they should learn some manners first then.

My friend later told me that he was actually considering allowing the donation at first. But after such behaviour he could no longer accept it. He also made a formal complaint at the hospital.
I've never seen this happen. This has to be the exception, not the rule. Organ donation to me is a no-brainer. We can't let an unusual situation like this prevent us from doing the right thing.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:42 AM

663 posts, read 429,035 times
Default Support for age is not a deterant to donation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Could you please link to a website article that supports your statement?

I ask this because I have read numerous articles that state that old age is not a deterrent.
https://www.organdonor.gov/about/donors/seniors.html
"There's no age limit to donation or to signing up. People in their 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond have been both organ donors and organ transplant recipients. Below are some facts you should know about donation for people over age 50."

Old 09-23-2019, 05:48 AM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times
I have no use for my body parts after I’m dead, so if they could help someone else, that’s great.
If I had a family member who died and a part of them could live on in another person, I think that would give me comfort.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:50 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,862,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I've never seen this happen. This has to be the exception, not the rule. Organ donation to me is a no-brainer. We can't let an unusual situation like this prevent us from doing the right thing.
People only behave in such a horrendous manner when money is involved.

An article in fortune that shows the cost for the recipients.
https://fortune.com/2017/09/14/organ-transplant-cost/

Remove financial barriers to organ donation, experts say
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...0MX12U20150406

"“Every person in the chain of an organ donation, except one [the donor], profits,” said Daniel Salomon, an author of the paper and the medical director of the kidney and pancreas transplant program at Scripps Health in San Diego.

That “one” who doesn’t profit is the donor. According to the American Journal of Nephrology, living donors incur out-of-pocket expenses averaging $5,000. While a recipient’s insurance covers the donor’s medical expenses, it won’t cover transportation, lodging, childcare and lost wages.

And families of deceased donors may face higher hospital and funeral costs resulting from donation."

Last edited by newtovenice; 09-23-2019 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 08:21 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,189,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Organ donors are so scarce that recipients are screened VERY carefully. People are denied all the time. Those with a history of alcohol abuse and/or drug abuse are not eligible. You are mistaken if you think a confirmed lifelong alcoholic will get a liver transplant while a person with a genetic disease is passed over.
I guess that doesn't apply if you are rich. Look at Larry Hagman. Didn't he have two kidney or liver transplants even though he was an alcoholic?

Old 09-23-2019, 08:48 AM

88,128 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I believe this. Years ago I read on the internet that guests in hotels were being found in their bathtubs on ice with one of their their kidneys gone. At least the people doing this took precautions to make sure the donor lived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes those are black market kidneys, but that’s totally outside the world of hospitals.
Ha, I just recently bought a book on Urban Legends, and that's one of the first chapters.

There is no actual documented case anywhere of this ever having happened.

It couldn't. The person would not survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness