Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 09:18 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,996,029 times

Advertisements

Let me tell you this I would never be an organ donor . Because my sister had a paramedic bf once who told us that they were instructed by their superiors that if someone is an organ donor and they are in bad shape after a car accident move on to someone else and let the organ donor die I kid you not and he was stone cold sober when he told us this and he said never ever agree to be an organ donor . My grandma was sitting at the table and she made all of us promise not to do that for religious reasons . But I kid you not . That has stuck in my mind for years and years now . It seems my husband had heard the same thing as well about paramedics and being told to leave organ donors on the side of the road .

Old 09-23-2019, 10:00 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,628,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Let me tell you this I would never be an organ donor . Because my sister had a paramedic bf once who told us that they were instructed by their superiors that if someone is an organ donor and they are in bad shape after a car accident move on to someone else and let the organ donor die I kid you not and he was stone cold sober when he told us this and he said never ever agree to be an organ donor . My grandma was sitting at the table and she made all of us promise not to do that for religious reasons . But I kid you not . That has stuck in my mind for years and years now . It seems my husband had heard the same thing as well about paramedics and being told to leave organ donors on the side of the road .
Based on circulating emails and not true, according to Snopes:

[Collected via e-mail, December 2006]
I heard that having the pink organ donor ticket on your driver license will cause the Paramedics to allow you to die in order to harvest your organs. The rumor claims that due to the long list of people on the organ waiting list, the Paramedics are instructed to allow organ donors to die.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donor-demised/

Old 09-23-2019, 10:09 AM

50,339 posts, read 35,989,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I guess that doesn't apply if you are rich. Look at Larry Hagman. Didn't he have two kidney or liver transplants even though he was an alcoholic?
It's not correct. Most people who get liver transplants do have a history of alcoholism. You have to be clean and sober for a certain amount of time before they will put you on the list.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:26 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,879,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Based on circulating emails and not true, according to Snopes:

[Collected via e-mail, December 2006]
I heard that having the pink organ donor ticket on your driver license will cause the Paramedics to allow you to die in order to harvest your organs. The rumor claims that due to the long list of people on the organ waiting list, the Paramedics are instructed to allow organ donors to die.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donor-demised/
So Snopes contacted the posters sister and sister's BF to verify what they said?

Do "snopes" poll every paramedic in the country?

Snopes is garbage. It never proves-- or disproves -- anything.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:57 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,996,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So Snopes contacted the posters sister and sister's BF to verify what they said?

Do "snopes" poll every paramedic in the country?

Snopes is garbage. It never proves-- or disproves -- anything.

Thank you I was just repeating what I had heard and of course the conversation was upsetting my grandma and my mother so we cut it off . As for me and mine I will always believe when I hear it from the actual person aka paramedic .As money hungry as folks are these days I would not doubt that organ harvesting is big business .

Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,961,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
It is your body, your choice however I think it’s incredibly selfish to do so. If I have a few hours of suffering but someone else gets a heart so they can live then it’s not a big deal to me. Or if they want to use my body for research or whatever. I won’t need it when I’m dead. Of course here in the states they also don’t deny you pain meds for being a donor anyways. Again to each their own...but I hope I have a donor should I ever need a transplant.

Yeah...I don't know about that. I mean...you can think what you want of course, but it would be WRONG to deny someone pain medication, if needed. Selfish? Oh well. Call me selfish then. And somehow, I truly doubt you'd be down for suffering a few hours, if medication made you pain free.

It kind of makes me wonder what kind of pain you've ever actually experienced.

I don't know why, in OP's friend's case, the mother didn't have pain meds. Maybe so she'd be conscious to say her goodbyes?

Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 AM

1,153 posts, read 563,410 times
I think that it's your decision to make, and it's no-one's business whether you donate your organs or not.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:23 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,569,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yeah...I don't know about that. I mean...you can think what you want of course, but it would be WRONG to deny someone pain medication, if needed. Selfish? Oh well. Call me selfish then. And somehow, I truly doubt you'd be down for suffering a few hours, if medication made you pain free.

It kind of makes me wonder what kind of pain you've ever actually experienced.

I don't know why, in OP's friend's case, the mother didn't have pain meds. Maybe so she'd be conscious to say her goodbyes?
I’ve had tons of pain, unfortunately. I’ve had cancer and have crps. I’ve also had kidney stones, gall stones etc. I am currently in a pain management program for my crps and live with 7-8/10 pain daily so I get it and if it saves someone else’s life I will gladly suffer so that another can live. I choose not to take enough pain meds to be pain free due to risks that accompany them on a daily basis. In fact I’d hedge bets that many of us would be willing to suffer a few hours or even days of pain, especially if we’ve had loved ones rely on a transplant.

I also work for a healthcare system with hospice services and those patients are never denied meds in their final stages of life - donor or not. Nor is anyone in our healthcare system and I would believe most of the US to be this way. I have worked with multiple and I know none of them would. They have special exceptions for those patients even to allow for higher than usual dosing. If patients ask for no meds or less meds that wish is of course granted. If a patient wishes to have so many meds they float out of this world that is also done. In that stage of a patient’s life it’s all about quality of life and what that person wants. Sadly sometimes it’s what the family wants more than the patient which is why you need to have a legal document clearly outlining your wishes.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:09 PM

13,267 posts, read 8,368,517 times
The organs must be viable . Which in my case is not.
They must be harvested soon after declared dead.

It's not selfish for my being. My parts would fail in another being. From poor kidneys to a diseased heart. My eye sight is weak ...and let's face it most of us who might last til our golden years have medical challenges that lessen the organs or parts.

My sister is on a heart transplant list....she absolutely hates that someone has to die for her to live. She understands the grief a family endures to even donate.

I don't want someone else to be burdened with my diseased body...it's a curse...not a blessing for a recipient. I should know...I reside in it.

Nor do I want science to study it. Science has had billions of dollars to find the causes of things yet has not scratched the surface to find cures. Go work on solutions . Period.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:38 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,154,086 times
I still believe that it is an extremely selfish way to die, burying organs that would extend the life of others!

Your liver could save 2-3 people. Kidneys, 2. Heart,1. Skin, many

Very SELFISH, unless for religious reasons (and, most religions are now accepting organ donations)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.