Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 02:35 PM

35,508 posts, read 17,770,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisclosedFeature View Post
Well, they should learn some manners first then.

My friend later told me that he was actually considering allowing the donation at first. But after such behaviour he could no longer accept it. He also made a formal complaint at the hospital.
I can't tell you how very petty that seems.

I wonder what his mother's wishes would have been, had she been able to decide rather than her son who apparently is fine with allowing people to die if staff doesn't have polished bedside manners.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:35 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times
In red China thousands are involuntary live organ donors
In abortion clinics here we have the same
People should be allowed to leave with what they came with

Old 09-20-2019, 02:37 PM

24 posts, read 14,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or just not waste their time. They've got a limited number of hours to get the meat to the chop shop before it expires. Make a decision. If you don't want them standing around waiting to take mom to the chop shop, then tell them mom's not going to go to the chop shop. They're just going to stand around waiting until you make a decision one way or the other.
If they have a certain deadline they have to make and haven't got an answer, it's up to them to solve that and maybe try another patient.

My friend just wanted to be left in peace in his mother's final hours. The team's timeframes were none of his business.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:38 PM

11,142 posts, read 7,886,642 times
Quote:
Well, they should learn some manners first then.

My friend later told me that he was actually considering allowing the donation at first. But after such behaviour he could no longer accept it. He also made a formal complaint at the hospital.
I wonder how many people would complain if said organ was going to be used to save the life of a loved one?

Old 09-20-2019, 02:40 PM

The good thing about being a registered non donor is that your decision is always final and cannot be overruled by your family.

The opposite, as we know, is not always the case.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
The good thing about being a registered non donor is that your decision is always final and cannot be overruled by your family.

The opposite, as we know, is not always the case.
I have a strong feeling that this message will come to you again, but from the other side of the situation.

Often when we take a very callous approach to a situation, we get another chance to learn empathy later in life. And the second time is more painful and direct.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I have a strong feeling that this message will come to you again, but from the other side of the situation.

Often when we take a very callous approach, we get another chance to learn empathy. And the second time is more painful and direct.
I myself would obviously not accept a transplant.

If a family member or friend needed one and wanted to go ahead, I would support them all the way, being fully aware that such transplant might never take place. That's a risk that should be accepted when people decide to go ahead with a transplant.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I myself would obviously not accept a transplant.

If a family member or friend needed one and wanted to go ahead, I would support them all the way, being fully aware that such transplant might never take place. That's a risk that should be accepted when people decide to go ahead with a transplant.
All I have to say is, be very careful about insisting what you would not do, OP.

Until you've walked that path, you can't know.

Are you really young? Like, 25ish?

Old 09-20-2019, 02:49 PM

10,335 posts, read 7,916,036 times
Quote:
If they have a certain deadline they have to make and haven't got an answer, it's up to them to solve that and maybe try another patient.
And how do you propose they solve that? The transplant team needs a firm answer (either a yes or a no) before the organs deteriorate to the point where they become useless for transplant. And they can't just "try another patient"; there aren't enough donors as it is to provide all the organs needed for every patient who could benefit from a transplant to get one.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I wonder how many people would complain if said organ was going to be used to save the life of a loved one?
I wouldn't complain. People need to be pragmatic. If my mother or my one of my brothers needed a transplant and got one, it's great news. But I'm aware there's a great risk it would not happen.

The same happens to millions of people who get transplants and end up dying regardless. It's a risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.