Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 05:15 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,245,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
That's my story. Here's one from a co-worker. She had a lifelong friend who needed a kidney at an early age and she matched and agreed to donate. Due to whatever politics govern the program, they harvested her kidney (she was in her 30s) and it ended up not going to the person for whom it was intended. It went to the opposite end of the country, to a complete stranger. Imagine waking up in the hospital to hear that.
But did the friend get a kidney? There's an elaborate matching system that allows you to donate an organ that isn't a good match for your friend or relative but goes to someone for whom it IS a good match. In return, your friend or relative gets kicked up to the top of the list for an organ that's compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There is also a tremendous financial incentive to get people to donate their bodies.

The organ donor / family receives nothing. Not a penny. And the subsequent industry profits in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, some figures run up to a million dollars in profits off of 1 body. Transplants are not handed to those in need for free. And the rest is used for research to create devices, products, procedures and drugs to sell.

It's not the 100% altruistic industry that people think it is. just another POV.
Interesting thought. I live across the street from a heart transplant recipient- it's been a miracle for him. I personally have "cadaver" bone grafts in the 5 dental implants I've had so far. They can use fancy words but I know what "cadaver" means. The other side of the coin- I've donated blood and blood products for years although I've now been told I'm too old and too skinny to donate plasma, and I have a platelet level that's OK for me but not enough to donate. I'm working on my 7th gallon with the local blood bank- I have another appointment in 2 days.

The science geek in me is fascinated by the fact that they keep TRYING to make artificial versions of blood and organs but with little success. It takes humans. Yeah, the thoughts that I'm a profit center and all I get is free coffee and Nutter Butter cookies gives me pause- but if humans don't do this, people will die or spend their lives on dialysis or live with other forms of misery.

To each his/her own, though.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:16 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,248,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisclosedFeature View Post
I'm registered in my country's national database of non organ donors. Don't know how it works in the US but here you are always considered a potential donor unless you formally declare otherwise (by signing a document and joining this database). Of course even when you are not in this registry, your family can still refuse to allow it.

The mother of a friend of mine died in hospital and when it became apparent death was imminent, members of the transplant team showed up like vultures to start putting pressure on the issue. He told them he wanted to accompany his mother in peace in her final hours and then he'd think about it. They just kept coming back.

He noticed his mother was refused pain medication in her final hours as well, certainly to speed up death. When she finally died, the transplant team showed up 5 minutes later requesting his permission.

He found it so blatantly disrespectful that he showed them the middle finger and said they wouldn't use a single skin cell from his mother.

It's not like I touch this topic regularly with people around me but everytime I did I was rebuked by some of them, even when I explained my reasons.

P.S. Of course I would not require a transplant myself if I needed it. If a family member wanted to it, though, I would support them 100%.
I’m not sure anyone’s addressed this but I don’t think they were withholding pain medication to hasten death. However, pain medication can damage some organs (kidneys and liver) if large doses are taken. They may have been trying to prevent that, which doesn’t make it right.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:50 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,136,173 times
I'm an organ and tissue donor and would not hesitate to donate the organs of loved ones if put into that position, but I'm also a strong proponent of bodily autonomy, and I feel the decision to donate (or not) falls into that category. I think this is a decision for each individual to make based on their own religious, ethical and/or other beliefs and someone's choice to not donate should be respected.

Unfortunately, the supply of donated organs and tissues is far below the need, and for that reason, I am not averse to "opt out" or "default" programs as the OP and others describe, as long as it is generally accepted and well communicated that donation isn't compulsory.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:13 AM

15,202 posts, read 10,213,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I spent last night at the home of one of my dearest friends who received a kidney donation when she was a teenager. She went on dialysis when she was 14 and waited for 3 years for a transplant, missing school and generally having a completely disrupted life because of it. If the mother of her donor - a young man who died in a motorcycle accident - had pulled a hissy fit because the organ transplant team was trying to get an answer from her then my friend would have died before she hit her 20s.

I have no respect for people who are not organ donors. I won't date them, I wouldn't hire them if I knew, and my friendship ends with them if I learn they choose not to be donors. Full stop. End of conversation.

One of the hardest things for me when I was diagnosed with cancer was learning that I would never be able to donate my organs because of the lymphoma, even now 8 years in remission. The only thing I can give is my corneas, which I do gladly.

It's a shame there's nothing legally binding that would prevent those who choose not to be listed as an organ donor from receiving an organ themselves. It's exceptionally easy to say you wouldn't take an organ when you're at no real risk yourself.
You're going a little too far IMO. Some people don't donate for religious reasons. Are we supposed to tell them those reasons are invalid? If one of my kids' died I would have no problem donating their organs if it could save another life but not everyone shares my opinion. They have a right to their opinion and reason for it.

Like you, I can't be a donor anymore either. Two previous cancers and I'm 64. Don't the doctors stop wanting your organs at a certain age?

Old 09-21-2019, 08:37 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,309,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Oh, I don't think you need to worry about him. I see no evidence he feels "like crap" or could possibly be made to "feel guilty."
It sounds more cultural with a tinge of religion to me than callous.
I bet the OP grew up somewhere different than this country, potentially still overseas...
There are people here from all over the world- and from very different societies, traditions, consciousness and understandings.
We all need to be aware of that... especially when some of us want to just flood our country indiscriminately with people from all over - they bring their “ cultural” baggage with them...and it could affect our way of life...
Something to think about.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:38 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,309,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You're going a little too far IMO. Some people don't donate for religious reasons. Are we supposed to tell them those reasons are invalid? If one of my kids' died I would have no problem donating their organs if it could save another life but not everyone shares my opinion. They have a right to their opinion and reason for it.

Like you, I can't be a donor anymore either. Two previous cancers and I'm 64. Don't the doctors stop wanting your organs at a certain age?
I thought it is at 60?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:40 AM

4,006 posts, read 2,685,701 times
I can donate organs, but not blood or tissue (stationed in Europe during the Mad Cow disease time). As far as I'm concerned, when I die, take whatever's useful to somebody else and let 'em have it. I don't need it, so I'm not going to care. Whatever can't be used, do me up in one of those 'become a tree' thing. I like the thoughts of my remains becoming part of a tree after I die. Best of both worlds, in my opinion. Potentially-needed and possibly useful organs of mine don't go to waste, what can't be salvaged for another human being directly can go back to the living Earth and help perpetuate the life-cycle.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:12 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This seems a little akin to those crazy "get off my lawn" guys who call the local paper and cancel their newspaper subscriptions after an article they don't agree with gets published.

Donors are needed so badly, because very lovely and deserving people need organs others no longer need.

To make your decision based on the personalities of staff, or whatever perceived shortcoming made you decide not to save a life, is petty.

It's surprising - shocking, actually - that you think you might be on the organ transplant list some day and yet you made a very special effort to make sure your own organs aren't donated.

If I ran the system, people like that wouldn't be in line to receive an organ. You get what you give.
I consented to donation after my own child's death. And you?

Old 09-21-2019, 10:27 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This seems a little akin to those crazy "get off my lawn" guys who call the local paper and cancel their newspaper subscriptions after an article they don't agree with gets published.

Donors are needed so badly, because very lovely and deserving people need organs others no longer need.

To make your decision based on the personalities of staff, or whatever perceived shortcoming made you decide not to save a life, is petty.

It's surprising - shocking, actually - that you think you might be on the organ transplant list some day and yet you made a very special effort to make sure your own organs aren't donated.

If I ran the system, people like that wouldn't be in line to receive an organ. You get what you give.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I consented to donation after my own child's death. And you?
Now see, I am so over the social-justice guilt trips in our propagandized state of health care. I vaccinated to protect the stupid herd & have a 'coincidentally-vaccine-injured child' that requires 24/7 care while the rest of you go on about your lives.

I donated my child's eyes & you call me petty? By all accounts my kid & I should be damned national heroes but if I don't swear to just give more & more I'm the crazy one? GTFO. Yeah some of them are 'lovely' but most of them are asshats with substance abuse issues . Your turn.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:41 AM

21,760 posts, read 9,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisclosedFeature View Post
I'm registered in my country's national database of non organ donors. Don't know how it works in the US but here you are always considered a potential donor unless you formally declare otherwise (by signing a document and joining this database). Of course even when you are not in this registry, your family can still refuse to allow it.

The mother of a friend of mine died in hospital and when it became apparent death was imminent, members of the transplant team showed up like vultures to start putting pressure on the issue. He told them he wanted to accompany his mother in peace in her final hours and then he'd think about it. They just kept coming back.

He noticed his mother was refused pain medication in her final hours as well, certainly to speed up death. When she finally died, the transplant team showed up 5 minutes later requesting his permission.

He found it so blatantly disrespectful that he showed them the middle finger and said they wouldn't use a single skin cell from his mother.

It's not like I touch this topic regularly with people around me but everytime I did I was rebuked by some of them, even when I explained my reasons.

P.S. Of course I would not require a transplant myself if I needed it. If a family member wanted to it, though, I would support them 100%.

I find this to be very disturbing, actually. Curious what country this is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.