Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 11:24 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,095,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontforget View Post
But why would the strep show no symptoms?!

It is my understanding that strep throat is severe, causes fever and does not cause coughing or mucus???

I am so baffled!
Strep infections can be asymptomatic. You did have a sore throat, even for a day. My daughter has been positive for strep from a throat culture and she never had a sore throat or have fever. It can vary. Some people are carriers and can pass it to others, yet never have symptoms themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 11:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. What were your symptoms? I started my first dose of Z pack today. Curious though because everywhere ai kook ai cant find any i fo saying Strep causes chest congestion and cough. And why would my sore throat last a day and a half with Strep? Im so baffled!
Not Ruby Hill here, but from what I've read, Group A strep infection typically don't cause upper respiratory or chest congestion. Cough? Possibly, though what strep A does cause is "pharyngitis"- an intensely sore throat (I'd think it'd be too sore to cough much:). There may be white spots on the throat and around the tonsils, and some strains of strep (not all) may cause a fine generalized rash on the chest- that used to be called "scarlet fever".

Antibiotics are generally prescribed for Strep A infections. I read long ago that patients will recover from strep throat without antibiotics, but antibiotics will shorten the length of the infection and symptoms, and will generally prevent the development of complications such as rheumatic fever, or glomerulitis which can occur after strep infections. So antibiotics are advised.

Some people carry the Strep A bacteria-it colonizes the nasopharyngeal mucus membranes without causing problems in carriers. If they found Strep A in your throat, when you had symptoms such as nasal and chest congestion, coughing, it might be that you had a viral infection and the strep was just there, or I guess it's possible you had both strep throat and a viral respiratory crud. In any case, it probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to take a dose of antibiotics and get rid of the strep.

I had strep throat one time that I knew of, many years ago. The only symptom I had was a very sore throat that got worse and worse each day till I sought treatment for it about 10 days after onset. I never had a fever, so I assumed it must be a viral sore throat that would go away on its own, until I woke up one morning with breathing difficulties because my swollen throat was shutting off the pharynx and associated structures. I went to an Urgent Care Center where they tested for strep A (positive), though they said it looked like strep before they did the test, they gave me a shot of prednisone, and I think a shot of penicillin and a prescription, and told me to go to go home, go to bed and stay out of work for a week.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:03 PM

21,561 posts, read 9,180,607 times
If you have body aches, you likely have a fever although it may be low. When I have a 99 temp, I feel bad because my temp runs low normally. So while you might not be registering much of a temp, if you have body aches, that's fever symptom.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:51 PM

91 posts, read 57,695 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. What were your symptoms? I started my first dose of Z pack today. Curious though because everywhere ai kook ai cant find any i fo saying Strep causes chest congestion and cough. And why would my sore throat last a day and a half with Strep? Im so baffled!
It was 35 years ago & I honestly can't remember what symptoms I had. But from the other replies here, it looks like strep without a sore throat isn't all that rare - who knew?! Anyway, I hope you get feeling better soon! Get lots of rest & drink plenty of fluids.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:02 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,011,384 times
Quote:
But why would the strep show no symptoms?!

It is my understanding that strep throat is severe, causes fever and does not cause coughing or mucus???

I am so baffled!
I had chronic strep infections as a child; one year I was on antibiotics for 9 out of the 12 months. Became asymptomatic for strep at about age 12 & I couldn't tell you when I do, or do not; have strep.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:15 AM

12 posts, read 6,038 times
My throat culture came back negative, so I guess the rapid test was inaccurate!!!! What a joke

Old 09-23-2019, 10:16 AM

5,843 posts, read 11,832,516 times
Quote:
My throat culture came back negative, so I guess the rapid test was inaccurate!!!! What a joke
Good news/bad news right? Too bad you got a mis-diagnosis but good thing you don't have strep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness