Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:11 PM

12 posts, read 6,119 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am a 36 year old male. History of IBS, and Anxiety.

I had what I believed to be a cold.

These are my symptoms:

Thursday - sneezing. Congestion. Light sore throat/no fever

Friday - nasal congestion/sore throat/no fever/mild bodyaches

Saturday - chest congestion/cough

Went to get treated for cough related illness because I figured I had a bad viral infection.
Was tested for Strep A via rapid test because I previously had a sore throat.

Rapid Test for Strep A came back positive and was told that I have Strep A. I used to carry Strep G.

Dr. ordered a culture. Dr. Told me I need antiobiotics although very reluctant to take them because of IBS- D and dont want to take anything that could make it worse.

Again, todays main symptom is cough and chest congestion with mild nasal congestion. The cough is productive.

I dont even have a fever or a sore throat but I have Strep A? The doctor wasnt emphatic about my reluctance and concern for antibiotics, but I did take a loading dose of 500mg of Zithromax a few hours ago.

Any idea what could be going on? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 06:25 PM

91 posts, read 57,907 times
That happened to me years ago. I remember being absolutely shocked that I had strep because I had NO sore throat whatsoever. If it were me, I'd take the antibiotics & just take plenty of probiotics to try to reduce the side effects. Strep has the potential to be very serious.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Hill View Post
That happened to me years ago. I remember being absolutely shocked that I had strep because I had NO sore throat whatsoever. If it were me, I'd take the antibiotics & just take plenty of probiotics to try to reduce the side effects. Strep has the potential to be very serious.
Thanks for the reply. What were your symptoms? I started my first dose of Z pack today. Curious though because everywhere ai kook ai cant find any i fo saying Strep causes chest congestion and cough. And why would my sore throat last a day and a half with Strep? Im so baffled!

Old 09-21-2019, 07:06 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,585,084 times
I think the Z pack has been used TO treat IBS-D flares, so you might actually see some benefit from it. Who knows.

It is possible to have a virus and a bacteria at one time. It sounds like that is what happened to you. I have a friend who ended up with scarlet fever. You definitely don’t want that- it is a high fever and rash.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:18 PM

But why would the strep show no symptoms?!

It is my understanding that strep throat is severe, causes fever and does not cause coughing or mucus???

I am so baffled!

Old 09-21-2019, 07:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,585,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontforget View Post

It is my understanding that strep throat is severe, causes fever and does not cause coughing or mucus???

I am so baffled!
A cold causes coughing and mucus. You can have a cold and have strep at the same time. Adults tend to get milder strep than children, so you might have a mild sore throat from strep + other symptoms from a cold. That is why if you come in with symptoms of sore throat, they test for strep. It is contagious and they don’t want you to spread it to others, particularly children and babies who get it far worse than adults.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:57 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,849,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontforget View Post

I am so baffled!
We were just visiting my brother in law and his wife. Awhile back they went to the doctor - she had a severe sore throat and was sure it was strep. He had mild cold-like symptoms. He tested positive for strep and she did not. Maybe it manifests itself differently in everyone . In any case, he's another example of having it but not having the typical throat-on-fire symptoms.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A cold causes coughing and mucus. You can have a cold and have strep at the same time. Adults tend to get milder strep than children, so you might have a mild sore throat from strep + other symptoms from a cold. That is why if you come in with symptoms of sore throat, they test for strep. It is contagious and they don’t want you to spread it to others, particularly children and babies who get it far worse than adults.

Thanks! I didnt have a sore throat for more than a day? I thought strep lasts for 3-4 days alone! Other than congestion and cough I am fine and would have never guessed strep.

Regardless, should I risk continuing the z pack if Strep can go away without antibiotics?

Old 09-21-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We were just visiting my brother in law and his wife. Awhile back they went to the doctor - she had a severe sore throat and was sure it was strep. He had mild cold-like symptoms. He tested positive for strep and she did not. Maybe it manifests itself differently in everyone . In any case, he's another example of having it but not having the typical throat-on-fire symptoms.

Did he have a cough and mucus? Dr google says a cough is not caused by Strep

Old 09-22-2019, 12:27 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,958,803 times
Strep is a bacteria. Streptococcus to be specific.

There are many variants of it. Commonly, it infects the throat, but a strep infection in the lungs can lead to bacterial pneumonia.. In the eye, pink eye.. And so on.

Best advice? Listen to your doctor and not the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness