Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 06:15 AM

7 posts, read 3,351 times

Advertisements

I'm 26 and have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder since my teens. Apart from the psychological suffering, I've had almost all sorts of physical symptoms - headaches, nausea, dizziness, tremors, tachycardia, muscle pain, breathing difficulties and, of course, gastrointestinal issues. Did therapy for 3 years and meds (it was horrible) and it's a lost battle. It can only be solved with my death. But that's another story.

I always blame any physical symptom that I have on my anxiety. They are absolutely random, don't follow any particular pattern. They don't get worse or better, they just happen.

When it comes to my GI problems things have been getting seriously worse, though. My bowel movements alternate between two phases - the good and the bad.

The good one means that everything goes according plan, I don't feel any pain or discomfort. I go to the toilet when I have to, the business is done cleanly and I feel good afterwards.

The bad one means that I feel bloated and have pain in my lower abdomen. Even though it's not diarrhea, it's much less consistent and I might go to the toilet 4 or 5 times in a row. It still feels like the movement is never properly finished. I've also noticed that an huge amount of mucus comes out (sorry to disgust you).

Lately my stomach has also started to suffer, something that didn't happen before. I don't eat dairy, fried food, pork meat or elaborate sauces.

It came to a point where I think this can't just be anxiety. I booked an appoitment with a gastroenterologist and he agreed that even though anxiety surely plays a part, it looks like there could be an organic cause.

However, it all came crashing down when he said only a colonoscopy could help find the cause. I told him it was out of the question because it's too painful and invasive.

Has anyone been able to handle these issues without such horrific procedures?

Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 AM

713 posts, read 445,256 times
There is a test you can do at home called Cologuard. Google it and ask your doctor about it. However, if it comes out positive, then you have to do the colonoscopy.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
There is a test you can do at home called Cologuard. Google it and ask your doctor about it. However, if it comes out positive, then you have to do the colonoscopy.
Thanks. It won't help much, then.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:44 AM

7,144 posts, read 9,234,289 times
A colonoscopy is easy and painless. The worst part is the preparation.

The first step in the procedure is an iv drug that knocks you out in about 10 seconds. The next thing you will feel is waking up after it's all over. Twenty minutes later, you'll be out of there.

I've had this done twice; it's easy peasy!

Old 09-22-2019, 07:53 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,195,973 times
There is a procedure called a "Virtual Colonoscopy" you might want to check into. My MIL had one several years ago.

Visionary67 is correct though, the procedure is not a big deal, but the prep is. They put you under light sedation, so you feel kind of free floating and dreamy.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
A colonoscopy is easy and painless. The worst part is the preparation.

The first step in the procedure is an iv drug that knocks you out in about 10 seconds. The next thing you will feel is waking up after it's all over. Twenty minutes later, you'll be out of there.

I've had this done twice; it's easy peasy!
I don't think so. Not only very painful but very humiliating as well.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:20 AM

3,259 posts, read 4,973,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardCharlie View Post
I'm 26 and have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder since my teens. Apart from the psychological suffering, I've had almost all sorts of physical symptoms - headaches, nausea, dizziness, tremors, tachycardia, muscle pain, breathing difficulties and, of course, gastrointestinal issues. Did therapy for 3 years and meds (it was horrible) and it's a lost battle. It can only be solved with my death. But that's another story.

I always blame any physical symptom that I have on my anxiety. They are absolutely random, don't follow any particular pattern. They don't get worse or better, they just happen.

When it comes to my GI problems things have been getting seriously worse, though. My bowel movements alternate between two phases - the good and the bad.

The good one means that everything goes according plan, I don't feel any pain or discomfort. I go to the toilet when I have to, the business is done cleanly and I feel good afterwards.

The bad one means that I feel bloated and have pain in my lower abdomen. Even though it's not diarrhea, it's much less consistent and I might go to the toilet 4 or 5 times in a row. It still feels like the movement is never properly finished. I've also noticed that an huge amount of mucus comes out (sorry to disgust you).

Lately my stomach has also started to suffer, something that didn't happen before. I don't eat dairy, fried food, pork meat or elaborate sauces.

It came to a point where I think this can't just be anxiety. I booked an appoitment with a gastroenterologist and he agreed that even though anxiety surely plays a part, it looks like there could be an organic cause.

However, it all came crashing down when he said only a colonoscopy could help find the cause. I told him it was out of the question because it's too painful and invasive.

Has anyone been able to handle these issues without such horrific procedures?
A colonoscopy is the best way to rule out such things as colon cancer, and it's not a "horrific" procedure.
The prep is definitely unpleasant (you have to drink nasty tasting stuff, and you have galloping diarrhea for several hours), but the actual procedure is done under anesthesia.

I will concede that the colonoscopy I had about fifteen years ago was very painful, because that doctor used a much lighter type of anesthesia. With my most recent colonoscopy, done three years ago, the doctor (a different doctor from the first one) used propofol, and I. Felt. Nothing. It was wonderful.

Get more facts about colonoscopy before you rule it out completely.

It sounds like your symptoms are similar to mine. After my colonoscopy ruled out everything else, my doctor diagnosed me with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The only way to diagnose IBS is to rule out everything else; there is no test for IBS itself.

While stress is a factor in IBS, your diet is extremely important. You said you don't eat dairy, fried food, pork meat or elaborate sauces, but there are lots of other things that you might be eating or drinking that could be causing or contributing to your problems.

I suggest you do some research into FODMAP foods (just Google FODMAP), and consider an elimination diet avoiding all FODMAPS to see if that helps. It's been very helpful for me. I now know not to ingest wheat, coffee, alcohol, and dairy, as those are IBS triggers for me, but one person's trigger foods are different from the next person's. An elimination diet can help you determine what your trigger foods are.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,271,446 times
Get over your hang-ups; you're not dealing with anything generations before you haven't faced -- and often with a lot less over-sensitivity.

Since turning sixty, I've gone trough three colonoscopies (all without any sedation) and one lumbar puncture -- formerly referred to as a spinal tap; I'm well aware that there are still other procedures that aren't so easy but none of these hurt in the slightest degree.

And remember as well that the professionals who will be carrying ou these tasks are no more enthused than you are; you can win them over by "joining the team" and providing all involved with a sense of participation and control in the process.

And when the task at hand is finished -- shake hands and say "Thanks!"

Old 09-22-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
A colonoscopy is the best way to rule out such things as colon cancer, and it's not a "horrific" procedure.
The prep is definitely unpleasant (you have to drink nasty tasting stuff, and you have galloping diarrhea for several hours), but the actual procedure is done under anesthesia.

I will concede that the colonoscopy I had about fifteen years ago was very painful, because that doctor used a much lighter type of anesthesia. With my most recent colonoscopy, done three years ago, the doctor (a different doctor from the first one) used propofol, and I. Felt. Nothing. It was wonderful.

Get more facts about colonoscopy before you rule it out completely.
I would not be able to go through with it. Even if I scheduled it, I would just cancel a few days before.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:36 AM

33 posts, read 20,902 times
Doctors look at colons and anuses just like noses or feet. Seen one you've seen them all. Yours is neither special or outstanding and probably in no way memorable. The procedure is not painful or embarrassing in any way. I was freaked out about it also until I did it. You wear a open backed robe they have you lay on your side and draw your knees up. Next comes the happy gas and while you sleep they do their work. You will awaken feeling really good and then go get your favorite meal since you are completely cleared out. The whole thing is a cleansing experience where you can get helpful information for your necessary treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.