Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 03:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,652,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
since colon cancer runs in my mother's family, i have one every 5 years.
there is good news and bad news:

the good news is the procedure is better than 5 years ago.
the prep tastes better, and the drugs are better, too.

the bad news: the cost is higher.

one other bright spot: you will lose 5 pounds in two days!
Colposcopy is not the same as a colonoscopy.

And OP - please, find a way to have it done. Cancer is pretty darn traumatic too. And the treatment can be quite a bit more invasive than a colposcopy. I second the idea of getting your doc to prescribe anti-anxiety medication. And maybe a little sedation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 04:01 PM

1,153 posts, read 563,410 times
OK, thanks very much everyone for your responses.

I am going to do it but ask my Dr for some anti-anxiety medication beforehand.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:21 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,503,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post

Good for you! Grit your teeth, take those meds to keep you calmer and cry if you want, but it's better safe than sorry.

We women get all the crappy tests don't we? it sucks.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:56 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,433,604 times
Good girl. Just do it. Try to focus on 15 minutes into the future when the procedure will be over and done with... and you can stop worrying.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:46 PM

7,216 posts, read 4,494,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Good for you! Grit your teeth, take those meds to keep you calmer and cry if you want, but it's better safe than sorry.
We women get all the crappy tests don't we? it sucks.
I know really? Good girl.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:05 PM

6,063 posts, read 4,420,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post

There are different kinds of HPV (my sister has it) and some of them lead to cancer, most don't. You could ask what kind you have to see if you feel at risk.

Second, you need to talk to this doctor, not the new one, and tell her you need the way paved for you. You need anti-anxiety meds and you need the guy to know before you agree to go there that you're not the average patient; you have a very legitimate problem that needs to be taken into consideration. Trust me, I'm "one of those" patients and it's important.

I hope you're fine. Just in case you need further treatment, make sure you're in understanding hands.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,043,377 times
I never had a normal PAP until last year. This year's was normal too, go figure. I had a biopsy done of the uterine lining, via the cervix a few weeks ago 'just to be sure' (have a history of fibroids) & it was awful. I've never been referred for a colonoscopy & I'm 51. Not menopausal; not even peri-menopausal.

I understand about the trauma. When I was 17 I was pregnant with my first & had been on my own since I was 16. The only prenatal care I qualified for was through the county clinic where they had med student rotations. During my cervical exam at one appointment, there was a knock on the door & without even asking; the doctor said 'come in!'

It was a group of about 5 male med students; there to 'observe'. I was mortified as the doctor threw back my drape & they all took turns using the speculum. To this day, I don't even remember getting dressed afterward & leaving the clinic. I remember the ceiling tiles; that's all.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:13 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,606,113 times
Why do people keep talking about colonoscopies? A colposcopy is essentially a vinegar swab of the cervix and is nothing like a colonoscopy.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:32 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,933,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Why do people keep talking about colonoscopies? A colposcopy is essentially a vinegar swab of the cervix and is nothing like a colonoscopy.
Only one person inadvertently mentioned a colonoscopy and a colposcopy is a bit more than a vinegar swab of the cervix.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:54 AM

18,656 posts, read 33,251,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
... I wonder if you could tell the doctor about your feelings in a few words (no need to go into details) and perhaps get a mild anti-anxiety prescription to take for a few days right before & after the test.
My thoughts exactly. And no reason you can't get a female doctor unless services are severely limited in your area. My thoughts are with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness