Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 10:54 AM

1,153 posts, read 561,886 times

Advertisements

Someone started an interesting thread several weeks ago on here about whether to get various screening tests or not. I wrote that I don't get cervical screening because basically I have been through early life sexual trauma and still suffer from post traumatic stress around it from time to time. Going for a cervical screening means several days of feeling like **** and re-living what happened, it's such a trigger.

Anyway, I went for a routine sexual health test recently (I travelled a long way to go to a clinic where they let me self swab). And the doctor asked me why I don't get pap smears, I explained (through tears). She said that I am doing the wrong thing and she practically begged me to get tested saying it could save my life if something is wrong (It's been 10 years since my last test.) So I went along with it even though I hated every minute.

I have the results back and there are 'borderline abnormal' cells in my cervix so got to go for a colposcopy so they can take a good look at my cervix, which is 10-20 mins of being prodded and poked, (as opposed to about 30 seconds of being prodded and poked.) Done by a male doctor this time, to compound my emotional distress

I feel so angry because I found this article a while back written by a physician: Why I'm Saying No To A Smear:

"Cervical screening does prevent deaths from cervical cancer. But to get that reduction, you have to follow up and/or treat all the women who have cell changes on their screening test. However, most cervical-cell changes found at screening will not lead to cervical cancer. The problem is we can't predict which will, so all need further monitoring or treatment. A study from Bristol in 2003 found that 1,000 women have to be screened for 35 years to prevent one death from cervical cancer; and to prevent that death, 80 women have to have further investigation, with 50 women having treatment to their cervices. Four out of five women found at screening to have "high-grade" changes in their cervix did not go on to develop invasive cancer.

Clearly, there is a benefit – but overall, it's small. That potential for good has to be weighed against the risks of treatment. It's known that having a cervical biopsy – which is done to get more information about the degree of abnormality – raises the risk of pre-term birth in later pregnancies. And the worry and anxiety that the results cause shouldn't be underestimated"

Part of me is wondering if I should cancel the colposcopy based on this article and just go for a smear in a year's time to see if the cells are still borderline abnormal.

Anyone had a colposcopy that diagnosed cancer or any stories of what your results were after one? I don't know what to think or maybe I'm being silly. I feel angry now that I have to go have another procedure I don't want.

To give a bit of context, I am 35 years old, healthy weight, don't smoke, exercise regularly, not a regular alcohol drinker, eat healthy, have had functional medicine tests to screen for nutritional deficiencies & take supplements etc. Doing everything I am supposed to, to stay healthy. I had HPV in my 20s though.

Please no judgy responses, this is a very emotional & sensitive issue for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 11:05 AM

7,207 posts, read 4,473,420 times
I don't know... your playing with your life. I wouldn't risk it. I know someone who had it done. It wasn't pleasant but it wasn't horrific. And she ended up being fine.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,579,137 times
I have never been diagnosed with HPV and had the abnormal glandular cells. I got the colposcopy, cervical biopsy, and uterine biopsy. It was not my favorite experience but it was not horrible. The uterine biopsy was my least favorite. I went back in 6 months and in one year and both were fine. I did have a friend who had cancerous cells removed and AFAIK, she had no trouble having children as she had two afterward.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:16 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,575,970 times
Don’t play with your life. Get the test.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,563,943 times
I’ve had a couple and it wasn’t a big deal, honest. It was uncomfortable with some cramping for a day or so but nothing crazy. It felt sort of like scraping your knee but in that area. Mine led to finding cancerous cells which were ultimately removed via surgery and highly aggressive. Had I not done the test I would not be here today. Please please please do it for yourself and your loved ones.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:29 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,946,901 times
There are some things you have to do, and this is one of them. Just get it done and over with.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:34 PM

14,202 posts, read 11,461,314 times
Abnormal cells + HPV negative is common and usually harmless. I've had that result twice (I'm 50 so have had plenty of paps), and my ob/gyn was never concerned about it.

However, abnormal cells + HPV positive is a different situation and much more likely to be a precursor to cervical cancer. I agree with others that it is best if you do further testing. I wonder if you could tell the doctor about your feelings in a few words (no need to go into details) and perhaps get a mild anti-anxiety prescription to take for a few days right before & after the test.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:32 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,918,002 times
since colon cancer runs in my mother's family, i have one every 5 years.
there is good news and bad news:

the good news is the procedure is better than 5 years ago.
the prep tastes better, and the drugs are better, too.

the bad news: the cost is higher.

one other bright spot: you will lose 5 pounds in two days!

Old 09-23-2019, 03:50 PM

6,452 posts, read 6,610,032 times
I have had colposcopy twice, and don't remember them being bad at all. Now, if you are ever told you need a uterine biopsy, insist on anesthesia! Mine was the most barbaric, painful, traumatic thing I have ever experienced (yes, more painful than childbirth).

I don't know if a doctor would give you anasthesia or at least a relaxant for a colposcopy, but given your past trauma, I would hope so.

A male friend was just diagnosed with prostate cancer, and unlike my husband and several others I know who have had prostate biopsies, this friend will be under anesthesia for it. I mention this just to point out that clinicians are perhaps becoming more sensitive to the discomfort patients feel in some of these procedures involving our private, sensitive areas.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:08 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,092,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
since colon cancer runs in my mother's family, i have one every 5 years.
there is good news and bad news:

the good news is the procedure is better than 5 years ago.
the prep tastes better, and the drugs are better, too.

the bad news: the cost is higher.

one other bright spot: you will lose 5 pounds in two days!
a colposcopy is not the same as a colonoscopy. but i can see where the confusion comes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness