Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 12:16 AM

2,219 posts, read 1,324,871 times

Advertisements

I have been allotted time to have two separate biopsies. What puzzles me is why the hospital is doing an MRI biopsy on one breast and then an Ultra-sound biopsy on the other?
Which one is less invasive and will heal faster?
All replies are welcome. And all advice are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 01:41 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
I suspect that the difference between the two is the type of imagery used to guide the sampling needle, not how the actual biopsy itself gets done. One uses ultrasound to locate the sampling site, the other uses MRI to do the same thing. Both probably use the same or very similar fine needle apparatus to collect the tissue samples. Healing for either one is probably the same. I've had guided imagery biopsies done before. Healing was quick; a day or so of discomfort (didn't bother taking anything but Tylenol) and the tiny incision healed shortly after that. As for why they wanted to use one type of imagery on one side or the other can't guess...that's a question for the radiologist. Maybe there's some difference in the tissue density on one side? Maybe due to the location of the targeted area? Ask them.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:56 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
It is just the imaging. The MRI gives a more detailed image than the ultrasound

My question is why not use the best method and do both breasts at same time sparing you of the duplicate procedure

Old 09-27-2019, 12:18 AM

91 posts, read 59,152 times
I agree with the answers above.

Me, I've only had an ultrasound biopsy so I can't speak to MRI biopsies. One thing you might consider is taking some pain relief medicine before you have them done. I took 2 extra strength Tylenol & 2 regular strength aspirin before mine. And a valium since I was a nervous wreck But it really wasn't at all bad. They numb you up really well first, so you hardly feel a thing. In my case I had microcalcifications very close to the chest wall so they had to go in very deep & there was some brief pain. I was glad I'd taken the aspirin & Tylenol, maybe it took the edge off a little. At any rate it certainly wasn't terrible.

Like Parnassia I only needed Tylenol to help with the soreness afterwards. And ice. Keeping ice on it really helps. I could easily have gone to work the next day, but I milked it (sorry for the bad pun) & took an additional 2 days off

I did have some very impressive bruising afterwards! Almost the entire breast was purple for weeks afterwards But it didn't feel anywhere near as bad as it looked. Just very mild discomfort.

I hope yours also go well. Please let us know - well, only if you feel like it of course. I'd be interested in hearing.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:39 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
Agree with mike. When I had mine thoigh it was under anesthesia and the recovery was super painful but they wound up removing an entire duct while they were in there. I needed prescription pain meds for about a month which is less than average per my breast surgeon. I also had it on a Friday and was on a plane for work Monday morning which probably didn’t help.

If you’re not sure about it ask the doctor. They can tell you why one versus the other. My suspicion would be the mri side is smaller or in a more complicated location while the US is more straightforward.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:44 PM

Thank you everyone for your most helpful replies. The appointments for the two biopsies will be carried out at two separate units of the hospital. Other than the US-sonographer and the MRI-technician, I have not met any doctor yet. The only instruction that I have received is not to take aspirin or blood thinner 3 days prior the biopsies.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:02 AM

Went for my MRI left breast biopsy this morning. By the time they sanitized the breast surface and punctured the skin surface, I was vomiting. The procedure was stopped and no sample was collected. The radiologist suggested to wait till after my US-biopsy end of next week, and if an MRI-biopsy for Left breast still required, he would give me some tablets to calm me down and stop me from vomiting.

I will be seeing my family doctor in two days' time, as he has received the result of my thyroid gland's ultrasound. His clinic clerk arranging the appointment sounded ominous.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:57 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
I had a complete panic attack during my MRI guided breast biopsy and they gave me valium (IV) which helped immensely.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:47 PM

91 posts, read 59,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I had a complete panic attack during my MRI guided breast biopsy and they gave me valium (IV) which helped immensely.
I took an oral Valium before my biopsy which also was a HUGE help.

Orbiter, I'm so sorry you had such a rough time! It's a nerve wracking experience, that's for sure. I totally sympathize. Not only are you worried about the possibility of cancer, you're also worried about how much the procedure is going to hurt.. I hope the next one goes MUCH better! It should, as long as they give you some good drugs. Please keep us posted!

Old 10-03-2019, 06:04 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Hill View Post
I took an oral Valium before my biopsy which also was a HUGE help.

Orbiter, I'm so sorry you had such a rough time! It's a nerve wracking experience, that's for sure. I totally sympathize. Not only are you worried about the possibility of cancer, you're also worried about how much the procedure is going to hurt.. I hope the next one goes MUCH better! It should, as long as they give you some good drugs. Please keep us posted!
Also, I have an allergic reaction to the contrast dye (nausea and about to pass out) and the valium really helps with that too.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness