Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 08:49 PM

65 posts, read 37,696 times

Advertisements

I remember going through that terrible prep drink prescribed by the doctor. The taste was awful and so hard to get down. Next time, I ASKED for the Gatorade/Mirilax/Dolculax pills method (all over the counter) and did that. Had they said no to my request, I would have done anyway. The end result is the same either way...an empty colon. So, tell them you want that next time. It's quite easy compared to the other crap (pun intended). Also, I begin my prep a few hours earlier than the usual 4:00pm start time so I'm not up all night running the the bathroom.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 06:39 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,232,378 times
I didn't read the whole thread but yes, I did have one incident when they couldn't do the procedure and sent me home. The next time they gave me a 2-day prep and I wish I'd kept it- there are some on the Internet but they weren't the same. I found the impact less drastic and it worked fine.

I've had 2 without sedation- I was fine. They had to snip out a few nasties but I didn't feel anything. The doc I used the 3rd time didn't like doing them that way- his concern was that I might twist or turn suddenly and get my intestine perforated- a very bad outcome. Since he expressed a genuine concern about doing it right and didn't try and pull the "I'm the doc and you'll do what I say" card, I accepted sedation.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:12 AM

15,240 posts, read 12,804,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, and it seems that different doctors have their own idea about the best prep and for the most part they are quite inflexible. I had mine with MoviPrep- NEVER again! That stuff was horrible, I gagged the whole time and they warned me to make sure it was ice cold or I would vomit
MoviPrep -- ugh -- was the prep I had. It was ice cold and I vomited anyway.

I was not expecting that to happen because the prep I used previously was no big deal at all.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:28 AM

9,294 posts, read 16,576,057 times
Default Colonoscopy & Endoscope

I have been going to a doctor for whom I don't particularly care. Unfortunately because they find polyps I have to have colonoscopy every two years. None have been cancerous to date. When I went for the pre-visit he told me I should have an endoscope. Everyone I know that has had the endoscope had both procedures done at the same time. He doesn't do that and wants two separate procedures. I refused because already this year i had two surgeries and do not want to be under anesthesia 4x in one year.

I have decided to go to another doctor in the practice (recommended by a friend) next time. Since I already had the pre-visit and scheduled the procedure I don't want issues with the insurance if I change now.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:40 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have been going to a doctor for whom I don't particularly care. Unfortunately because they find polyps I have to have colonoscopy every two years. None have been cancerous to date. When I went for the pre-visit he told me I should have an endoscope. Everyone I know that has had the endoscope had both procedures done at the same time. He doesn't do that and wants two separate procedures. I refused because already this year i had two surgeries and do not want to be under anesthesia 4x in one year.

I have decided to go to another doctor in the practice (recommended by a friend) next time. Since I already had the pre-visit and scheduled the procedure I don't want issues with the insurance if I change now.
That really sounds like a lot to go through in the space of a year - I can't blame you for wanting to find alternatives that are more efficient - seemingly for both you and the doctor!

Old 09-28-2019, 09:46 AM

How many people have used the newer CLENPIQ or PLENVU regimens? How do they compare to some of the older ones, especially Suprep?

Old 09-28-2019, 10:32 AM

17,526 posts, read 15,267,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
How many people have used the newer CLENPIQ or PLENVU regimens? How do they compare to some of the older ones, especially Suprep?
I've never used any of the older ones mentioned since my first colonoscopy occurred a year ago. My GI doc, who is well-known & respected in my area, likes the CLENPIQ prep for patients who can utilize a "low volume" prep, and that's what he recommends and prescribes.

FYI, CLENPIQ first came out around Feb 2018 so anyone who had a colonoscopy before that wouldn't have used it.

Using CLENPIQ couldn't have been easier and was so gentle on my system. GI doc was very happy with the result of that prep as he said he was able to see everything clearly and I was all cleaned out.

CLENPIQ is already pre-mixed in two 5-oz bottles, so the total amount of prep solution one has to ingest is 10 oz, split to 2 doses, about 8 to 10 hours apart, with drinking clear liquids after each dose, no more than 8oz each hour is needed for a few hrs.

PLENVU is powder that has to be mixed 2 different times in 16oz of water, for a total amount of prep solution of 32oz, followed by needing to drink 16oz of water or clear liquids after each dose within the next 30 min.

I'd sure rather drink only 10 oz of prep solution, versus >3x the amount of prep solution.

Last edited by lottamoxie; 09-28-2019 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-28-2019, 12:31 PM

3,181 posts, read 2,373,756 times
Try GoLytely and mix it with a powdered lemonade drink mix. It's not exactly pleasant, especially after a few glasses of it, but it won't make you throw up although the first time I did feel queazy but then I had to drink the whole thing without a break. The second time I got a break from 8 pm until 1 am.

I would reconsider the drugs. This isn't Katie Couric live on tv proving something. It isn't pleasant without some drugs.

As to being canceled. The first time I heard a guy come in who told them he ate breakfast that morning because he was hungry. I don't know what happened but they probably canceled.

ETA: I find holding my nose keeps me from gagging. My gag reflexes are usually due to smooshy things like raw clams (ick) not liquid but the smell can cause feeling queazy. Hold your nose and down it.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 09-28-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 09-28-2019, 12:45 PM

3,181 posts, read 2,373,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Unfortunately this is a big issue with many GI practices. A colonoscopy "assembly line" approach fails a significant percentage of patients because they are being given instructions they simply can't follow.
Not in my case. I guess I had a great guy. I think he spent probably 1/2 hr to 45 min with me explaining the procedure with diagrams. I was also having my upper gi checked due to GERD (turned out no issues). Since I had had a previous colonoscopy he asked me how I handled it and offered me two types. A newer one but was very expensive out of pocket (like $100) or the Golytely at less than $10. I chose the cheaper. I was given clear instructions and he was fully willing to answer questions. I didn't have any because I had a colonoscopy before and knew the drill and I researched the upper gi thing. Also my dh and I had different doctors and both showed us pictures though I did like my guy better ;-) I wouldn't blame the doctor in OP's case because never undergoing it before how could he know how he would react? Now that it is a known issue, they will offer a different prep and an anti nausea med.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Not in my case. I guess I had a great guy. I think he spent probably 1/2 hr to 45 min with me explaining the procedure with diagrams. I was also having my upper gi checked due to GERD (turned out no issues). Since I had had a previous colonoscopy he asked me how I handled it and offered me two types. A newer one but was very expensive out of pocket (like $100) or the Golytely at less than $10. I chose the cheaper. I was given clear instructions and he was fully willing to answer questions. I didn't have any because I had a colonoscopy before and knew the drill and I researched the upper gi thing. Also my dh and I had different doctors and both showed us pictures though I did like my guy better ;-) I wouldn't blame the doctor in OP's case because never undergoing it before how could he know how he would react? Now that it is a known issue, they will offer a different prep and an anti nausea med.
I'm not quite sure of your meaning...if you mean how I would react, true - but he never asked if I was constipated and in terms of nausea - is it such a big deal to prescribe you something just in case?

If you mean in terms of the sedation part - he'd actually had one himself unsedated so he would know better how to advise others- THAT really impressed me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness