Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 06:21 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Fair question and I should clarify.

There’s complying with the physician’s instructions on how to do the prep, and complying with the outcome in actually being adequately prepped.

As someone else mentioned it’s possible to change the prep method or go against the doctor’s procedure and still be cleaned out enough to accomplish the procedure.

Perhaps the doctors should offer multiple methods and allow the patient to choose?

Again, I’m just repeating what I’ve heard myself and what I heard from my GI doctor. Maybe men have the exact same issues but don’t complain about the harsher prep methods.
Yeah....either stop moving the goalposts or express yourself better - that's not at all what you said the first time around. Anyway, it's complete speculation by both your and whatever "doctor" you talked with so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 06:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,084,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yeah....either stop moving the goalposts or express yourself better - that's not at all what you said the first time around. Anyway, it's complete speculation by both your and whatever "doctor" you talked with so....
Sorry you’re so sensitive about this. Feel free to put doctor in quotes and attempt to discredit what you don’t want to hear, but as someone with IBD I not only have a GI doctor but have routine procedures and visits. He does hundreds of colonoscopies (and a lesser amount of endoscopies) a year.

I’ve also mentioned how unpleasant the prep is to him, and asked about other patient’s opinions and compliance with his prep directions. What I should have asked as a follow up was if that changed the outcome of him being able to do a proper procedure or not. I didn’t, and that would have made a difference.

I’ll also agree that it’s a small sample size and now move on. Thanks and have a great day.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:52 AM

9,356 posts, read 9,646,145 times
How many of y'all came here for the "graphic" in the title?

Old 09-30-2019, 01:30 PM

4,482 posts, read 9,242,769 times
The prep instructions I was given included actual food on that last day before the procedure. It was very specific about what could be eaten in addition to the fluids, and said that contrary to what many people think, eating on that day helps your body deal with what you're about to put it through (with the Suprep). I was able to eat eggs, chicken breast, and white bread, and butter - I'm not sure if there was anything else. The diet said what was allowed for breakfast, for lunch, and for dinner. When you try to get a head start, you are weakening your body.

The preparation itself was unpleasant; I'd quickly slurp up as much as I could, then get a lemon wedge in my mouth as soon as possible. My stomach was unhappy, but the awful stuff stayed down and did its work.

I did have sedation, and the procedure itself wasn't bad. I've read here on C-D that in other countries sedation is not used. I don't think it's because their people are naturally tougher - I think it's because we have private insurance, and therefore can afford sedation.

I'm not doing it again for a very long time, if ever.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:41 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
The prep instructions I was given included actual food on that last day before the procedure. It was very specific about what could be eaten in addition to the fluids, and said that contrary to what many people think, eating on that day helps your body deal with what you're about to put it through (with the Suprep). I was able to eat eggs, chicken breast, and white bread, and butter - I'm not sure if there was anything else. The diet said what was allowed for breakfast, for lunch, and for dinner. When you try to get a head start, you are weakening your body.

The preparation itself was unpleasant; I'd quickly slurp up as much as I could, then get a lemon wedge in my mouth as soon as possible. My stomach was unhappy, but the awful stuff stayed down and did its work.

I did have sedation, and the procedure itself wasn't bad. I've read here on C-D that in other countries sedation is not used. I don't think it's because their people are naturally tougher - I think it's because we have private insurance, and therefore can afford sedation.

I'm not doing it again for a very long time, if ever.
I have been reading some research that doing "low residue diet" 5 days before and ALSO the actual day prior (rather than changing over to all liquid) did help by keeping the bowel moving. That does make some sense as long as you're really careful about the low reside food items.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:07 AM

7,212 posts, read 11,879,655 times
I have to go for my first colonoscopy in a few weeks. I'm not concerned about drinking the prep (I have the Clenpiq) or the procedure. I am concerned about the fasting. How do you get through it? My arrival time is at 7:15 am on a Thursday and my instructions say I'm not supposed to have anything except the clear liquid diet after 6:00 pm on Tuesday. I'm to drink the first prep at 6:00 pm Wednesday and the second prep at 3:00 am Thursday. I'm used to eating about 8 small (protein heavy) snacks/meals a day and this will be 36+ hours of no solid food. Even worse is I can't stand coffee, soda, jello, ice pops or fruit juices. 36+ hours of plain tea, water and chicken broth sounds insane. I'm worried I might pass out or get a severe headache. Any advice on how to avoid that? Does 36+ hours seem correct? Most people talk about it being 24 hours.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:13 AM

21,593 posts, read 9,188,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sorry, this is gonna be long...short version at the bottom if you don't want to read.

I'd finally decided to schedule my first colonoscopy. I'm a few years over 50 but in good general health and no family history so I hadn't been in a hurry though my doctor kept reminding me.

I didn't want to be sedated and my doctor originally set this up so that I wouldn't even talk to anyone beforehand, just get the prep and go to the clinic. But in this case I really needed to talk to someone who'd be willing to do it without sedation, etc.

So I went to the consult, which seemed like a big deal but the doctor agreed - then a nurse came in and basically told me about the prep and got it ordered through my service.

I was doing a lot of online research on tips to get through the prep and I found some info about what to do if you are typically on the constipated-side - I was surprised because no one ever asked if I was "irregular" or anything, despite even getting the extra consult.

So because of that online info I decided to start a low-residue diet 5 days before...and to take some gentle laxatives starting early...and do 4 doses of Miralax 2 days before to get things "moving". And they did, kinda. Then the day before I did a totally liquid diet - not even a light breakfast though my procedure was for 12:30 the next afternoon.

The night before I started the SuPrep. Had it refrigerated...a straw,...ice...candy to suck on - all the tips. I got it down in about 15 minutes and then drank another 16 oz. of water as directed...then I totally lost it after 30 minutes - projectile vomiting. I knew it was so quick that I'd get no benefit at all. Online there were only instructions that you should drink it quickly and if you felt nauseous stop for awhile and start again but this happened after I'd already had it all so there was no way to salvage anything.

So I got dramamine to help with any nausea for the morning dose. Of course I knew it would be bad because of how horrible it tasted and that I'd vomited before. So I went slower....gagging the whole 45 minutes to get half of it down and I knew I couldn't finish. So I called them at 8:00 am since my procedure was at 12:30 hoping they had some alternative. Nope - just flat out cancelled me - no options. I'm actually a little pissed because there was no after-hours number I could have called last night to get any human help.

A nurse called me back later this morning...said they'd give me PlenVu the next time and some anti-nausea medication. But I seriously don't know if I can do it...has anyone had an "aborted" procedure and then was able to have a "clean" colonoscopy after that? Did you give up and just do ColoGuard? Are there any tips I just don't know about?

That taste is so vivid in my mind I'm almost gagging now...I'll have to wait a few months to even try again. I also wonder how much I'll get charged for this attempt. Ugh - I thought I'd planned so well and now feel like a total failure - and having the delayed effects of the prep all this afternoon is yucky too.

Short version: Special consult still didn't prepare me for vomiting up the first of the split doses...now have to reschedule the procedure. How can I do better next time given I am typically constipated all the time and the extra stuff I did was of no help with the gagging/vomiting? Should I just do ColoGuard? I actually didn't want to do that before because with my constipation I don't have a regular morning kind of thing so it would be hard to do it, prepare the sample and get it in the mail as fast as is necessary.

I am also constipated most of the time so I started taking 800 mg of magnesium every night at bedtime. If I travel or am more stressed than usual, it often doesn't work so I just keep upping it until I am not constipated. Warning: You have to have time in the morning where you don't have to be anywhere. It's a pain but better than being miserable.

So when I had my colonoscopy, I also figured out that if I was pretty cleaned out ahead of time, it would be ok. And so I increased my magnesium a few days ahead. Also, take the whole time to take your prep. You obviously know that now. I would take the sedation, too.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:36 AM

17,552 posts, read 15,273,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I have to go for my first colonoscopy in a few weeks. I'm not concerned about drinking the prep (I have the Clenpiq) or the procedure. I am concerned about the fasting. How do you get through it? My arrival time is at 7:15 am on a Thursday and my instructions say I'm not supposed to have anything except the clear liquid diet after 6:00 pm on Tuesday. I'm to drink the first prep at 6:00 pm Wednesday and the second prep at 3:00 am Thursday. I'm used to eating about 8 small (protein heavy) snacks/meals a day and this will be 36+ hours of no solid food. Even worse is I can't stand coffee, soda, jello, ice pops or fruit juices. 36+ hours of plain tea, water and chicken broth sounds insane. I'm worried I might pass out or get a severe headache. Any advice on how to avoid that? Does 36+ hours seem correct? Most people talk about it being 24 hours.
My fast was about 30 hours.

You're allowed to have broth of any kind (beef, chicken, veggie). Buy some boxes of bone broth. Each serving has around 7 or 8 grams of protein. That's what I used and it was great. A hot beverage is satisfying. I also drank some coconut water mixed with filtered water for additional calories.

Best of luck!

Old 11-01-2019, 12:23 PM

7,212 posts, read 11,879,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
My fast was about 30 hours.

You're allowed to have broth of any kind (beef, chicken, veggie). Buy some boxes of bone broth. Each serving has around 7 or 8 grams of protein. That's what I used and it was great. A hot beverage is satisfying. I also drank some coconut water mixed with filtered water for additional calories.

Best of luck!

Thank you. I appreciate the advice.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,584,567 times
I hated the regular procedure. The last time I did it, I refused to drink the poisons offered and got pills - which were much easier, obviously and did the trick.

So ask for the pills and then do your light diet a few days before and you should be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness