Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 01:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 15,267,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Thank you. I appreciate the advice.
Glad to help. BTW, you're going to love the Clenpiq. Important: the instructions say don't refrigerate it, keep it at room temp. It actually tastes decent and you only have to drink 5 oz of it each dose. I kept waiting for something really bad to happen (because of all the horror prep stories on the Interwebs). Nothing bad at all! Hope it goes as easily for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 01:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,187,292 times
I still haven't gotten rescheduled and frankly it's dropped from the top of my list...anyway, I can't seem to get hold of the right person at the right time and whenever they call I'm at work in a meeting or something. I've gotten out of the right order of how things are done so they don't really have me in their process.

But in the meantime I've been wondering - do "emergency" colonoscopies ever have to be done on short notice? How are those handled?

And how do the super-rich have this done? I can't imagine someone like Trump or otherwise wimpy, spoiled, rich people putting up with prep like this! I have to think they have some kind of alternative....if I just had enough money, would this be easy?

Last edited by reneeh63; 11-01-2019 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 07:49 PM

1,201 posts, read 609,680 times
If an emergency colonoscopy is needed, they probably just use an enema.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:44 AM

20,297 posts, read 4,225,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I didn't want to be sedated and my doctor originally set this up so that I wouldn't even talk to anyone beforehand, just get the prep and go to the clinic. But in this case I really needed to talk to someone who'd be willing to do it without sedation, etc.

Short version: Special consult still didn't prepare me for vomiting up the first of the split doses...now have to reschedule the procedure. How can I do better next time given I am typically constipated all the time and the extra stuff I did was of no help with the gagging/vomiting? Should I just do ColoGuard? I actually didn't want to do that before because with my constipation I don't have a regular morning kind of thing so it would be hard to do it, prepare the sample and get it in the mail as fast as is necessary.
Remember if you go the ColoGuard route, you still may need to get a Colonoscopy anyway.

You want the sedation for the colonoscopy. The whole procedure lasts about 30-45 minutes.
From prep room to recovery room. The IV sedation is to relax your body. Most people go to sleep for the whole thing. Trust me without the sedation you will be miserable. I've had 3 colonoscopies, and during one I wasn't given enough sedation. I was coming around too soon, and I felt the procedure.
They didn't properly account for the medications I was on. The other two I had went fine.

Prep:

It's been a while since I've had my last colonoscopy. But for the 3 I had I was given the white powder you mix with water. They say you could mix it with water or Gatorade.

But those are a recipe for disaster. You experienced that first hand.

So what I did was mix the the powder in a 64oz bottle of White Grape Juice. The only thing the powder does is make the juice feel thicker. The juice tastes the same. You drink it as directed.

For a visual reference think of the White Grape Juice as if it was Milk. After adding the powder it becomes Milkshake.

You should be able to keep it down better. Remember it must be 64oz bottle of White Grape Juice.
Regular grape juice will not work, and mess up your prep.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:20 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,232,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
You want the sedation for the colonoscopy. The whole procedure lasts about 30-45 minutes.
From prep room to recovery room. The IV sedation is to relax your body. Most people go to sleep for the whole thing. Trust me without the sedation you will be miserable. I've had 3 colonoscopies, and during one I wasn't given enough sedation. I was coming around too soon, and I felt the procedure.
They didn't properly account for the medications I was on. The other two I had went fine.
I had two without sedation and was fine, even when they snipped a couple of things out. I prefer it but the 3rd time I had to go with a different doc (was paying out-of-pocket because it was considered diagnostic and the original one worked out of a hospital and I couldn't determine all-in cost beforehand). Doc on the third one said that he preferred sedation because he didn't have to worry about the patient moving or flinching. OK, I could understand that pitch but now that I'm on Medicare I may see if I can go back to the original doc.

YMMV if you have adhesions, twisty/turny intestines, etc. My mother had them without sedation when she was in her 70s.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:15 AM

42,710 posts, read 25,867,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I had two without sedation and was fine, even when they snipped a couple of things out. I prefer it but the 3rd time I had to go with a different doc (was paying out-of-pocket because it was considered diagnostic and the original one worked out of a hospital and I couldn't determine all-in cost beforehand). Doc on the third one said that he preferred sedation because he didn't have to worry about the patient moving or flinching. OK, I could understand that pitch but now that I'm on Medicare I may see if I can go back to the original doc.

YMMV if you have adhesions, twisty/turny intestines, etc. My mother had them without sedation when she was in her 70s.
I've had two without sedation and it was no big deal. My cousin is a Nurse Practitioner who used to work in a colonoscopy clinic and she said that doctors want you sedated because they can do the procedure more quickly if they don't have to be concerned with your comfort - the downside of that is that more quickly can result in a perforated colon.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Remember if you go the ColoGuard route, you still may need to get a Colonoscopy anyway.

Prep:

It's been a while since I've had my last colonoscopy. But for the 3 I had I was given the white powder you mix with water. They say you could mix it with water or Gatorade.

So what I did was mix the the powder in a 64oz bottle of White Grape Juice. The only thing the powder does is make the juice feel thicker. The juice tastes the same. You drink it as directed.

For a visual reference think of the White Grape Juice as if it was Milk. After adding the powder it becomes Milkshake.

You should be able to keep it down better. Remember it must be 64oz bottle of White Grape Juice.
But my prep was not powder, it was liquid - extremely vile. So there are many kinds of prep and that seems to make giving and getting advice difficult since people generally don't get to choose their prep unless they make a major deal of it.

So it sounds like you got miralax...which is how I think I'd like to do it if I can't persuade them to give me clenpiq which requires a prescription.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Prep:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've had two without sedation and it was no big deal. My cousin is a Nurse Practitioner who used to work in a colonoscopy clinic and she said that doctors want you sedated because they can do the procedure more quickly if they don't have to be concerned with your comfort - the downside of that is that more quickly can result in a perforated colon.
Exactly....the doc I was going to have said he'd chosen to do his without sedation so he could better advise patients. Basically he asked if I'd ever been pregnant or had several specific abdominal surgeries (possible adhesions from those can cause pain?) and since I'd hadn't, he said "fine".

Old 11-04-2019, 10:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I still haven't gotten rescheduled and frankly it's dropped from the top of my list...anyway, I can't seem to get hold of the right person at the right time and whenever they call I'm at work in a meeting or something. I've gotten out of the right order of how things are done so they don't really have me in their process.

But in the meantime I've been wondering - do "emergency" colonoscopies ever have to be done on short notice? How are those handled?

And how do the super-rich have this done? I can't imagine someone like Trump or otherwise wimpy, spoiled, rich people putting up with prep like this! I have to think they have some kind of alternative....if I just had enough money, would this be easy?
I think my sister had a short notice colonoscopy one time, not sure of the circumstances other than she was already in the hospital. She told me she had some version of a colon wash/irrigation that cleaned her out, about an hour before the colonoscopy.

I can't think the super-rich could circumvent the cleaning out process needed before a colonoscopy. Seems to me the human anatomy and physiology is pretty much the same despite the individual human's net worth!

Old 11-04-2019, 02:38 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,583,340 times
Weird how you just glossed over the pills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness