Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2019, 12:14 PM

54 posts, read 63,422 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My left thyroid is getting larger (goiter but no cancer). My right thyroid was removed years ago due to its large size (also goiter but no cancer). My left thyroid is doing a good job without the right thyroid.

I'm a vegetarian and eat a lot of spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, peanuts, etc. But the goiter guidelines say these foods can make a goiter even larger. They say I should eat foods like chicken, legumes, more iodized salt, etc.

Some of this would turn my eating choices upside down. Legumes are okay, but the guidelines really limit my vegetables. Any advice, please (especially protein and greens)?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 12:41 PM

23,285 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Way View Post
Hi!

My left thyroid is getting larger (goiter but no cancer). My right thyroid was removed years ago due to its large size (also goiter but no cancer). My left thyroid is doing a good job without the right thyroid.

I'm a vegetarian and eat a lot of spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, peanuts, etc. But the goiter guidelines say these foods can make a goiter even larger. They say I should eat foods like chicken, legumes, more iodized salt, etc.

Some of this would turn my eating choices upside down. Legumes are okay, but the guidelines really limit my vegetables. Any advice, please (especially protein and greens)?

Thank you!
What does your endocrinologist say about this?

Old 09-30-2019, 02:23 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
You only have one thyroid - I assume you mean the left side? You really do need to speak to your Endo. and possibly a nutritionist/dietician to figure out your food choices.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:41 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Way View Post
Hi!

Thank you!

Yes, cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc., are goitrogens and could be affecting you. I would try cutting back some on the cruciferous vegetables and including more non-cruciferous vegetables such as romaine, endive, swiss chard, lambs quarters, chicory, parsley, beet greens, squash, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, celery, carrots, cucumber, tomato. Chicken and turkey are good, also cold-water fish like salmon and sardines.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
My mother had a thyroid removed in her 30s and was a complete vegetarian until her death in her 70s. That's just anecdotal information. Her doctors never told her to eat meat.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:04 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Yes, certain foods can bind Iodine, making it less available for your thyroid and causing the thyroid to enlarge in order to capture more. You probably can't eat enough of them to make a difference.

Goiter is not a disease in itself, it's a response to an abnormal state: low Iodine availability (very rare since iodized salt was introduced in the 20th century) or much more commonly, due to diseased pituitary/thyroid function.

If they removed part of your thyroid, they did nothing to treat the underlying condition, so it keeps smoldering along. The smart thing to do would have been to remove the goiter for cosmetic reasons, then suppress the remaining gland with levo-thyroxin pills-- cheap & easy.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:36 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
4Way, adding to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Yes, cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc., are goitrogens and could be affecting you. I would try cutting back some on the cruciferous vegetables and including more non-cruciferous vegetables such as romaine, endive, swiss chard, lambs quarters, chicory, parsley, beet greens, squash, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, celery, carrots, cucumber, tomato. Chicken and turkey are good, also cold-water fish like salmon and sardines.
You can use a low-moderate amount of iodized salt, if you aren't already. It exists to prevent goiter for those with iodine-deficient diets. If you have eliminated meat/seafood and eggs (or live in a low iodine region such as the Goiter Belt) you may be deficient in iodine; also zinc and selenium. Adding seaweed to your diet as one of your greens could help. Balance is required because too much iodine can also cause goiter.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:51 AM

54 posts, read 63,422 times
Default Very helpful replies!

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful replies! I especially appreciated the recommended "ok" foods. I was surprised at everyone's knowledge about goiters. I'll definitely modify my diet using everyone's suggestions. It's good to know that I have many options and can still follow a vegetarian diet. Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness