Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 11:12 AM

3,186 posts, read 2,392,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I guess I have to explain it for the mentally challenged but once you get esophageal or stomach cancer they are in the zone of cancer treatments and referrals. Thats where the real money is.. never mind if you survive how many follow ups you will have with them for the rest of your life.
Doctors don't want you to get cancer. I was diagnosed with GERD due to cough and feelings of tightness in chest along with burping. My doctor prescribed Omeprozale but didn't want me on it for long due to the cancer risk. When I got a colonoscopy she had them do an upper GI as well. Surprisingly nothing was found to indicate GERD but that doesn't rule it out. The doctor who did the colonoscopy and upper GI recommends raising the head of your bed either with blocks (cheap way) or with a wedge that goes between the mattress and box spring. He doesn't believe the pillow wedges work giving you more a pain in the neck than help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 11:30 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
No racket going on. GERD is truly that common. The first symptom I had 2 years ago was dysphagia, so I saw an ENT. He immediately said he suspected GERD and that a huge percentage of his patients who present with difficulty swallowing, in fact, have GERD. He scoped me to see what he could, and then a few months later, the GERD was confirmed via endoscopy performed by a Gastroenterologist.
If GERD is truly that common there is something very wrong. I can't accept that people are just supposed to struggle with chronic disorders as if they have always been a way of life.

It seems the bastions of medical science sometimes insist that we remain in the dark ages. The guy who discovered H. Pylori later won the Nobel Prize but look at what he had to do to prove it:

Quote:
For more than a century, doctors believed they understood the cause of stomach ulcers: stress. But in the 1980s, one Australian doctor dared to challenge that concept, and he put his own stomach on the line to prove it.

“I brewed up the bacteria in petri dishes and put it into roast beef soup and then I drank the bacteria,” Marshall said.

Within five days, he was vomiting due to the bacterial infection, and had an endoscopy done, showing that he had developed both a bacterial infection and stomach inflammation—the first step toward getting an ulcer. It took almost a decade of further research, but eventually the medical community embraced Marshall’s findings and started to test ulcer patients for H. pylori, and treating them with simple antibiotics if they had the infection.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j...-live-bacteria

I mean, seriously.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:24 PM

6,288 posts, read 2,843,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You can buy nitrite free hotdogs and bacon--they do cost a little more though. I knew someone who claimed that you could eat foods with nitrites as long as you ate something containing vitamin C at the same time. Don't know if that's true though.
The nitrate free meats came out a long time ago - and almost no one eats them. People have been touting vitamin C for decades but I've never seen a respected study that shows benefit aside from modest prevention against a cold.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:36 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,608,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
If GERD is truly that common there is something very wrong. I can't accept that people are just supposed to struggle with chronic disorders as if they have always been a way of life.

It seems the bastions of medical science sometimes insist that we remain in the dark ages. The guy who discovered H. Pylori later won the Nobel Prize but look at what he had to do to prove it:

I mean, seriously.
There is a lot happening in our guts that I think medicine does not truly understand. I have family in the medical profession and even they admit that a lot more has to do with the gut that is acknowledged now.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:17 PM

7,996 posts, read 10,362,820 times
When my husband was having issues, his GI doc told him to clean up his diet. Cut out everything processed. Also said to limit himself to one cup of coffee a day. Surprisingly, my husband did it, well, like 90% of the time. And he's never felt better. IMO, that should be the recommendation by most doctors for most issues. Change your diet. Especially when it comes to GI issues.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:37 PM

22,619 posts, read 24,441,992 times
I have a hiatal-hernia and GERD............trust me, it is not imaginary.

PPIs have always seemed kooky to me, constantly having decreased stomach-acid, probably not a good idea.

But Zantac (Ranitidine) is an H2-blocker that has been around for a very long time and has a good track-record, considered very safe...........HUM! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranitidine

Ranitidine was discovered in 1976 and came into commercial use in 1981. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system. It is available as a generic medication.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:14 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,882,268 times
Quote:

I mean, seriously.
Yep.

Antibiotic or lifelong chronic health problem involving multiple doctors and lifelong medication to MANAGE it?

Ask yourself: Which is more PROFITABLE?

And people think it never happens. /shrug/

Old 10-03-2019, 06:48 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,554,423 times
Now I gotta find a new med. I only have a few days worth left

Old 10-03-2019, 07:09 PM

36,994 posts, read 41,024,650 times
Quote:

It seems the bastions of medical science sometimes insist that we remain in the dark ages. The guy who discovered H. Pylori later won the Nobel Prize but look at what he had to do to prove it

I mean, seriously.
Researchers have been using themselves as test subjects for centuries.

Jonas Salk and his family were among the first to get his polio vaccine.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/co...ine-his-family

Old 10-04-2019, 05:36 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,193,083 times
Quote:

I mean, seriously.
IF GERD is really that common???

Seriously???

"A recent systematic review showed that the prevalence of GERD is 18.1–27.8% in North America, 8.8–25.9% in Europe, 2.5–7.8% in East Asia, 8.7–33.1% in the Middle East, 11.6% in Australia, and 23.0% in South "
America."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6175565/

Yeah GERD is "truly that common" and the incidence is increasing mainly due to lifestyle factors. Not surprising at all when you look at the main triggers for GERD

Doesn't make it any less "real"

Chronic Diseases don't really care whether "you can accept them or not".....they have been around since the dawn of man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness