Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 03:47 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,393,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
And pay $180 for plastic frames and plain glass? You could probably find costume glasses on Amazon or ebay and get the same effect. But they wouldn't have that Ray Ban label would they?
People are paying $150 for RayBan sunglasses in department stores (and outlets) all day long. I imagine the same principle applies here.

If you want a pair to cherish and keep for 10 years, go for it. If you treat your accessories like costume jewelry, then that's the quality you need to be buying.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:31 PM

408 posts, read 257,029 times
Sure, people wear safety glasses at work. Some professions have to wear clear face shields or googles.

Trust me when I say glasses are a pain because you have to clean them multiple times a day.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:17 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,512,548 times
Maybe the OP wants to look smarter for certain occasions. Looks matter so it's not totally out of the question. Almost out of the question but not totally. If you don't want the actual lens just buy the frame and wear the glasses frame. Only close observers will notice your glasses have no lens. However if they do notice they may think you're off your medication and avoid you. On the bright side you don't have to deal with any glass clouding your vision.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:46 AM

6,404 posts, read 3,881,108 times
Why would you? They're a medical device. Would you go around in a wheelchair just for fashion and funsies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
So silly. 99% of people who actually NEED glasses wish they didn't need them and didn't have to wear them. Yet here you are asking a silly question like this, getting ready to pay almost $200 just to "look" like you need glasses...
Seriously. It's an ages-old meme in our culture how unattractive glasses allegedly are... and then some people wear them to be "cute." I guess they're only unattractive if you actually need them?

Old 10-05-2019, 07:23 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,876,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Maybe the OP wants to look smarter for certain occasions. Looks matter so it's not totally out of the question. Almost out of the question but not totally. If you don't want the actual lens just buy the frame and wear the glasses frame. Only close observers will notice your glasses have no lens. However if they do notice they may think you're off your medication and avoid you. On the bright side you don't have to deal with any glass clouding your vision.
Exactly. I'm an optician, OP. Here's the problem with buying a frame only with clear lenses. They won't have the anti-reflective treatment so you will get a lot of glare looking through them. But if you want them as a fashion statement piece, go for it. I wouldn't pop the lenses out. That looks very strange and people WILL notice.

The obvious question is, how do you know you don't need glasses? Have you seen an eye doctor the past two years to be sure? A lot of people need a mild prescription and don't know it, so if you haven't, get checked first. BTW, $178 for that frame online is pretty expensive. And you might need an optical or lab account to buy directly from RayBan anyway. If you want that frame, you should be able to get it at Target for less and if you have a problem with it you can talk to a human being rather than email them, send it back, talking to bots, etc.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:06 AM

11,002 posts, read 9,637,853 times
So you WANT to look like Clark Kent?? Ooookay...

People pay thousands for Lasik surgery so they can QUIT wearing glasses. Ever wonder why? Others pay a ton every year for contacts, and the hassles of storing, cleaning, inserting, removing contacts, rather than have to have frames ruining their look. Maybe they know something...But hey, you do you.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:23 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,968,193 times
I think I’d invest in a killer pair of sunglasses, and leave it at that. Wearing glasses is a pain.

After you hit forty, you’ll need glasses soon enough.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:20 PM

22,945 posts, read 18,241,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Why would you? They're a medical device. Would you go around in a wheelchair just for fashion and funsies?
Wanna bet the OP would complain bitterly about the cost of a routine eye exam and necessary prescription glasses, but not bat an eye (yes, pun intended) at paying for those same (but unnecessary) glasses just to make a fashion statement?

Old 10-05-2019, 03:05 PM

13,259 posts, read 8,350,535 times
Hey! Get some fashion hearing aides too since common sense is not listen too either .

In a comical way I'm insulted that you wish to wear frames ..it gives the image that you do have a vision impairment. Misleading.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:15 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,371,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. I'm an optician, OP. Here's the problem with buying a frame only with clear lenses. They won't have the anti-reflective treatment so you will get a lot of glare looking through them. But if you want them as a fashion statement piece, go for it. I wouldn't pop the lenses out. That looks very strange and people WILL notice.

The obvious question is, how do you know you don't need glasses? Have you seen an eye doctor the past two years to be sure? A lot of people need a mild prescription and don't know it, so if you haven't, get checked first. BTW, $178 for that frame online is pretty expensive. And you might need an optical or lab account to buy directly from RayBan anyway. If you want that frame, you should be able to get it at Target for less and if you have a problem with it you can talk to a human being rather than email them, send it back, talking to bots, etc.
My career is with a non retail optics company specialized in incorporating telescopic magnification in eyewear.

Plenty of trays are plano.

Hmmm, I wonder if there will be a fashion market for plano A/R frames in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.