Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 12:33 AM

22,815 posts, read 18,101,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I wonder why the doctor didn't tell my husband that the hip is healed enough to have pin removed.
Hard to say. Did he do any scans before suggesting the pin(s) be removed? Maybe he didn't think telling your husband this was necessary. He wouldn't suggest removing them if the bone hadn't healed enough.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-07-2019 at 12:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 01:43 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,727,353 times
I would get a second opinion about the cause of the pain. Removing pins sounds like a shot in the dark.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:49 AM

18,611 posts, read 7,446,494 times
What happens if hip pin is taken out of hip?

Umm... 7 seconds later you explode?

OK, OK, sorry for the humor. I hope he recovers soon and gets rid of the pain. Please keep us up to date!

Old 10-07-2019, 01:22 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,294,393 times
I’ve had pins in both hips for over 30 years now. I had SCFE as a teenager which required pinning of both hips. The hardware was left in. I now need a right hip replacement and the pins will be removed when the surgeon removed the femoral head in preparation for implanting the prosthesis.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,235,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hard to say. Did he do any scans before suggesting the pin(s) be removed? Maybe he didn't think telling your husband this was necessary. He wouldn't suggest removing them if the bone hadn't healed enough.
I guess. I'll have to write the questions down so I don't get sidetracked when I'm there with my husband. Good question though.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
What happens if hip pin is taken out of hip?

Umm... 7 seconds later you explode?

OK, OK, sorry for the humor. I hope he recovers soon and gets rid of the pain. Please keep us up to date!
OK, that was very funny. (kind of.) Yes, I'll keep you up to date.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I would get a second opinion about the cause of the pain. Removing pins sounds like a shot in the dark.
After I speak to the surgeon again that did the surgery, I will probably go to another surgeon. Anyway. Maybe. But now I am finding that different docs use different screws and cement for the same type of surgery, so I can only guess the initial doc who put the screws and pins in knows what he did. What a mess sometimes with the medical profession.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:11 PM

21,602 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Quote:
So my husband's doctor offered 3 possible treatments for the hip pain he is experiencing after more than a year from hip surgery. He had a pin (or more, not sure) placed in his hip and is not recovering well due to pain. One possibility is removal of the pin. He would still limp, according to dr., but would not have the pain. Is this true? Further, what happens if the pin(s) is removed?? I mean it sounds incredible. So I'm curious as to what happens to hip if pin(s) is removed...if he has no pain but would still limp, what good is the pin in the first place??
Generalities aren't that useful.

Hardware can be either permanent or temporary. Sounds like permanent was the intent. Sometimes permanent hardware is just left in even though it's no longer necessary because there's no reason to remove it. Sometimes in those cases the hardware causes pain and it does get removed. Other times the hardware is structurally necessary. Sounds like that's the case so the hip joint will be compromised by the removal and they don't expect it to ever heal and function fully. That might be preferable than pain though.

The doctor should document the surgery they did. Of course surgeons are notorious for sloppy records although in general medical reporting today is far, far better than it was in the past.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Generalities aren't that useful.

Hardware can be either permanent or temporary. Sounds like permanent was the intent. Sometimes permanent hardware is just left in even though it's no longer necessary because there's no reason to remove it. Sometimes in those cases the hardware causes pain and it does get removed. Other times the hardware is structurally necessary. Sounds like that's the case so the hip joint will be compromised by the removal and they don't expect it to ever heal and function fully. That might be preferable than pain though.

The doctor should document the surgery they did. Of course surgeons are notorious for sloppy records although in general medical reporting today is far, far better than it was in the past.
The surgeon is a bit inaccessible in personality, makes me feel stupid. (Maybe I am...BUT... I'd still like to know why, if the surgery was a success, he is in such pain. Two years later. And I really don't want to hear, "Well, sometimes it happens..." The question is Why.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
The surgeon is a bit inaccessible in personality, makes me feel stupid. (Maybe I am...BUT... I'd still like to know why, if the surgery was a success, he is in such pain. Two years later. And I really don't want to hear, "Well, sometimes it happens..." The question is Why.
Cindi, "they" don't know why, I'm in a lot of pain 9 yrs later from hip job. I don't have pins but have a metal part and plastic part and just suck it up, some days worse than others. Thank goodness no infection NOW, I hope.

Why not see another surgeon who does the surgery he had done.

So sorry for all this pain and misery, I can relate. Those who have had good surgeries are very fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness