Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,063,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech Sr. View Post
Does anyone take the 25 mg generic Benadril as a sleep aid?

I take it occasionally and it works fine for me. Must not have any alcoholic beverages prior to taking or so I read.
It is not narcotic and I was advised to use it infrequently, however I have a much older relative who takes it every night. Just wondering if there are any risks associated with taking it on a daily basis.

P.S. Bought a package of 600 pills for $6 at Sam's club, so I'm all set for a few years.
I have taken half of 25mg because it really helps with the hangover the next day. Sinuses are cleared.

I've taken the 25mg (not drinking) and it made me feel drugged when I finally woke up. So I usally just use 1/2 of the pill and its I use these occasionally not all the time as I dont need another addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 09:24 AM

14,894 posts, read 12,056,823 times
I take tylenol PM on rare occasions that something (usually a joint or muscle) hurts, so that pain doesn't keep me from a good night's sleep. I don't take it often as I find it sometimes leaves me with a groggy "hangover" in the morning, and I also think taking it on a regular basis might build up tolerance to the drug.

I can think of two occasions where I found the tylenol PM to be a lifesaver. Once was when I had an abscessed molar and was undergoing a root canal on that tooth. This was intensely painful, I was offered narcotic pain meds but declined since these tend to make me sick sick sick. The dentist suggested round the clock Motrin instead. I took the tylenol PM so I could sleep at night, and for the most part it helped.

The other time was more recently when I had a cardiac pacemaker implanted. It was mildly uncomfortable in the first couple weeks after the surgery, and extra strength tylenol did a great job of controlling the discomfort. But it was hard to sleep at night, it would hurt to change positions, so I figured the best bet was to just sleep on my back. That's hard to do too, but when I took a nighttime dose of tylenol PM, I was able to sleep through the night, on my back, with no discomfort.

The benedryl in the tylenol PM had an added benefit after the pacemaker implant. It also mitigated the foreign body reaction (in the form of an itchy rash) and inflammation over the pacemaker site.

I think I took the tylenol PM in both instances for about two weeks.

I've been sleeping like a baby at night since that pacemaker implant. That's also partly due to the combination of meds (antiarrhythmia, high blood pressure) I take at bedtime. These make me sleepy, but that's a good thing. And no drowsy hangover in the AM.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:36 AM

20 posts, read 9,384 times
I use a combination of 200mg of 5-HTP and 3mg of Melatonin to sleep, it works better than prescription Ambien and is not addictive.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:47 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,420,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The study I posted was from Harvard Medical School and published in JAMA. Everyone can make their own decisions but I’m certainly not risking it, and angry that I took them so long.

These findings are relatively recent. People assume that their docs go home and read medical journals and keep up with the newest developments but I doubt most do. Your PCP might not know. Print the abstract and take it with you next time. If she still dismisses it out of hand then maybe find a new doc. I once brought a couple of abstracts to a GI doc after I used a specific probiotic strain to cure myself of a chronic condition she told me she couldn’t do anything about (I thought she would use the info to help other patients in my circumstance)...she wouldn’t even glance at them and declared “supplements can be harmful”. Last time I went to her.
I am fortunate to have one of the PCPs who actually loves his job and DOES go home and read all kinds of articles in Journals. He also answers emails on the weekends and late at night. I tried to get him as my PCP 7 yrs ago but the CMA Office Gatekeeper would not allow me to do so. My PCP of 17yrs finally retired in Oct 2018 and I jumped quickly through hoops and the Gatekeeper allowed me to get my new PCP.
Here is MY personal bottom line on any of this stuff. I made it 66 years healthy and happy. The dealbreaker for me will be the "D-word" (dementia of any type) I keep a .357 magnum in my home for that in-case. My son and I have talked about it for 15 yrs. I am NOT depressed or sad or any of the things you might want me to call mental health for. I just don't want my son's memories of me to be me fading into the sunset and not knowing who he is, or any of the other dementia symptoms that are so horrible. I have taken care of many dementia patients. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy or any of the moderators on city-data. MY CHOICE.
In the meantime, menopause is the worst Medical malady of my life. I cannot think of one positive thing about it, esp the need for anticholinergic meds. I shall take my chances. Maybe I will take it 10 yr or 10 months before anything "D-word" happens, IF even happens at all. I took it previously for 10 yrs before the Harvard study or any of the others and never had dementia. Matter of fact, the combo of SSRI's and a pain medication gave me enough short-term memory loss over 4 yrs that at 52 I was being worked up for early-onset dementia. Pain management MDs make you take antidepressants because they insist you must be depressed living with chronic pain. It landed me in the hospital and they found out that medication combo was the culprit. They stopped the SSRI med and I got my short-term memory back over 3 months. I'll continue down my happy path and am not telling anyone else what to do or how to take any medications. We'll live happily ever after.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,661,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSkye View Post
I use a combination of 200mg of 5-HTP and 3mg of Melatonin to sleep, it works better than prescription Ambien and is not addictive.
My friend had me working with 5HTP and could not get it to work. She used it but then found 500mg L Tryptophan works much better along with 50mg B6 (P5P).

I have a sleep combo with 1/2mg Melatonin and 500mg Inositol and often Calms Forte' tabs and I get a dreamy 10 some hrs of sleep. Start my routine about 1 hr or a little more before I hit the pillow.

I've avoided those heavy duty sleep drugs...and it took me some time to get it right for my sleep.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:58 PM

3,359 posts, read 2,326,418 times
I took the children's liquid benadryl every night until the bottle was empty because I needed something temporary when I had a lot of stress many years ago. I only took a child's dose but I was already in my 30s then. It took the edge off and helped me get drowsy. That's all it did and all I needed it to do. I don't think I'd take it every night indefinitely.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,461,844 times
I do use it as a sleep aid when I travel or have trouble sleeping for some other reason. Right now we have a little something under our house, think it is a bird but it starts chirping about midnight and it is keeping me awake I think tonight I will take whatever to put me to sleep so I won't hear the squeaky noise all night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness