Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,515,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
High.

Apparently it's pretty normal to go 300/200 while exercising. I've never taken my blood pressure while doing so but the veins in my forehead definitely think it's high.

BP should not go above 200 systolic (the high #) when exercising. When it goes above 220 you risk cardiac injury (heart attack).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,223,174 times
Interesting that you post this OP--just yesterday one of my parents had a similar blood pressure reading which is why I stopped in this forum. Her BP was going up very high and then down. Just as they were about to let her leave the hospital it went a bit higher than yours. She stayed overnight and had more tests today. Two EKG's and a couple stress tests showed nothing wrong with her heart. CAT Scan showed no problems with her kidneys. Blood work showed nothing. She goes back tomorrow for something. She's in her late 70's and generally in pretty good health for a person her age.

She'll now have to take BP medicine.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:26 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to stroke by damaging and weakening your brain's blood vessels, causing them to narrow, rupture or leak. High blood pressure can also cause blood clots to form in the arteries leading to your brain, blocking blood flow and potentially causing a stroke. Dementia.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/art-20045868

Old 10-15-2019, 11:07 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times
All tests came back normal, The brain MRI and neck vein test came back clear. My mother had a major stroke at 70 that put her in a wheelchair for life. She could speak but couldn't walk and use her left arm. My Mothers side of family has a bad history of strokes.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:10 PM

48,255 posts, read 34,376,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
High.

Apparently it's pretty normal to go 300/200 while exercising. I've never taken my blood pressure while doing so but the veins in my forehead definitely think it's high.
I take mine right after an hour at the gym, and today is was 99/72, my pulse was high at 105.

It is my understand that is the length of time you have high blood pressure that does the most damage, by damage, I mean death. Mine went up to 199/114 and I went to ER. They said it was concerning but required no immediate action, but I saw my GP the next week and got on meds.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2019, 06:21 AM

7,112 posts, read 4,950,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
All tests came back normal, The brain MRI and neck vein test came back clear. My mother had a major stroke at 70 that put her in a wheelchair for life. She could speak but couldn't walk and use her left arm. My Mothers side of family has a bad history of strokes.

There are three mechanism for strokes:1) embolic- blood clot from the heart or carotids breaks lose and floats down stream until it clogs an artery in the brain. (2) thrombotic- blood clot forms right in an artery in the brain. These usually form at night while sleeping and blood flow/blood pressure is low. (3) Hemorrhagic- artery in the brain bursts. These occur in an aneurysm- a widened, weak spot in the artery, or when the BP gets high enough to burst a fragile, hardened artery.

Older folks often have "systolic HTN." The tp number is 170+ but the bottom number is often low, like 70 or less. This is due to two factors- the acoustics involved in taking a BP reading- sound travels better in an old, stiff artery than in a young, elastic artery, and the body is reacting to poor blood flow thru old, narrowed arteries, making the bP go up to get enough oxygen to organs.

That poses a dilemma for treatment: you want lower pressure to prevent a burst artery, but keep the pressure hi enough to feed the organs. I've seen many old pts ho do much better in terms of mental alertness, memory, strength etc if we left the bp 160-180...Plus, if you lower the bp too much (even 120/), you run the risk of thrombotic stroke.

In old folks who have bp readings with a wide split from the top to bottom numbers-- take the bp by palpation-- put the cuff on as usual, but feel for the pulse at the wrist as you release the cuff pressure. The true systolic pressure is where you just start to feel the pulse coming thru. A 180/60 may be seen to really be 130 systolic-- no need for treatment.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:32 AM

13,627 posts, read 12,242,954 times
Quote:
I think that they say 220/120 is when they get extremely worried about a stroke RIGHT NOW. 180/110 is when they treat you for it RIGHT NOW as opposed to sending you away with a script for a diuretic or CCB or whatever.

But it sounds like hypertension runs in your family and you might need to be on BP meds.

The real problem with it is the long term effects, especially on kidneys but also the cardiovascular system and long term stroke risk.

But I'm not sure that there's a magic number when you're guaranteed to rupture a vein or artery.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:46 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,605,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think that they say 220/120 is when they get extremely worried about a stroke RIGHT NOW. 180/110 is when they treat you for it RIGHT NOW as opposed to sending you away with a script for a diuretic or CCB or whatever.

But it sounds like hypertension runs in your family and you might need to be on BP meds.

The real problem with it is the long term effects, especially on kidneys but also the cardiovascular system and long term stroke risk.

But I'm not sure that there's a magic number when you're guaranteed to rupture a vein or artery.
There isn't, because arterial elasticity is a major factor.

OP, I think with your family history, you likely should be on meds. You may need to drastically change your diet, but it may be that your genes are such that your diet is not the most important factor.

Also, I think you should get a home BP cuff, and start tracking your BP at home. This will sort out whether that high reading was an anomaly.

Did the ER give you suggestions for followup care? What were they?

Old 10-16-2019, 11:33 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,714,975 times
Quote:
My blood pressure when up to 234/100 the hospital ER said and all tests came back after normsl.
I entered the hospital with a CHF in progress and my BP was "Unreadable" as their devices only went to 300.... Yeah, survived...

The fun thing was after I got on the meds for 6 months the doctor asked me to chart my BP daily for one month before seeing him. I did so and he about croaked seeing my BP at 99/56 or something like that...He said "Your blood pressure should be around 120 on high side"....Oh, that explained the moments of blackness at times....Yeah, now I'm around 115-130

Old 10-16-2019, 03:14 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,515,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I entered the hospital with a CHF in progress and my BP was "Unreadable" as their devices only went to 300.... Yeah, survived...

The fun thing was after I got on the meds for 6 months the doctor asked me to chart my BP daily for one month before seeing him. I did so and he about croaked seeing my BP at 99/56 or something like that...He said "Your blood pressure should be around 120 on high side"....Oh, that explained the moments of blackness at times....Yeah, now I'm around 115-130

Our Dr asked us to chart daily also, but she gave instructions to call her if it went higher or lower than certain limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness